Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2008, 15:26   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Could you guys tell me what do you mean by 'Oval' when you are talking about a Beetle?

And pardon my ignorance
Sorry, I should've specified

The earliest of Beetles sold till early 53 had a rear windscreen in 2 parts, called the split.

Classic Volkswagens in India-split65.jpg

From 53 to late 57 the division between the two pieces dissapeared, giving rise to the oval rear window.

Classic Volkswagens in India-oval107.jpg

Post 57 the window became much larger and rectangular (ish), commonly referred to as a square window. Over time it too got larger.

Classic Volkswagens in India-square23.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-greenbug09.jpg

Do browse TheSamba.com :: Volkswagen Classifieds, photos, shows, forums, and information for more details and an interesting history lesson.
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for explaining Karlos now i would be able to understand this thread and Beetle classifications better!
Old 2nd August 2008, 18:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Now that Karmann (5800) is seriously messed up. Why would you want a make a Ricer out of such a beautiful & well proportioned car??
Old 4th August 2008, 20:58   #34
BHPian

Hi

I am thinking of buying a Volkswagen Microbus. Could anyone advise me on this? Starting from where to find one, price range, running costs, availability of maintenance services, have-I-missed-anything?

I am planning to visit Goa this month. I've heard that there is a garage specializing in VWs somewhere in Panaji. Any idea regarding its whereabouts, tel no?

I have a 1957 FIAT Elegant (dukkar). So in a limited sense, I'm acquainted with old cars!

Thank you.
Old 4th August 2008, 23:38   #35

I saw the pic karl posted of the Type 34 Ghia. I had never even heard of one before. Thanks for educating me!! Also, as i was searching for the car, i found this.
1965 RHD KARMANN GHIA TYPE 34 RAZOREDGE FOR SALE - VZi

Also, i found this picassa album stating classic cars of Ceylon. Which has a Split featured in it!!!

Picasa Web Albums - kapila - Classic Cars ...

@pig, why dont you join the Fiat Classic Car Club of India (mumbai)

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 4th August 2008 at 23:43.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:01   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Also, i found this picassa album stating classic cars of Ceylon. Which has a Split featured in it!!!

Picasa Web Albums - kapila - Classic Cars ...
Sri Lanka has always had a superb collection of VWs, including quite a few splits and ovals. All that I have seen are in superb timewarp condition.

And just to point out, that is a special Split window car, made for onyl a few months in 53 featuring the dash from the yet-to-be-launced Oval windowed cars.
Old 5th August 2008, 13:17   #37
BANNED

@VW Splitscreen: GDA 2958 was owned by me. Some one in Delhi bought it. It was sold in a minute of total confusion. I still have sleepless nights whenever i think of that lovely microbus. Didnt try and follow the progress on it, it will just break my heart. The place where you have taken the pics is where we have our small garage. I had stored my RD side panels, mudguards and frame inside this Microbus. When did you click these pics. Did you speak to someone before taking the pictures? No i am not against you taking pics. Just wanted to know.

@Karlosdeville:I have managed to trace the Beetle Splitscreen, the original owner expired sometime back and the kids are abroad. It is lying in his house. Need to get down to Goa to take pics.
Old 5th August 2008, 13:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I have managed to trace the Beetle Splitscreen, the original owner expired sometime back and the kids are abroad. It is lying in his house. Need to get down to Goa to take pics.
Oh my god!! so the rumors are true. There is a Split window beetle in India. Would love to see the pics of that!! Way to go buddy. Waiting for the pics desperately....as i am waiting to get my hands on a split window Bus...and a beetle...and a..etc etc etc!!
Old 5th August 2008, 14:01   #39
BANNED

I have myself seen it. The person who is working on my bay window has serviced it. We never knew it was such an exclusive car, neither did the owner. It was first a dark shade of blue if i remmeber correctly, later on painted to a dark green, thats the last he remembers. He used to drop his kids to school in the same car. Anyone studying in Don Bosco's Panaji will remember seeing it. This was late 80's early 90's when i was in school. Going to Goa during the first week of september - for Ganesh Chathurthi, hopefully manage to get some pics then.
Old 5th August 2008, 15:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@VW Splitscreen: GDA 2958 was owned by me. Some one in Delhi bought it. It was sold in a minute of total confusion. I still have sleepless nights whenever i think of that lovely microbus. Didnt try and follow the progress on it, it will just break my heart. The place where you have taken the pics is where we have our small garage. I had stored my RD side panels, mudguards and frame inside this Microbus. When did you click these pics. Did you speak to someone before taking the pictures? No i am not against you taking pics. Just wanted to know.
Hello Spitfire,had made a couple of visits to look at that microbus,and had taken pics each time,looked like it had been standing there and not moved from one year to the next.Pics were taken around 3 years ago and although always tried to contact someone at that house, there was never anyone there.Was very good condition and guessed at the year being arround 1961,with great original Safari front screens.Would love to see what it looks like now.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-351557.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-351553.jpg  

Old 5th August 2008, 17:35   #41
BANNED

@Dave: Yes i was new to the world of VW Microbus then. Had to go through a lot of headache to get my hands on this one. Every part on this microbus was original. Unless you experienced folks see something out of place. It was in working condition too. Due to my job in bangalore and my frequent visits abroad never got to work on her for a couple of years. It was initially parked inside and then left outside. We used to cover her well and wash it whenever possible. The dust you see on the micrbus was due to the construction going on around it and keeping a non moving vehicle clean was a bit difficult. I had stored a lot of spares inside the microbus.

I am sure you must have seen a Mahindra Classic there i parked it just next to the Microbus. I have attached a pic. See the red electricity box in the background.

Deep down my heart it still pains to see that this microbus is no longer with me. I was really surprised to see the pics up here. I would to olike to know where and how it is right now. But will feel terrible.

Oh and did that black and white patches dog give you any trouble? Blacky was supposed to be guarding the microbus, i see her lazing in the sand. A dog in Goa huh
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc02208.jpg  

Old 5th August 2008, 19:00   #42
BHPian

Hey Spitfire...small world. You will be happy to hear that your Microbus is in Safe hands and it is currently undergoing major restorations. It is owned by one of the biggest Car collectors in Delhi (and probably Top 5 in the country). Managed to see the same couple of days back resting in the owners farmhouse. Incidentally the owner happens to be a good friend of mine, unfortunately he refused my offer to buy the same. Must say it is a great bus. Unfortunately I heard a different story about the same and also hear that the papers were not clear...not too sure from whom did my friend buy it from, will certainly ask him.

Karlos the "Oval bug"is also lying with the same gentleman and is in a pretty bad condition, needs lots of work. But the engine seemed quite original. Lots of body work and as mentioned it had the Semaphores. Again I believe the papers were missing.

Cheers,

Super Spit fire great to hear that there actually is a Split in India. Would love to see the pictures of the same that is the only way I will be able to convert the rumour to reality. Not doubting you...but still seems a bit unreal. What year is it ?

Incidentally was fortunate to drive one whien I was in Australia, one of the most originals split probably in the world - 1949 one. Was temped to buy the same but the owner was demanding A$ 40k....Was thinking to get it under TR.

Enjoy the pics if not the split....

Talking about Splits...am tempted to also share the pictures clicked by me during my recent visit to "Stiftung Auto Museum" at Wolfsburg in Germany. Enjoy the 1943 Split. Absolutely gorgeous.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc00015.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc00016.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc00018.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc00019.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th August 2008 at 22:40.
Old 5th August 2008, 21:09   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Hey Spitfire...small world. You will be happy to hear that your Microbus is in Safe hands and it is currently undergoing major restorations. It is owned by one of the biggest Car collectors in Delhi (and probably Top 5 in the country). Managed to see the same couple of days back resting in the owners farmhouse. Incidentally the owner happens to be a good friend of mine, unfortunately he refused my offer to buy the same. Must say it is a great bus. Unfortunately I heard a different story about the same and also hear that the papers were not clear...not too sure from whom did my friend buy it from, will certainly ask him.
WHOA!!!! small world indeed. Papers were clear i have seen them. Did he come down to Goa to pick it up? Or did through some agent? I was not the "face" of the owner and the deal was done through a friend. I am surprised to see there were issues with that microbus. I was not involved in the deal, neither has the money ever reached me. It has been utilised to restore the bay window at the same place. This is really worrying. You have a pm.

Thanks
Spitfire
Old 5th August 2008, 21:32   #44
BANNED

One question: Was the glovebox behind the steering wheel only a feature on the splitscreen?
Old 5th August 2008, 22:25   #45
BHPian

Lemeee check and revert on the same....

Most Viewed