Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 17:14   #436
Senior - BHPian

did you guys ever hear of a special limited editorin bug from around 74 sold in the US as a"sunbug"
Old 10th December 2009, 07:17   #437
BHPian

The top frame is original. The badge on the trunk is not. Tail lights and signals are original. Note: elephants foot t/lights came in '73 on the 1303s and the Euro cars still ran the smaller front turn signals. Turn signals did not go to bumper till 75 or 76.

The rear window and frame and seal are not original nor the right size -- looks horrible. Low quality install of the top frame. Looks like the intermediate pads have not been installed. Otherwise looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
The car looks nice overall but by looking at the pics i found two things which are not original in this car first being the frame for the hood attached to the body and the second being the badge on the hood.I'm attaching a pic of a 1974 beetle cabrio and have marked out the things i am talking about.

I also have a doubt about the insdicators on the fendors of this car but not sure because there are some cars with them and some without so need to find that one out.

Attachment 241989

Attachment 241990

Attachment 241991

Attachment 241993

source for images- (http://www.vea.qc.ca/vea/v/vw74cab.jpg
&
http://www.dyna.co.za/cars/VW_74_Bee..._Red_sf111.jpg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
did you guys ever hear of a special limited editorin bug from around 74 sold in the US as a"sunbug"
yes. in hellas metallic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
No wasif they are not.Look at the pics i have uploaded.The frame is for the hood because the hoot is supported by that frame.Have another look at the pics i have uploaded.See look at the portion where the behind the front doors in the three pics uploaded by me none of the cars have that.And apart from that there is no glass in the first place to have a frame for it.
Nope. The "frame" you are referring to is the edge of the front and rear glasses. They are not for supporting the top frame. And the glasses can be rolled down all the way so that they are not visible as in the green car you posted.

Last edited by v12 : 10th December 2009 at 13:07.
Old 10th December 2009, 15:22   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Boss

Take a closer look at the pic of the green bug you posted .

You will see what you are refering to as a "frame" is actually the surround on the window glass that winds up and down.

Also look at the orange bug closely and you will see the convertible top is mounted on a black frame that will sit on top of the rolled up windows to provide a watertight seal to keep out rain and stuff.

With regards to the Wolsfburg crest i meant that it is an OE fitment. Not an expert on the Bugs and don't know when it was dicontinued. What it means is that is very much an acceptable badge to have on that car. maybe a Ford badge would have looked a bit odd there but not this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
The top frame is original. The badge on the trunk is not. Tail lights and signals are original. Note: elephants foot t/lights came in '73 on the 1303s and the Euro cars still ran the smaller front turn signals. Turn signals did not go to bumper till 75 or 76.

The rear window and frame and seal are not original nor the right size -- looks horrible. Low quality install of the top frame. Looks like the intermediate pads have not been installed. Otherwise looks good.

Nope. The "frame" you are referring to is the edge of the front and rear glasses. They are not for supporting the top frame. And the glasses can be rolled down all the way so that they are not visible as in the green car you posted.

Hi guys

Sorry for that mistake i made.I was refering to the rear glass frames which are not visible in any of these pics but later i looked up a VW catalog and found my mistake.Thankx again for clarify that.Sometimes Mr.Google dosen't show all the relevent images.

Did you guys notice one thing?The hood is a flat one and not round at the top.What do you guys think of that?
Old 10th December 2009, 19:16   #439
BHPian

That's because there's no padding installed. These tops have the following layers:

1. Headliner
2. Insulation wrap -- the vinyl portion of the wrap is at the bottom
3. Original horsehair insulation or foam replacement
4. The cloth portion of #2 which is folded over the insulation/foam
5. The vinyl or canvas outer layer
Many of these vert here in India leave our 2-4, but that is needed to give the top its shape.

Having said that -- the top of the vert is actually flat even with the padding. But, having no padding accentuates it more.
Old 16th December 2009, 23:22   #440
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

I'd spotted this gorgeous VW Bus a year or so ago. Had seen it in Goa (Panjim) Found them when I was cleaning my hard disc!

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-copy-dscn2739.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dscn2737.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dscn2738.jpg  

Old 16th December 2009, 23:27   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Guys,

I'd spotted this gorgeous VW Bus a year or so ago. Had seen it in Goa (Panjim) Found them when I was cleaning my hard disc!

Enjoy!

That looks like a neat bus.
Old 17th December 2009, 07:33   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Guys,

Enjoy!
Nice find......is this the same ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1319708-post153.html
Old 17th December 2009, 08:56   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post

The White and beige VW Bus is as nice as I have ever seen.

It reminds me of a VW Bug that we saw a few years back in Columbus Ohio "CAR WEEKEND" with Vintage, Classics and everything else thrown in, over 2,000 cars in all. The Bug was a 1960's and had an tent platform mounted on the top with a small ladder up to it that could sleep two. The unit was an after market item and looked awesome. I didn't have a chance to speak to the owner and figured that the tent section must have folded down. When I get back to Toronto I will dig up the phots of it and post.
Old 17th December 2009, 09:47   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post

Yup! she's the same!

She looked really nice. Especially in the Goan backdrop, she's gorgeous!
Old 17th December 2009, 13:36   #445
BHPian

This is Nitins 1963 VW Micro Bus, who sadly is now no longer with us,but in my view still rates among one of the best in Goa. also the only
Indian bus i managed to get featured in Ultra VW Magazine in the UK 18 months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-hpim1119.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-haz1.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-hpim1063.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-hpim0805.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-hpim1066.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 23rd December 2009, 16:46   #446
BHPian

this is a 1302 or 1302S but never 74 as 74 was 1303S with curved windshield and disc brakes,another thing no super beetle ( 1302,1302s 1303s) came with 1300 engine they had 1600 as standard engine,cant scan and upload books but can give plenty of references on this,cheers Folks
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:06   #447
BHPian

if you want to buy it go ahead and get it don't bother about the price and all the things people have said. Hear your gut.10 years down the line 5 lakhs would look like a small amount. Buy the car and rework the things that you don't like..also negotiate the price if possible.but don't bother an i10 Kappa costs 5 lakhs on the road .the value of the car appreciates over years as opposed to buying a new car whose value depreciates. go ahead and take the plunge.

Moderator Note - Please avoid typing with excessive "Dots".

Last edited by v12 : 24th December 2009 at 00:56. Reason: Excessive dots
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:11   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Gents, this car has been sold to Pune some time back.
Old 24th December 2009, 21:09   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

A well restored and maintained VW Beetle sighted by me just the other evening at Gariahat area in Kolkata.Kolkatans may be able to tell us more about this car! Am sorry for the picture quality

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc04554.jpg
Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc04553.jpg
Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc04555.jpg
Old 24th December 2009, 22:15   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A well restored and maintained VW Beetle sighted by me just the other evening at Gariahat area in Kolkata.Kolkatans may be able to tell us more about this car! Am sorry for the picture quality

Attachment 250846
Attachment 250847
Attachment 250848
Check this out, this beetle has been restored by our Indorjit da.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1400501-post230.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks