Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 09:48   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
BTW, I've noticed the oval had 2 options of bumpers- one is the set with the longer/thicker guards and top bars, as on your car, and other relatively plain one with the shorter guards on others (including the junked oval I remember seeing here).....I like the former though for this model!
The bumpers with over rider bars have been nick-named 'towel rail' bumpers. These were mainly for export markets, like the US where safety regulations just started coming in, and bumper heights were to be increased. They also featured 'bullet' front indicators set low in the front fenders as opposed to semaphores.

My car should have had semaphores, but came with these indicators mounted conventionally above the fenders. When we scrapped down we found no evidence of the semaphore slots being closed up. Anyways, to me a Beetle is not a Beetle without those few trademark touches like twin exhaust, towel rail bumpers, high mounted indicators etc. My car also didn't have the 'W' decklid, I got mine altered to resemble one. The end result is great, what say?
Old 10th May 2009, 23:44   #152
BHPian

Beetle under restoration

Spotted this Beetle undergoing complete restoration at Juhu Bandh in Mumbai, today.
Looks to be a nice car and probably a 60's model. Sorry, couldn't get a better picture as I was driving past with a lot of traffic to and fro, around.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-image1649.jpg  

Old 17th May 2009, 01:27   #153
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for bringing home Herbie Dikra (or is it Dikri?) home.
Shes looking good and the rear lights are looking great.
I am tempted to get a beetle to Oval-ise it.

When in Pune may i ride along you in the black beauty?
Old 17th May 2009, 10:54   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
When in Pune may i ride along you in the black beauty?
Any time sir, though I can only make driving noises and pretend as we sit in it - gear lever couple snapped yesterday
Old 18th May 2009, 22:24   #155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
- gear lever couple snapped yesterday
Thats sad, but its only a 10 minute job in fixing it. Drill a hole at that place and place a round headed bolt and fix it, easy
Old 19th May 2009, 09:45   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Any time sir, though I can only make driving noises and pretend as we sit in it - gear lever couple snapped yesterday
Do you mean the shift coupling which is under the rear seat portion of the tunnel (connecting shift rod to transmission)?

While you are at it check the shift bushing. This is very important to good shifting and reduces the play a lot.

B
Old 19th May 2009, 10:27   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Thats sad, but its only a 10 minute job in fixing it. Drill a hole at that place and place a round headed bolt and fix it, easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Do you mean the shift coupling which is under the rear seat portion of the tunnel (connecting shift rod to transmission)?

While you are at it check the shift bushing. This is very important to good shifting and reduces the play a lot.
Yup, the shift coupling under the rear seat. Drilled in 2 bolts and works fine for the time being. Am ordering a new one as well. Then the ignition switch burnt out! Replaced that, so far so good. 1st and reverse gear makes a terrible groan though. That will have to be looked into soon enough.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:32   #158
BHPian

Quote:
1st and reverse gear makes a terrible groan though. That will have to be looked into soon enough.
Probably shift bushing -- and even a worn shift bushing bracket.
B
Old 19th May 2009, 13:01   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Probably shift bushing -- and even a worn shift bushing bracket.
B
Shall check it out, thanks.

Currently Im using Amby tyres, larger profile than original (I think 5.90 15 vs 5.20 15?). As a result on sharp turns it scrapes the mudguard, plus the spare wheel doesn't fit in it's slot. Any suggestions? I really can't afford to import tyres at this point.
Old 19th May 2009, 13:28   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Currently Im using Amby tyres, larger profile than original (I think 5.90 15 vs 5.20 15?). As a result on sharp turns it scrapes the mudguard, plus the spare wheel doesn't fit in it's slot. Any suggestions? I really can't afford to import tyres at this point.
Temporarily raise the suspension by fabricating additional bushes, should solve the problem in the interim, you can always revert back to original once you have the right tire size.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:37   #161
BHPian

Quote:

Those tires should fit without scraping (is it 5.9 or 5.60?). I suspect your front torsion arms are sagging a bit. You should be able to fix by removing the control arms and re-indexing the torsion bars either on the inner or outer splines.

See this video -- do this, raise instead of lowering.

I bought 165/80SR15 radials locally for my bug (Bridgestones) -- fit with no issues. Originally came with 155SR15, but those are very hard to get. And, mine's got struts in front.

Byas
Old 20th May 2009, 09:50   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Many thanks.

Quote:
I suspect your front torsion arms are sagging a bit.
Yes indeed. She's practically a low rider.

Full new suspension in phase 2 of restoration. Sigh, wonder when that will happen.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:57   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Attn. VW gurus.

This car has been advertised for sale.

Classic Volkswagens in India-beetle.jpg

Can anyone positively identify the model year? The smaller front windscreen suggests to me it is pre-57. What say?

Conditions seems rough though.
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:49   #164
BHPian

Im no Beetle Guru but at a guess 60---67,unfortunatly most of the parts of the car that would give the age away are not in the picture.
Old 23rd May 2009, 02:28   #165
Senior - BHPian

Karl, your coveted 5 nut rims!!!
Semaphores concealed??
period door handles...... interesting or could be a collective job by our famous Goa man.

BTW where and for how much??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks