Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 09:50   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess who's back?

After 9 gruelling years, many very very helpful and dedicated friends, my Figoni Falaschi () is ready to hit the Autobahns.

A tesaser picture till the kinks are sorted.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-00.jpg  

Old 4th May 2009, 09:54   #122
Senior - BHPian

It looks more like a Saoutchik or maybe even an Ervin Komenda creation !!!!!!
Old 4th May 2009, 10:01   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hehe. I tried to recreate the beautiful period collectible Foxcraft fender skirts. They are close, but still no dice. They are removable, and experimental, lets see. The car is work in progress, plenty to be done. But it is the realisation of a life long dream.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-2430998485_7ff0c83090.jpg  

Old 4th May 2009, 11:03   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
You know, it just struck me that it is indeed an Erwin Komenda creation, after all he is remembered for his work on Porsches, but is an unsung hero when it came to VWs, as was Karl Rabe. But that is a whole other discussion then.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:10   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Guess who's back?

After 9 gruelling years, many very very helpful and dedicated friends, my Figoni Falaschi is ready to hit the Autobahns.

Wow Karl, she looks fabulous in Diamond Black and Chrome. Can we have some more teaser pics ). Am specially interested in seeing pics of the rear profile (I love the way the rear just flows in an oval). Also, any other WIP pictures that you may want to share would be great...maybe in another thread...Thanks.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:18   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Wow Karl, she looks fabulous in Diamond Black and Chrome.
Hehe, coyly I must admit right now the bumpers and wheelcaps are painted silver, till I find a long-lasting chromewalla. I haven't taken any good pictures, the car was dirty and in the wrong setting. Let her come home, let her be polished then we'll take some good pictures.

Note the taillights have been completely fabricated by hand, I was very impressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-01.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-02.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 4th May 2009 at 12:20.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Wowie, Karl looks fabulous, so far so good I am sure you will keep pushing to complete the missing bits but for now atleast she's on the road and thats most important. Any pics of the dash board even if teaser ones I just love VW dashboards
Old 4th May 2009, 13:43   #128
BHPian

Thanks for the pics Karl. I am glad you found a complete set of oval hub caps. I like those period registration plates too, please help me in getting similar registration plates for my 55' Willys CJ3B. The taillights and the fender have been nicely crafted...Kudos to your tinker.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 4th May 2009 at 13:45.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:44   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Nice Beetle, but that looks like a 1969 1300 VW, wrongly badged as 1500.

The front bonnet is borrowed from a Super Beetle. lots of mix and matches done, but done neatly.
It's actually a 72 1302 (or 1302S) that's been wrongly badged. The steering wheel is from '72. The super bonnet will not fit on a non-super.

Byas
Old 4th May 2009, 13:55   #130
BHPian

Very nice!! Post more pics!!

Byas

Quote:
Guess who's back?

After 9 gruelling years, many very very helpful and dedicated friends, my Figoni Falaschi () is ready to hit the Autobahns.

Old 4th May 2009, 14:03   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wowie, Karl looks fabulous, so far so good I am sure you will keeppushing to complete the missing bits but for now atleast she's on the road and thats most important. Any pics of the dash board even if teaser ones I just love VW dashboards
Absolutely. After so many years of going nowhere and crook mechanics (I am aslo partly to blame!) I figured this is the best way to go about things. Now little by little (finances permitting!) the correct switches, lights, handles, armrests, window rubbers etc will fall in place. I was lucky to get a genuine Petri horn ring for this as well, it will go in once I have the horn button. Currently it says Honda!

An ammeter was drilled into the dash which I closed. A Beetle dash characteristically had a single large meter. A practical consideration is a fuel guage mounted below the dash, something we do need. Currently a Pricol unit, someday Ill get a Dehne guage, a paid option back then. A portion of the rear seat was stolen somewhere along the way, that was fabricated. Quarter window frames/stands went missing, they were completely fabricated by hand. The outcome is truly impressive. All trims/pattis are locally fabricated, as were the running boards.

Classic Volkswagens in India-03.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Thanks for the pics Karl. I am glad you found a complete set of oval hub caps. I like those period registration plates too, please help me in getting similar registration plates for my 55' Willys CJ3B. The taillights and the fender have been nicely crafted...Kudos to your tinker.
PM me the size and other details, Ill try and get in done next time Im in Bombay. They were gotten made for me by the same person responsible for the car being alive today, to whom I am ever indebted.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:28   #132
Senior - BHPian

No seriously Karl, the result is quite good (must commend Mr "K") would have loved to have seen her personally, maybe another weekend when she can be guest of honour at our Fiat dos.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:32   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
No seriously Karl, the result is quite good (must commend Mr "K") would have loved to have seen her personally, maybe another weekend when she can be guest of honour at our Fiat dos.
I was lucky that very few alterations were done to begin with, and bodyline was in level. The car was painted in full Standox plus wurth treatment at a friend's place in Pune.
Old 4th May 2009, 17:02   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Hehe, coyly I must admit right now the bumpers and wheelcaps are painted silver, till I find a long-lasting chromewalla. I haven't taken any good pictures, the car was dirty and in the wrong setting. Let her come home, let her be polished then we'll take some good pictures.

Note the taillights have been completely fabricated by hand, I was very impressed.
Very, very, very nice . Impressive fabrication work too!

Is the car in Pune?

Aditya
Old 4th May 2009, 18:06   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
Very, very, very nice . Impressive fabrication work too!

Is the car in Pune?

Aditya
Many thanks. Car is currently in Bombay, will bring it to Pune soon. Then we must meet.

Most Viewed