Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 15:56   #631
BHPian

what my info says it is a 1600 super bug -German, as i have seen this car personally
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-1.jpg  

Old 18th June 2010, 16:08   #632
BHPian

and here is my car ,pls let me know what year model,country is it,and the trick to judge the country of origin from the face of the car
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-2.jpg  

Old 18th June 2010, 17:27   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
This is a pic of a Beetle seen in the 2008 Auto jumble any idea what model is it ?
It's either a 71 or a 71 1302 Super beetle. Note the shape of the front edge of the trunk lid. It is a more rounded U shape, vs. the standard beetle which is more narrower U (almost a broad V) shape. Same shape as Inderpal's car.

Even though the owner believes it's a '70, it's probably because the build/registration date may be 1970. But, Aug 1 '70 on is a '71 model year. So this is definitely not a '70.

Also, supers were not made in Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
and here is my car ,pls let me know what year model,country is it,and the trick to judge the country of origin from the face of the car
It's a '71 or '72 North America spec Super (wasn't marketed as 1302 or 1302 there). Larger turn signals and vents in front apron. Looks like either a modified or later year bumper.

Byas

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2010 at 16:45. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 18th June 2010, 17:35   #634
BHPian

Note the more pointed/narrower trunk shape of a regular Beetle in the pic below which I borrowed from the forum
Byas

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2010 at 16:45.
Old 19th June 2010, 03:02   #635
Senior - BHPian

A pic of a Karman and a Bug from an event in delhi a year and a half back. Any identifications ?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-untitled2.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-untitled4.jpg  

Old 19th June 2010, 10:58   #636
BHPian

dear 71 convertible he orange beetle was a part of Chandigarh beetle drive and i was a part of it too, and mine is 71 1302 S,and has nothing to do with America as it was built and sold in Germany(as the birth certificate claims)but it doesn't have the disc brakes as pavan says,so what i understand there is a lots of variation in different models and we just cant simply claim,we all are far behind the excellence of knowledge.hope i am not wrong,here is the certificate
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-22.jpg  

Old 19th June 2010, 11:03   #637
BHPian

Dear Indrojit, this beetle belonged to Mr.Yadwinder singh Aidhy, a young collector and restorer at delhi, a wonderful and hardworking man, he sold off her few months back and is a 1970 1300, borrowing bumper guards from the fiat,overall the car runs well as i have driven it ,during statesman rally(the car didn't participate ,but the fellow friend, came to see the participating vehicles)the same day we met for the first time.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:49   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Your friend does not have the 1600cc Super Beetle.
Where on the earth did you read me mentioning or claiming it is a 1600cc bug ?? I hope you are not thinking that all Supers are necessarily 1600cc with your limited knowledge of bugs I very well know what is the cc of a 1302 The car is well kept and belongs to a very creditable gentleman and yes it is up for sale but want to avoid mentioning any prices as folks like you will only find faults, remember people living in glass houses must never throw stones at others
Old 19th June 2010, 11:52   #639
Senior - BHPian

Inderpalgill ji with due respect I will call you a BUG man in the BUG (beetle). I salute your love for these machines and like the way you take it.

I am following this thread for quite some time and I am amazed you even went to Germany to take part in the rally, you must have witnessed many magnificant machines in your life it must have been enthralling experience and I would request to share few with us.

I envy you and your car it just seems rolled out of the assembly line, apart from this I simply love the car for its simplicity yet the detailed restoration.

Would you mind sharing your experiences and the BUG journey in these historical machines, few pictures aswell as I am a pictorial reader.

Last edited by chanu : 19th June 2010 at 11:54.
Old 19th June 2010, 12:18   #640
BHPian

Dear Chanu ji, thanks for so many good words and appreciation, what i think, no man is ever perfect and nor am i, actually this was my second participation in the vw show the first being in 2008 at huckeswagen near cologne,this time i got a chance to witness very rare models and was lucky to drive a 58 bug offered by the organizer friend in the hills and beautiful valleys of oberwolfach black forest, i also had a chance to see a german bike museum,oberwolfach has a great history with mathematics, but i was of not much interest with maths ,so preferred enjoying bugs from 13-16th may, the total no was 245,it was a real heaven and i missed like minded people from India, being the only indian and a sardar with turban was but obvious to be a face in the crowd, many kids asked for a picture ,with me, i believe nothing can be more beautiful in my life ,what i saw, also got a chance to buy some good original German parts like headlamp assemblies hella for my 61 bug,undergoing paint n all,a dash pad for my 71 superbug,that was worn out with life ,a bosch alternator with fan, some i lac , 2lac and 2.5 lac(which i saw for the first time -non replica) badges,roof rack badge, some bosch switches etc

adding some data again, i rented a car and drove to stutgart to see the MB center followed by Switzerland(Zurich,Interlaken, Lucerne) followed up to Paris ,and flew back to India with life time sweet memories,i have made a still pic dvd for friends and foes,pls feel free if you need a copy,and i would not charge for that ha ha, posting pics here is not possible as i have treasured approx 1000 pics for the vw event setting aside the rest of my Europe tour.
interestingly got a chance to have a ride(not drive) in a schimwagen, i really appreciate German engineering, as what a marvel they built in 30's,and would really say
" ITS NOT A CAR ITS A VOLKSWAGEN " !!

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2010 at 16:58. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post. Thanks
Old 19th June 2010, 13:22   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Indrojit, this beetle belonged to Mr.Yadwinder singh Aidhy, a young collector and restorer at delhi, a wonderful and hardworking man, he sold off her few months back and is a 1970 1300, borrowing bumper guards from the fiat,overall the car runs well as i have driven it ,during statesman rally(the car didn't participate ,but the fellow friend, came to see the participating vehicles)the same day we met for the first time.

Yes i very well remember this car. This car couldn't participate because that year classic were allowed only 1500cc upwards. As a result no Beetles participated. The car had also stopped during that same rally due to some problem. Any idea who owns it now ?
Old 19th June 2010, 15:20   #642
BHPian

Quote:
dear 71 convertible he orange beetle was a part of Chandigarh beetle drive and i was a part of it too, and mine is 71 1302 S,and has nothing to do with America as it was built and sold in Germany(as the birth certificate claims)but it doesn't have the disc brakes as pavan says,so what i understand there is a lots of variation in different models and we just cant simply claim,we all are far behind the excellence of knowledge.hope i am not wrong,here is the certificate
Inderpal,
Interesting. Couple of thoughts -- the indicators and vents were US/NA only. And I'm willing to be that the rear tail lights are the larger sized tombstones. And, it does not have discs. (Though it has a 1302S badge).

Could be that it was a NA/US spec car that was taken delivery in Germany. THis happened a lot. VW (and other German marques) had a tourist program where you take delivery in Germany and drive it during your vacation in Eur and then they ship it back to the US. Also, could have been bought by a returning serviceman. The destination on Birth Cert does not necc indicate the country it was specced for. My RHD super birth cert also shows Germany as destination.

This would explain everything but the badge, which could have been replaced by the first owner.

Alternatively, it could be a German car on which the owner put in US spec parts.

Do you have pics of the stickers on the door jamb and the vin plate near the windshield?

Also, what does your speedo look like? Are the main markings in KMPH or MPH?

Byas
Old 19th June 2010, 15:53   #643
BHPian

hi super, i do have the plate,and the badge reads the same as the certificate does,and as per my knowledge majority tourist prog cars were delivered via hamburg ie hamburg being the port of destination then other parts of germany as is the case with my rhd westfalia bus ,which interestingly has the sliding door on the drivers' side(RHD)
Old 19th June 2010, 16:28   #644
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few pics of some bugs and a Karman from the Ludhiana's first road show. So What are the years of these bugs ?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-untitled1.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-untitled15.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-untitled16.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-untitled17.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-untitled18.jpg  

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 19th June 2010 at 16:34.
Old 19th June 2010, 17:21   #645
BHPian

Quote:
hi super, i do have the plate,and the badge reads the same as the certificate does,and as per my knowledge majority tourist prog cars were delivered via hamburg ie hamburg being the port of destination then other parts of germany as is the case with my rhd westfalia bus ,which interestingly has the sliding door on the drivers' side(RHD)
The vin plate by the dash and sticker on door jamb (can you post pics of it?) are again signs of a US car as back then they were only required for US cars. What about your speedo? I'll check my birth cert for which city is stated on mine. Puzzling...

US supers though not badged as 1302S are listed as 1302S on their birth certificates. i just checked on the Samba for examples.

So, apart from the frankfurt destination, many indicators remain that it was a US car. All Euro spec 1600s had disk brakes as you will see from the owners manual or the sales brochures. Could still be a US military person picking up as there was significant US military presence in West germany back then.

BTW, I'm not too familiar with buses. But, is the sliding door for a RHD bus being on the RHD side rare? We used to have a 71 or 72 bus back in '76 and it was RHD, but had the sliding door on the right side (only).

Byas

Last edited by 71Convertible : 19th June 2010 at 17:37.

Most Viewed