Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 00:00   #46
BHPian

willys station wagon wanted.

Hi Friends i am looking for willys station wagon let me know any for sale and plz send pics.
Old 28th January 2009, 08:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday was a great day and got a chance to get into the Willys... Here is a Willys Jeep Station Wagon that I have seen here in Chennai. It belongs to a gentleman called Sekar and he got few collection of Jeep.

What Jeep is this??-image227.jpg
What Jeep is this??-image228.jpg
What Jeep is this??-image231.jpg
Old 28th January 2009, 09:09   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see one with the original horn-button still intact!

He should try for the original meters and indicator stalk as well.
Old 28th January 2009, 09:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice to see one with the original horn-button still intact!

He should try for the original meters and indicator stalk as well.

Exactly... I hope you have noticed the clutch and break pedals too.
Old 30th January 2009, 19:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Sir, I was also at Sai Manzil/Giriraj at Altamount road in the '60s. My office is still next to Mahindras HQ and in fact they also occupy 2 floors in our office building. Neway, I understand that the station wagon dies were bought by Mahindras long after production stopped in America, at scrap value, in '70 in the hope of building these as people carriers for the military. Was it from Kaiser corp at that time. Mahindras had problems with clearance and the toolings were in the docks for 5 years. Somehow after clearance some trials were done, but was too late and obsolete to produce or introduce in the market since the Wagoneers were already around. I will try and get some details and revert though. Someone from Mahindras in the early '70s will surely confirm this. The owner of Metro motors would know too.[the old man]
Sorry, could follow up this post only now as I got some details from a person who was in a senior position and retired a few years ago. Maybe this is not exactly a reply, but this info should be correct.
Mahindras had two projects in hand, FC truck and Willys Station Wagon (WSW). For both these projects they imported vehicles. They decided to take the FC truck first and let the WSW lie at the customs. The FC took up a lot of time, it was originally designed as a 3/4 tonner but Mahindra dieselised it and tried to push it as a 1.5 tonner. And mainly for export. This failed, by then the steam had run out of the WSW project. He was very sure that no dies were stuck in customs.

I do not want to challenge the dies in customs story, but if it can be cross checked it will be interesting to know the facts on what may have been!

By the way, the Station Wagons which we did see in India, the 4 wheel drives as pictured in post 38, were they assembled here or imported? I am curious.

Another thing, I did see Peugeot 504's pick-ups at Mahindra towers. These were imported and planned for manufacture in India, probably the idea was to get dies of an outdated model cheaply. Generally 504 pickups were meant for Africa. These were seen here in India because Mahindras were thinking of offering something to compete with the Tata pickups, many of which were built to resemble 4 door cars. They were even taken to RTO Tardeo for evaluation. How silly, as if they have any standing to evaluate or judge on suitability when you see what all they allowed to run on Mumbai roads.

About our proximity to Mahindra real estate, that is not the point. It was mentioned in post 42 that officials used the station wagons in the 1970's, and since I could actually see Mr. Mahindra sitting in Wagoneers, I mentioned it. From Sai Manzil/Giriraj you would have to stand on the road to see them drive by. My office is walking distance from Mahendra Towers, I pass by their residence on Peddar Road every day, so what?
Please see the above para as PUN INTENDED, to have some fun. If it pleases you, we must catch up soon.
Old 30th January 2009, 20:25   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sorry, could follow up this post only now as I got some details from a person who was in a senior position and retired a few years ago. Maybe this is not exactly a reply, but this info should be correct.
Mahindras had two projects in hand, FC truck and Willys Station Wagon (WSW). For both these projects they imported vehicles. They decided to take the FC truck first and let the WSW lie at the customs. The FC took up a lot of time, it was originally designed as a 3/4 tonner but Mahindra dieselised it and tried to push it as a 1.5 tonner. And mainly for export. This failed, by then the steam had run out of the WSW project. He was very sure that no dies were stuck in customs.

I do not want to challenge the dies in customs story, but if it can be cross checked it will be interesting to know the facts on what may have been!

By the way, the Station Wagons which we did see in India, the 4 wheel drives as pictured in post 38, were they assembled here or imported? I am curious.

Another thing, I did see Peugeot 504's pick-ups at Mahindra towers. These were imported and planned for manufacture in India, probably the idea was to get dies of an outdated model cheaply. Generally 504 pickups were meant for Africa. These were seen here in India because Mahindras were thinking of offering something to compete with the Tata pickups, many of which were built to resemble 4 door cars. They were even taken to RTO Tardeo for evaluation. How silly, as if they have any standing to evaluate or judge on suitability when you see what all they allowed to run on Mumbai roads.

About our proximity to Mahindra real estate, that is not the point. It was mentioned in post 42 that officials used the station wagons in the 1970's, and since I could actually see Mr. Mahindra sitting in Wagoneers, I mentioned it. From Sai Manzil/Giriraj you would have to stand on the road to see them drive by. My office is walking distance from Mahendra Towers, I pass by their residence on Peddar Road every day, so what?
Please see the above para as PUN INTENDED, to have some fun. If it pleases you, we must catch up soon.
harit and scooby the older WSW's of the 1950's were imported from America when the company was under the Kaiser Corpn. Apart from FWD there were 2WD WSW's too.The 2WD WSW's had two separate chrome strips running parallel along the bodyline and meeting to form an arrow shaped > configuration.In the early 1960's the WSW 2WD's had white wall car-like tyres too.I think Cyrus has posted some pictures of such a WSW on this thread. I have posted a 1950's WSW 4WD picture under the rotting cars thread and also here. The chrome strip along the bodyline is different. These also had the UV tyres.These were powered by the Willys petrol Hurricane engine.
The second coming of the WSW was in the late 1970's (1978 to be precise) when a few petrol engines (same Hurricane) were produced with a Mahindra badge. The bodies were a bit different and Indianised and these were not at all aesthetic being available in two tone colours (light blue and white and so on ).Fit and finish was too crude and desi. This time around the brand was Jeep and not Willys and the parent was American Motors to later on be taken over by the Chrysler Corporation (under Iacocca)where it is till this date.The dies etc and the customs story of which I have no knowledge, may be fitting in here.
The FC is a different story. The FC 160 with the same Hurricane petrol engine was introduced in 1967 or so and came as pick-ups and also only as a chassis for body building. Later on factory built ambulances, delivery vans and mini buses were sold by Mahindra. After the CJ 500D came along in 1975, M&M cleverly implanted the sluggish, noisy and torquey 2350 cc International tractor diesel engine (called MD 2350) and rebadged this as the FC260D (FC for forward control). The FC 160 continued to be made on demand. Even the CJ 4A continued to be available on demand till the early 1980's alongwith the CJ 500D and the CJ series with the 540DP (Peugeot) engine since 1982.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th January 2009 at 20:31.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2009, 00:15   #52
BHPian

Dear Cyrus

You never noticed this vehicle because it was garage parked in the garage behind. now that garage is filled with a humvee. Yes Humvee. Not GM Hummer

The person who owns this station wagon is a Jeep enthu. i went to his house last year with Steiger who bought a Ramsey winch off him. This gentleman had imported a bunch of them

He has some nice scale model jeeps and some good books on jeep history and 4wd

He is the India Liaison for AM General. He showed us the Hum. Popped the bonnet too. Awesome. No wonder it is so rugged and capable. Every part looks like it can survive a nuclear strike

The radiator is incidentally horizontal and not vertical

He claims he has fitted the Station Wagon with a Borg Warner T5 transmission. Said he was planning to import a whole bunch of them and sell them here
Old 22nd August 2009, 19:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hats off!! Shyam for the zeal you have for the origingal parts or originality of vech. Great going brother you are an inspriation atleast for me...
Old 28th September 2009, 20:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Yesterday was a great day and got a chance to get into the Willys... Here is a Willys Jeep Station Wagon that I have seen here in Chennai. It belongs to a gentleman called Sekar and he got few collection of Jeep.

I am sorry for sounding harsh, but the speedometer, ammeter and the oil pressure meter appear to be that of an Ambassador Nova (early 1990's model). Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 19th June 2010, 19:22   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this one sometime in 2001. Sorry for the picture quality-it is not a digital image.
What Jeep is this??-untitled1.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th June 2010 at 19:27.
Old 31st October 2013, 12:41   #56
BANNED

Re: What Jeep is this??

Hello,

i have come across this jeep model and i want to buy it but i want to know where was it produced and how can i restore it completely to its full glory. It doesnt have its original engine, seats and some more small parts. The basic body structure is intact as well as the chasis. Please see the chasis number and information plate showing model and serial number. I tried to find on the net the place where it was produced but could not get the information.
Attached Thumbnails
What Jeep is this??-img02513201310241208.jpg  

What Jeep is this??-img02512201310241208.jpg  

What Jeep is this??-img02516201310241212.jpg  

What Jeep is this??-img02514201310241209.jpg  

Coby537 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 13:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby537 View Post
Hello,

i have come across this jeep model and i want to buy it but i want to know where was it produced and how can i restore it completely to its full glory. It doesnt have its original engine, seats and some more small parts. The basic body structure is intact as well as the chasis. Please see the chasis number and information plate showing model and serial number. I tried to find on the net the place where it was produced but could not get the information.
Is it left hand drive? From the information plate, it looks US-made. Year of manufacture is 1963. If I remember correctly, Mahindra also license manufactured this model so parts shouldn't be difficult to locate. IIRC, the Mahindra version had the Perkins P4 engine.

Last edited by directinjection : 31st October 2013 at 13:02.
Old 31st October 2013, 13:13   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Is it left hand drive? From the information plate, it looks US-made. Year of manufacture is 1963. If I remember correctly, Mahindra also license manufactured this model so parts shouldn't be difficult to locate. IIRC, the Mahindra version had the Perkins P4 engine.
It is a right hand drive. Is perkin P4 a diesel engine or petrol? what kind of transmission it had? according to you how much the owner should ask for it?
Old 2nd November 2013, 06:45   #59
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby537 View Post
It is a right hand drive. Is perkin P4 a diesel engine or petrol? what kind of transmission it had? according to you how much the owner should ask for it?
Here is a fairly original one for sale at Nagpur
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3282319

He has quoted Rs. 1.5L means you may be able to negotiate. I would suggest you buy this vehicle. If you still want to look at the green one, you have to consider that the fact that it is not original and beat the price down to reasonable levels, keeping the Nagpur one as a reference.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 11:14   #60

Re: willys station wagon wanted.

hi

you still in a look out for a willys station wagon....

09990090903 Whats app no.

Ashish Wesley

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks