Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 22:22   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Spotted this ambassador with a beautiful shade of blue, complete in all respect. Before I could go and talk to the driver he drew off. Wheel rims are of Gypsy though + the tyres are radials.

Attachment 239757

Except for the wheels, mud flaps and ORVMS, the car looks really good. And it's got bucket seats as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Good one Manish.From above the wheel the car has been kept quite original as it appears. Its an original Bangalore number,from a bygone era when Bangalore was truly a garden city.
Usually old Ambassador Mark I bumpers are messed up and many have the changed Mark II or 3 bumpers that were flat on the top and bottom surfaces and a bit rakish.The Landmaster and Ambassador Mark I bumpers are rounded and this one appears to be original.The old Amby and Landy bumper guards acquired from somewhere and fitted to the Mark II or 3 bumpers give an odd look to those Ambys.
But this one is original!
Never knew that Mark I had different bumpers compared to Mark II or III. I thought only Landy had a different type .
Old 6th December 2009, 00:31   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Spotted this ambassador with a beautiful shade of blue, complete in all respect. ]
Nice find manish - Those period tail lights look lovely ! Wonder why HM didn't continue with them - they suit the car the best !
Old 6th December 2009, 13:07   #258
BHPian

Nice amby. the color is Neptune blue one could find quite some cars with this king of modifications like gypsy disc etc. one of my uncle has an amby with a matador engine and isuzu gear box fitted way back in coimbatore CAG recently done up with a good paint job from Chevorlet showroom , bucket seats from coimbatore . May be the car would be up for sale also. If any one intrested PM.

Are any more Landmaster / amby restoration in progress.
What is the status and update of the restored Landmaster's could all owners advise on how the cars are doing.

my car will be going back to garage for some metal work and a over coat of paint. will post the pics soon.

cheers Pradeep
Old 7th December 2009, 10:01   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Good one Manish.From above the wheel the car has been kept quite original as it appears. Its an original Bangalore number,from a bygone era when Bangalore was truly a garden city.
Usually old Ambassador Mark I bumpers are messed up and many have the changed Mark II or 3 bumpers that were flat on the top and bottom surfaces and a bit rakish.The Landmaster and Ambassador Mark I bumpers are rounded and this one appears to be original.The old Amby and Landy bumper guards acquired from somewhere and fitted to the Mark II or 3 bumpers give an odd look to those Ambys.
But this one is original!
Next time if I catch up again with her, I will get dtail pictures and recommend them to revert back to original wheels and like.
Old 13th December 2009, 19:19   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

I got this mail from my friend, who owns a few Ambassadors and some Morris Oxford Series II and III from the UK.The extract from this mail pertaining to the Ambassador is put up here:

"Our Ambassador is going to be used for filming on
Saturday, 12th Dec 2009. The job takes place in London [ we are only 22 miles from
the centre of London] and we have to be there at 7 A.M. At this stage
I do not know if it is a film or a pop video but the scene is an
Indian family arriving in London to live and their possessions being
unloaded, the Ambassador emerges from the back of a large removal
lorry, decorated with garlands etc, that is all I know at the moment."

"Had an interesting experience today with a new customers Ambassador.
The owner brought this car with her from Delhi where she had worked at
the French embassy. The car is a 2006 petrol model with air con and
power steering. We had to take it for the 'Individual vehicle
approval' test which is a legal requirement here. It failed on a few
niggly points but more worryingly it failed on the glass not having
the appropriate markings on it. This could turn into a real headache."

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th December 2009 at 19:24.
Old 24th December 2009, 19:44   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Again Ambassadors here from Kolkata their heartland.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc04542.jpg
This Amby Mark 4's headlight chrome rings are basically the ones that go with the Mark 1 and II.Guess some older, classic Amby owner looking for these may feel the pinch seeing these here in the wrong place.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc04564.jpg
This one is parked in the Park Circus area
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc04592.jpg
This one has the tailgate and the glass on the rear door plus the glass between the B and C pillars from the Maruti Omni-What an ingenuity?
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc04567.jpg
This last one shows the newer taxis -the 1500DSL Grand,5 Speed conforming to the BS III norms, taking over from the older Ambys.The 15 year or older taxis are off road now, going by the court ruling on commercial vehicles.The new taxi costs Rs 3.80 L on road and the older one gets Rs 50,000 in exchange.The taxi series WB 02 D 0001 till 9999 has ended within some three years (a record of sorts) due to the brisk sales of Ambassador taxis recorded. Its WB 02 E 0001 onwards now for the newer taxis.
The plastic bumpers and the newer fairings on the new taxis give an unwritten message. The chrome bumpers of the older Mark 4 may be passe soon and it will not be surprising to see these bumpers feature for sale after a few years on the Vintage and Classic car Spares thread or on eBay.
Another point that comes to the fore is that the last car in India to be still manufactured with chrome bumpers will no more come with these as OE.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th December 2009 at 19:56.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:11   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I came across this picture online some time back, showing a Ford Model B (?), an early Willys, and an Amby Mk 1 with Gypsy wheels. Shot in Hyderabad.

Attachment 202459
Thats not a Mark 1, thats even before the Mark 1, this was the model that came right after the Landmaster, this had an OHV engine (overhead valve). That car belonged to my Grandmother, and it has been in my family since 1961. It was a tough old bird, driven by my brother as his daily driver to this day. Imagine my surprise, Im logging in from New York City and saw this car here. I saw that picture a few years ago, what you dont see also is this beautiful Packard, will ask my brother to send me pics on that for me to post.
Old 30th December 2009, 14:11   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramRao75 View Post
Thats not a Mark 1, thats even before the Mark 1, this was the model that came right after the Landmaster, this had an OHV engine (overhead valve).
That is exactly what we refer to as the "mark1"!
The very first model among Ambys. Even though of course, it never was officially badged as such, it's only for convenience sake that we call it mk1.
Old 30th December 2009, 17:40   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
That is exactly what we refer to as the "mark1"!
The very first model among Ambys. Even though of course, it never was officially badged as such, it's only for convenience sake that we call it mk1.
In fact the first Ambassadors had the old Landy side valve engines from 1958 onwards.Sometime in 1960 the change to the OHV 1489cc engine came by.
Thats in contrast with the Morris badged cars sold and exported by Morris Motors, UK, where the OHV engines were launched with the Morris Oxford Series II (the workshop manual copy of which is with me)viz. Landmaster here.The 1472 cc side valve that was fitted to the Morris Oxford MO Series (our Hindustan 14) was shelved with that model but found its place under the Landmaster's and later the early Ambassadors bonnet.
True as Stanher says there was no Mark I. It was only the Ambassador here and the Morris Oxford Series III there in the U.K.The car started getting Marks after 1964 with the Mark II.
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:50   #265
BHPian

amby 1961

posting pics of my friend's ambassador recently restored in coimbatore .
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image108.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image110.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image111.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image112.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image113.jpg  

imperial.s.a is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:08   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
Nice! I love the interior, there is a similar black Amby here that has the interior in similar hues, but not the same pattern.
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:17   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
Is this car still at Alankar? It was up for sale from almost a year back right?
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:21   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice! I love the interior, there is a similar black Amby here that has the interior in similar hues, but not the same pattern.
Ambassador is one car which in any case, would not fall short of space either it is interior or exterior. The interiors are spacious and same is with the engine compartment. It seems like one can use the engine compartment as a spare parts storage unit. Even the engine feels very comfortable sitting in the car.
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:41   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Ambassador is one car which in any case, would not fall short of space either it is interior or exterior. The interiors are spacious and same is with the engine compartment. It seems like one can use the engine compartment as a spare parts storage unit. Even the engine feels very comfortable sitting in the car.
Uh, yes, agreed! I was talking only about the upholstery though!
Old 4th January 2010, 08:21   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Uh, yes, agreed! I was talking only about the upholstery though!
Ok stanher, i agree with you but I was just joking (in a lite way)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks