Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2013, 16:33   #1051
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Classic Volkswagens in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Along with this restructuring, comes a change in company policies on payment and shipping, the most significant of which are discontinuation of all existing credit lines, ..........
Very sensible thing to do. After hearing about your recent experience in Bangalore, smart move. Further as a business which deals in parts that has a limited market, it does not make any sense in offering credit. As a chartered accountant, I endorse this change in the credit policy.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 17:09   #1052
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Warning:

the famous and much loved jalopy shop in Bangalore has I think a change in management as they are less the enthusiasts that they were at one time and more the business men ! So everyone tread with caution.

Cheers
Amusing to hear this from you..! But there's nothing wrong with people being professional with their Set-Up, i have had my share of issues with Jalopy shop, but those were a few stray cases of delay in hard to find parts. And i have always believed in CASH & CARRY.

Quote:
It's rather amusing to think that a business can be run by anyone other than a business man! Disregarding the businessman's personal interest in the chosen field of business, the primary aim of any business enterprise is to remain profitable.

With regard to the restructuring within Jalopy Shop, it's more of an expansion, than a change in management. It just became too difficult to run it as a one man show. So there are more people on board now, who will primarily be handling finances and shipping (for now).

Along with this restructuring, comes a change in company policies on payment and shipping, the most significant of which are discontinuation of all existing credit lines, no more consolidated billing at the end of each quarter to regular customers and insisting on full payment before processing any order (no matter how insignificant the total).

While I understand that these new terms might prove to be inconvenient for a few (especially regulars who have gotten used to being treated as friends rather than customers), it is my earnest hope that most customers would view it as a positive move that would help the business at least sustain itself, if not grow further.
Understood your View Pankaj, and i really appreciate the fact that you have never utilized the Forum ( T-BHP ) for your business venture, And yes, your set-up has been run professionally with a personal touch, which we dont get to see. And as always, Straight Trees are chosen first to Cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Very sensible thing to do. After hearing about your recent experience in Bangalore, smart move. Further as a business which deals in parts that has a limited market, it does not make any sense in offering credit. As a chartered accountant, I endorse this change in the credit policy.

Cheers

KPS
It is understandable that every customer is Finicky atleast 9.9 out of 10 in all cases. Also the Classic and Vintage scene is growing big time in a city like Bangalore and since the customer base increases, i would commend Jalopy shop for adhering to a better Approach.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 22:27   #1053
BANNED

My dear friend just picked up this Bus from Gods own Country, 24 hours ago

1) Single Owner
2) Driven by a Single driver till date
3) Original to the core.

Needs a Little TLC.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-479860_636673949692564_131719915_n.jpg  

Old 11th March 2013, 22:35   #1054
BHPian

Now that the restoration 'bug' has bitten me.

Where does one pick up a VW Beetle to try and do something similar with it?

Been thinking of a replacement for my Maruti 800 (1996), most recently did Delhi Mumbai a few years ago, and runs just fine. Instead of putting out for a VW Polo, thought an old beetle might be nicer.

J
Old 13th March 2013, 13:35   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehan-Sam View Post
Now that the restoration 'bug' has bitten me.

Where does one pick up a VW Beetle to try and do something similar with it?

Been thinking of a replacement for my Maruti 800 (1996), most recently did Delhi Mumbai a few years ago, and runs just fine. Instead of putting out for a VW Polo, thought an old beetle might be nicer.

J
Be careful, the bug has side effects.

Don't expect a Bug to replace your Polo duties. Yes, it can be made reliable, but its unfair to expect it to become your sole daily driver. A weekend runabout should suffice, and that too with a fair amount of dedication.

Cars come up for sale from time to time, often on the forum (if you read the forum you will see them all buzzing around Bangalore! I'm sure Pawan Kadam can find you one). Be warned, they are now suprisingly expensive for a mass market classic.

Spotted this the other day at a workshop.

Classic Volkswagens in India-01.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-02.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 22:10   #1056
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
My dear friend just picked up this Bus from Gods own Country, 24 hours ago

1) Single Owner
2) Driven by a Single driver till date
3) Original to the core.

Needs a Little TLC.
The Ugly duckling is now out and Better
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-baay.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 23:19   #1057
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wow, looks super amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The Ugly duckling is now out and Better
The Bus wasn't ugly before and we Classic car lovers, love classic cars in whatever condition/ color it is!

Last edited by Karthik1100 : 27th March 2013 at 23:21.
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:09   #1058
BHPian

hi,the thread is getting better day by day, can some one tell how many type 34 vw's exist in India and in what conditions
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:25   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
hi,the thread is getting better day by day, can some one tell how many type 34 vw's exist in India and in what conditions
I googled Type 34 and found this picture. Never knew that they made this coupe, always the regular one. This coupe must be rare, looks so nice, thought that I'll share as there may be others unaware. Picture taken from the net. And Type 34 is supposed to be 50 years old.

How many left? I know one got scrapped about 25 years ago, was left lying in a workshop and the left it when workshop was passed on. Ote number was MRH 3200 or 5800, or similar. Another golden one was lying behind Modern Garage at Mumbai Central with a MPD registered Splitty bus and a low bonnet Jeep, must have gone to the smelters.
A blue and white one was regularly seen, probably Parsi owned, I think the front screen got damaged, I have not seen that one since maybe 15 years. That's 3 which are in all probabilty history. I don't know of any survivor at the moment.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-karmann-34.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:33   #1060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I googled Type 34 and found this picture.
I think that is a one-off fastback prototype (and rather nice looking at that). I think I saw it at the Stiftung museum, along with many other very interesting prototypes.

Quote:
I don't know of any survivor at the moment.
I did see one at Avelar's in Goa, stripped, bare shell in primer. Had been like that for years. Probably still like that.
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:03   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
I googled Type 34 and found this picture... How many left? I know one got scrapped about 25 years ago... That's 3 which are in all probabilty history. I don't know of any survivor at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I did see one at Avelar's in Goa, stripped, bare shell in primer. Had been like that for years. Probably still like that.
There's one functional here, up North, and I've talked about it on the forum before. Let me see if I can locate an old photo.
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:43   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
I know of two for sure. One in absolutely stunning condition is in Amritsar, Red in colour. I think the owner himself owns a workshop. The other that I have seen is at Avelars in Goa. Been in the same condition for +15 years and might remain so for next 15 . Type 34's have always been very rare and the shape is fondly called as "Razor's Edge".
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:57   #1063
BHPian

Don't know where else to put this up. A shop in UP, with its visage designed like a Beetle! Clicked on the cellphone, while driving through the congested town place, with bright sunlight reflecting on the glass, hence the poor pic quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-beetleshop.jpg  

Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 21:31   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
I googled Type 34 and found this picture. Never knew that they made this coupe, always the regular one.
This fastback edition of the Type 34 never made it past the prototype stage (circa mid 60s). This design was rejected by VW due to excessive engine noise in the passenger compartment, since the designers at Karmann did not add a partition between the engine compartment and the passenger compartment. This can be observed in the pic below with the rear door open.

Classic Volkswagens in India-osr14set.jpg

Another Type 34 version that did not progress beyond the prototype stage was the Convertible.
Structural issues that could not be economically fixed for mass production, was the reason cited for this failure.

Classic Volkswagens in India-t12g.jpg

At the same time another Karmann creation that suffered the same fate due to structural issues, was the Type 3 Notchback convertible.

Incidentally, in the early 70s, VW of Brazil in collaboration with Karmann Brazil developed, another fastback inspired by the Type 34 Fastback pictured above, though it was developed on the Type 1 chassis & mechanicals.

That and some other very interesting VW do Brazilia models can be seen here :

http://www.hammerand.de/vw/xvwbrasil.html

Last edited by thebulletboy : 3rd April 2013 at 21:50.
thebulletboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 12:40   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
This fastback edition of the Type 34 never made it past the prototype stage (circa mid 60s). This design was rejected by VW due to excessive engine noise in the passenger compartment, since the designers at Karmann did not add a partition between the engine compartment and the passenger compartment. This can be observed in the pic below with the rear door open.

Attachment 1068935

Another Type 34 version that did not progress beyond the prototype stage was the Convertible.
Structural issues that could not be economically fixed for mass production, was the reason cited for this failure.

Attachment 1068936

At the same time another Karmann creation that suffered the same fate due to structural issues, was the Type 3 Notchback convertible.

Incidentally, in the early 70s, VW of Brazil in collaboration with Karmann Brazil developed, another fastback inspired by the Type 34 Fastback pictured above, though it was developed on the Type 1 chassis & mechanicals.

That and some other very interesting VW do Brazilia models can be seen here :

http://www.hammerand.de/vw/xvwbrasil.html
Type 34 as per my knowledge was one of the most luxury model of vw in early sixties till end 60s they were 2.5 times costlier than the regular type 1 sedan many luxury features,67 bug told me one with Avelar-Goa and i have one with my friend in Amristsar and yes 67 bug you are right he own a dealership and we both were featured in an article in HT,iam not sure if i can post the publication here,moderators please allow, it has the picture of type 34 in red color,so two of them as per facts one running another needs attention

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks