Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 18:40   #736
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
not manreet but manpreet he was my senior in school and mr Sarkaria is also restoring a super beetle
I know, I got him a SuperBeetle engine and a gearbox just recently
Old 15th October 2010, 23:51   #737
Team-BHP Support

I'd like to take you'll a few years back in time with some interesting sights captured on lens during our '08 Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore holiday!
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-copy-dscn2739.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dscn2737.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 16th October 2010 at 01:39. Reason: Post copied and edited to show bus in VW thread. Original post intact in travelouge
Old 30th October 2010, 11:23   #738
BHPian

The very famous Shimla Beetle , with a heart transplant !
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-100_1332.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-100_1333.jpg  

Old 31st October 2010, 14:55   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
The very famous Shimla Beetle , with a heart transplant !
Pardon my ignorance. but why is this car so famous? and what engine is it running?
Old 31st October 2010, 16:41   #740
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Pardon my ignorance. but why is this car so famous? and what engine is it running?
Must be famous for its modifications.

1) For a 1969-70 car the rear decklid is different, that of a 1974
2) The rear fenders are of 1974

Infact the whole of the rear of that Beetle is a straight lift-off from the SuperBeetle.

But, the car looks nice all in all.
Old 1st November 2010, 13:06   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Must be famous for its modifications.

1) For a 1969-70 car the rear decklid is different, that of a 1974
2) The rear fenders are of 1974

Infact the whole of the rear of that Beetle is a straight lift-off from the SuperBeetle.

But, the car looks nice all in all.
the car used to be in Ludhiana, when i was a kid of standard 4, then it was sold to some one in Simla, now running on a gypsy engine, and famous as she was used in a couple of movies, do not remember the movie names.and the decklid yes it has been cut later on with improper cut outs too,for ventilating the water cooled engine,overall she runs well
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:20   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
the car used to be in Ludhiana, when i was a kid of standard 4, then it was sold to some one in Simla, now running on a gypsy engine, and famous as she was used in a couple of movies, do not remember the movie names.and the decklid yes it has been cut later on with improper cut outs too,for ventilating the water cooled engine,overall she runs well

The Car belongs to the head of Himalayan Motorsports (organizers or the raid De Himalaya ) and till a few years ago was regularly used as a route Recce vehicle for the raid . The reason why i said "famous" was that participants in the raid have been very impressed by the capabilities of this car , there are sections in which a modified Gypsy also crawls in first gear, imagine doing a recce of those sections in a beetle. I think "Auto India" or C&BI also carried an article about the same vehicle a few years back, will dig it out and post a scan.

The car runs on a Gypsy 1 litre engine which has been bored out to 1050cc (approx) .
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:36   #743
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
The Car belongs to the head of Himalayan Motorsports (organizers or the raid De Himalaya ) and till a few years ago was regularly used as a route Recce vehicle for the raid . The reason why i said "famous" was that participants in the raid have been very impressed by the capabilities of this car , there are sections in which a modified Gypsy also crawls in first gear, imagine doing a recce of those sections in a beetle. I think "Auto India" or C&BI also carried an article about the same vehicle a few years back, will dig it out and post a scan.

The car runs on a Gypsy 1 litre engine which has been bored out to 1050cc (approx) .
Nice to know about the Beetle's escapades

But , a stock Beetle also is capable of going through the ardorous paths, Infact the modified engine may pose trouble, than an air-cooled which can run on and on if well tuned.

Do post the article, it will make an interesting read.

Some pics to prove the stock Beetle's performance, only the rear suspension is modded.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-dscn2394.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-img_8394.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-img_8480.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-p3013147.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-t23.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-p3013143.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc01819.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-img_8402.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-p3013150.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 2nd November 2010 at 12:54.
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:20   #744
BHPian

wow pawan, these pictures are really amazing, and yes a healthy bug, is no less than any jeep or what, i have heard many practical experiences from some old people who had used the beetle in African deserts and she drove very well,and here are some of my off road pics,i am planning a drive from Chandigarh to leh in the beetle, and would love to be accompanied by some more beetles or bus ( vw's) in the summers, it can be worked out to be a great expedition and can prove that v dubs are no less even after 40 years of age, why not you and your friends join me with your cars, we will be backed up by the vw India
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-tb1.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-tb2.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-tb3.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-tb4.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2010, 22:15   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
wow pawan, these pictures are really amazing, and yes a healthy bug, is no less than any jeep or what, i have heard many practical experiences from some old people who had used the beetle in African deserts and she drove very well,and here are some of my off road pics,i am planning a drive from Chandigarh to leh in the beetle, and would love to be accompanied by some more beetles or bus ( vw's) in the summers, it can be worked out to be a great expedition and can prove that v dubs are no less even after 40 years of age, why not you and your friends join me with your cars, we will be backed up by the vw India
Sounds like a epic plan
I recently traveled from Mumbai to Goa with my dad and brother in our '74 Bus(for the third time!) and we plan to do Mumbai - Bangalore sometime.
The bus even finished 1 lakh km on the way to Goa and the odometer rolled over:
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-71883_1552964696795_1015477226_31607856_3870260_n.jpg  

RandomUsername is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:37   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
Sounds like a epic plan
I recently traveled from Mumbai to Goa with my dad and brother in our '74 Bus(for the third time!) and we plan to do Mumbai - Bangalore sometime.
The bus even finished 1 lakh km on the way to Goa and the odometer rolled over:
wow this picture is really memorable, so we all can make an expedition, the cars can be lifted till chandigarh with the help of vw India and we can start them from chandigarh onwards ,it can be fun iam inspired from the event of vintage volks wagen challenge from erlangen to Beijing -china by 5 49 year beetles drove this distance with all original specs even the manual-wire brakes ,on 30th july 2009,
check there site
Vintage Volkswagen Challenge 2009 The Rallye
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:18   #747
BHPian

all the friends here, any idea of a schimwagen in India,has any one seen in India
Old 16th November 2010, 23:24   #748
BHPian

jetta mkII

There is a Jetta MKII lying in my society for the last year or so. It was a running vehicle till about 6 months ago. May still be running. Just found out its for sale. Will post some pics soon. Needs some restoration for sure.
Few questions:
1. How do i find out what year it was built, model etc - by looking at it externally?
2. How easy / difficult would it be to source parts?
3. How much should i quote if on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being concourse, i gave it a 3.5?
Old 17th November 2010, 09:42   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
There is a Jetta MKII lying in my society for the last year or so. It was a running vehicle till about 6 months ago. May still be running. Just found out its for sale. Will post some pics soon. Needs some restoration for sure.
Few questions:
1. How do i find out what year it was built, model etc - by looking at it externally?
2. How easy / difficult would it be to source parts?
3. How much should i quote if on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being concourse, i gave it a 3.5?
1.Look for the type of headlights,single /round/square/ and also the rear boot.
2.parts can be sourced from UK/USA
3.if it is a RHD-50000/- ,if it is LHD-35000/-
Old 17th November 2010, 23:21   #750
BHPian

jetta mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
1.Look for the type of headlights,single /round/square/ and also the rear boot.
2.parts can be sourced from UK/USA
3.if it is a RHD-50000/- ,if it is LHD-35000/-
The headlights are single rectangular ones.
What do i look for on the rear boot?
Indicators are on the bumper.
Most badges are missing except for the VW logo on the front radiator and Volkswagen on the left side rear panel below the boot.

Most Viewed