Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:52   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Anjan - yes, PAL got things from NISSAN almost free and therefore were not bothered about whether the thing worked or not. The engine / transmission combination was fantastic and ran for around 3 lakh 50 thousand kms on an endurance run car when everything around it fell apart and the body had to be replaced two times (MZM7256 made in 1986 in Kalyan plant with original pista green body, replaced by grey body replaced by black body). The original NISSAN block with the Hitachi carburettor in a 1987 118NE non AC car is the one to look out for.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks Behram, MZM 7256 running 3,50,000 kms and the 1987 non AC 118NE is news to me! Actually the 118NE 's bodyline was very weak and also prone to premature rusting. Especially, in the coastal areas most of these cars had enough rust developing on their rattling bodies.
Old 4th April 2009, 18:06   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks Behram, MZM 7256 running 3,50,000 kms and the 1987 non AC 118NE is news to me! Actually the 118NE 's bodyline was very weak and also prone to premature rusting. Especially, in the coastal areas most of these cars had enough rust developing on their rattling bodies.
Behram, there is one MAM in churchgate. looks well maintained. Try your luck if you interested.
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:46   #168
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A seemingly immaculate example clicked from the National Garage petrol pump:

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-moto_0469.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-moto_0470.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:56   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A seemingly immaculate example clicked from the National Garage petrol pump:
That is a familiar sight in their showroom. I think it belongs to the owners.

It is a Landmaster with an OHV Ambassador engine and a Mark 2 Ambassador grille and interiors. Nothing very special, but not a common sight all the same.
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:24   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rushabh and Karl - when Autocar wanted to shoot old generation cars, Cyrus had taken our left hand drive Padmini and the landmaster came from National Garage. The landmaster did not work at all, Cyrus had to use our spare ignition coil to get it to start. It is indeed sad that after having a fully equipped dealership workshop, the car is in this sorry state (not that I am surprised, rather I would expect it).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:35   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Rushabh and Karl - when Autocar wanted to shoot old generation cars, Cyrus had taken our left hand drive Padmini and the landmaster came from National Garage
They had also featured it with MAR 2171, Rony's 57 Fiat, when it was with a previous owner. The story was a Fiat vs Landmaster shootout.
Old 10th May 2009, 14:12   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Rushabh and Karl - when Autocar wanted to shoot old generation cars, Cyrus had taken our left hand drive Padmini and the landmaster came from National Garage. The landmaster did not work at all, Cyrus had to use our spare ignition coil to get it to start. It is indeed sad that after having a fully equipped dealership workshop, the car is in this sorry state (not that I am surprised, rather I would expect it).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Though thats immaculately kept with the chrome and paintwork gleaming, its a messed up car. The car is a Landmaster whereas the grille is of the Amby Mark II, the headlight rings are borrowed from the Mark 4 and it does not have much originalities of the Landmaster I feel-have seen this car being photo- featured many a time.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 10th May 2009 at 14:13.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2009, 14:23   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Images from Kolkata-includes taxis -some with white wall tyres. I visited Austin Distributors showroom (one of the oldest HM dealers) and requested them for allowing me to take Amby pictures. Took many of ones in the showroom and some ready for delivery. The Morris Cowley, Oxford and Issis Owners Club, Oxford , UK has requested me to send them some showroom Amby pictures for the quarterly journal and there can be no better place as compared to Kolkata, to click brand new Ambys. The 1500DSL is still a hit with taxi drivers (costs Rs 382000 something withouts RTO, insurance) while the 2000DSL ( at around Rs 5L depending on the variant selected) sells well, though dwindling, for private users.
I had a chat with the Sales Manager and apprehended that the car's production may be stopped due to the mounting losses by HM.He said no way, there's no such news from the HM Hqs. Thats a relief for Amby fans.
Wonder why the rear leaf spring suspensions for the Amby cannot be made into coil springs. The Scorpio has been done up and the change is much perceptible. Why can't HM do a Lotus Design UK, consultancy to switch over to coil springs?
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03924.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03919.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03943.jpg

Name:  DSC03942.JPG
Views: 6934
Size:  130.8 KB

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03931.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03932.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc03956.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 10th May 2009 at 14:28.
Old 10th May 2009, 14:31   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Images from Kolkata-includes taxis -some with white wall tyres. I visited Austin Distributors showroom (one of the oldest HM dealers) and requested them for allowing me to take Amby pictures. Took many of ones in the showroom and some ready for delivery. The Morris Cowley, Oxford and Issis Owners Club, Oxford , UK has requested me to send them some showroom Amby pictures for the quarterly journal and there can be no better place as compared to Kolkata, to click brand new Ambys. The 1500DSL is still a hit with taxi drivers (costs Rs 382000 something withouts RTO, insurance) while the 2000DSL ( at around Rs 5L depending on the variant selected) sells well, though dwindling, for private users.
I had a chat with the Sales Manager and apprehended that the car's production may be stopped due to the mounting losses by HM.He said no way, there's no such news from the HM Hqs. Thats a relief for Amby fans.
Wonder why the rear leaf spring suspensions for the Amby cannot be made into coil springs. The Scorpio has been done up and the change is much perceptible. Why can't HM do a Lotus Design UK, consultancy to switch over to coil springs?
Please, Mr Anjan, can we keep this thread for the older 'classic' ambys and landys?? Everyone has seen the newer ones, and the taxi pictures have been put up several times. They certainly do not belong in the vintage section.
Old 10th May 2009, 23:01   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Please, Mr Anjan, can we keep this thread for the older 'classic' ambys and landys?? Everyone has seen the newer ones, and the taxi pictures have been put up several times. They certainly do not belong in the vintage section.
I believe this is a post 1950's Ambassador and Landmaster picture thread. As such the Ambassador design is classic and not many new ones are seen on the roads these days.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:36   #176
BHPian

Spotted this a couple of days back, possibly and sadly has been fitted with a Isuzu Engine, as can be seen proclaimed by the badges on the dicky.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-landmaster.jpg
Old 11th May 2009, 19:34   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

suren the car's bodyline looks OK but the owner must have messed it all up if he has fitted those Isuzus to power it.
Old 11th May 2009, 21:21   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Spotted this a couple of days back, possibly and sadly has been fitted with a Isuzu Engine, as can be seen proclaimed by the badges on the dicky.
Attachment 134996
This must have been the car owned by the Shanbhag Hotel group, which I've often seen, in daily use and deteriorating more and more! Here's a pic. of the front I took then:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/857999-post216.html

'glad you took one from the rear...atleast the original tail-lamps seem retained and protected.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:28   #179
BHPian

Even though most of you are down south, anybody knows of someone/someplace in Delhi where I can purchase a pre-owned Ambassador ?
Places like karol-bagh are littered with used up taxis and touts/conmen, which is why I'm looking at alternative options.
Old 12th May 2009, 19:17   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
Even though most of you are down south, anybody knows of someone/someplace in Delhi where I can purchase a pre-owned Ambassador ?
Places like karol-bagh are littered with used up taxis and touts/conmen, which is why I'm looking at alternative options.
Please view some famous Indian websites that display used cars for sale.I found some good ones with pictures but forget the city these were advertised from.

Most Viewed