Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2009, 20:20   #151
BHPian

Amby owners chip in y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
We have seen hale and hearty Ambassadors all through in this thread. For a change here's a bashed up Amby taxi in Kolkata.
Attachment 95817
Hai Ram hai Ram Hai Ram Hai Ram...!

Since this is now the Amby thread i want to ask y'all Amby lovers, how about I realise my dream and buy a relatively new Ambassador (2004-2008?) for daily use, to College. I'm thinking of the Grand, and a vision of a Cream (Babu) coloured Body with spoke rims (cycle wala spokes).

If ja, then where in NCR can i look for a decent Amby Grand 2.0, and how to proceed further.

PS: I so adored Rudra Senji's Amby. Want to see it in flesh. umm. Metal.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:23   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post

Since this is now the Amby thread i want to ask y'all Amby lovers, how about I realise my dream and buy a relatively new Ambassador (2004-2008?) for daily use, to College. I'm thinking of the Grand, and a vision of a Cream (Babu) coloured Body with spoke rims (cycle wala spokes).
Good idea I say, but finding a good one may be difficult. By the by I drive an Avigo Isuzu petrol 2004 as my daily drive.
Old 14th March 2009, 14:44   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Was refreshing to see something interesting on the road in Aurangabad last week. Was probably dieselised, couldn't get too close a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-01.jpg  

Old 16th March 2009, 19:28   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Was refreshing to see something interesting on the road in Aurangabad last week. Was probably dieselised, couldn't get too close a look.
The unique thing about this Landy is the chrome strip on the rear windscreen beading.These are very rare now a days. some more Landmaster pictures - a 1954 example:
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03493.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03494.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03492.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03647.jpg
An original 1966 Morris Oxford dash- note the evolutionary and genetic similarity with the British Landmaster and Ambassador (pre-1965) dash
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03533.jpg
Old 19th March 2009, 22:57   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

An Amby aspiring to join the fleet of stretch limos!
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-stretchamb.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2009, 20:32   #156
BHPian

Amby Station Wagon

Saw this Amby Mark 2 Station Wagon today. Were these made by HM, or were these Ambys converted? Bodywork looked decent to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc00828.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc00829.jpg  

Old 27th March 2009, 20:43   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Saw this Amby Mark 2 Station Wagon today. Were these made by HM, or were these Ambys converted? Bodywork looked decent to me.
this will answer your question.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-56-traveller.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-ambassador_van_1974.jpg  

amit V8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2009, 11:56   #158
Senior - BHPian

A very original 61 Mk1, freshly restored. It even has the muchdiscussed OHV badges. I guess this ends the confusion regarding them!

Btw, this car is for sale, and is posted in the classics available section too.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image051.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image049.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image026.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image009.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image067.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image001.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image020.jpg  

JayD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2009, 12:10   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Neat car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
It even has the muchdiscussed OHV badges. I guess this ends the confusion regarding them!
Actually it has me more confused. I have definitely seen smaller, more neat looking versions fitted to cars in Pune. I did get one cheap replica of the fender mounted one you've pictured though. And what is 60 in OHV 60? I haven't seen that before.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:15   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Neat car.

Actually it has me more confused. I have definitely seen smaller, more neat looking versions fitted to cars in Pune. I did get one cheap replica of the fender mounted one you've pictured though. And what is 60 in OHV 60? I haven't seen that before.
Even i've seen a smaller OHV with the wings on the rear, And i think that should be the correct one. The one on the fender should be the one with an arrow(will post a pic of this). I've seen OHV 60 in several cars both in TN and Kerala. I guess that denotes the year or something. When did the OHV model come out??
Old 1st April 2009, 12:42   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I guess that denotes the year or something. When did the OHV model come out??
To my knowledge OHV was around 58-59. I do not have confirmation though.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:57   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karl and Shyam - you will be surprised to know that the Nissan A12 engine of the 118NE is derived out of the Morris Oxford A series engine which is the OHV engine in the Ambassador (that's why the "A" in A12). Swept volume was reduced from 1498cc to 1171cc and just look at the refinement of the Nissan engine and the roughness of the Ambie engine, both being from the same family. This is only for your information.

By the way, that's a good 1961 Ambie but in the wrong colour. I like the bumpers the best.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 1st April 2009, 13:01   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karl and Shyam - you will be surprised to know that the Nissan A12 engine of the 118NE is derived out of the Morris Oxford A series engine which is the OHV engine in the Ambassador (that's why the "A" in A12). Swept volume was reduced from 1498cc to 1171cc and just look at the refinement of the Nissan engine and the roughness of the Ambie engine, both being from the same family. This is only for your information.

By the way, that's a good 1961 Ambie but in the wrong colour. I like the bumpers the best.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Yes, I did know somewhat about this. If only the capacity remained unchanged, I would have a direct fit upgrade for my Amby.
Old 1st April 2009, 23:03   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Read that Premier Auto had bought that Nissan A 12 engine making abilities with all appendages from Nissan at a dirt cheap price of some Rs 50 L since the Japs just wanted to get rid of it.
JayD the 1961 Ambassador looks nice from outside, but original meters on the dash get overshadowed with the overdone brown "sunmica" like dash fitting. It does not have the rear view mirror.The upholstery is quite contemporary.I too have one original OHV badge with me (brass with chrome finish) but the OHV 60 is news to me. Had seen OHV badges with a small round red indicator like light on front fenders in some Ambys.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:51   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Anjan - yes, PAL got things from NISSAN almost free and therefore were not bothered about whether the thing worked or not. The engine / transmission combination was fantastic and ran for around 3 lakh 50 thousand kms on an endurance run car when everything around it fell apart and the body had to be replaced two times (MZM7256 made in 1986 in Kalyan plant with original pista green body, replaced by grey body replaced by black body). The original NISSAN block with the Hitachi carburettor in a 1987 118NE non AC car is the one to look out for.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed