Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 09:59   #301
BHPian

[quote=anjan_c2007;1720994]
Sanat I am not sure what all body work the fellow is doing for your Amby.The fitment of original period spares will have to be done and these procured by you.Amit has posted a rare picture of the dash of the 1970-75 era just before the launch of the Mark 3. The charges of Rs 35000 includes what all? The painting job for Rs 15000 is OK perhaps. Last year I got a touch up done for my Landmaster again in black and was charged some Rs 8000 odd.
The front grille parking lights headlight covers all need a change.The bumpers need to be chrome plated.
The dash needs to be done up and so also the steering horn button/indicator switch.
The first picture is of a early 1960's dash. This is a Morris Oxford Series III. The dash layout is the same but the meter console and switches are different for the 1970 Amby.The air vent on the top of the dash gave way to a chrome ash tray. The switches used to be fully black and so was the gear lever.

@Anjan,

The existing body paint will be scraped to bare metal and the body repairs will include full denting,replacing the outer halfs of the flooring,repairing the front and rear glass frames,chassis repair,repair all doors ( replace one if required ). Making a new instrument metal panel to fit in the place of current plastic one.

The cost of all required body parts is included in this quote.

The plating will be an additional cost.

The paint job will be scrapedown and paint one.

Best Regards,
Sanat
Old 8th February 2010, 17:15   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
@Anjan,
The existing body paint will be scraped to bare metal and the body repairs will include full denting,replacing the outer halfs of the flooring,repairing the front and rear glass frames,chassis repair,repair all doors ( replace one if required ). Making a new instrument metal panel to fit in the place of current plastic one.

The cost of all required body parts is included in this quote.

The plating will be an additional cost.

The paint job will be scrap down and paint one.

Best Regards,
Sanat
That appears to be reasonable.Being a Bombay car there must have been immense rusting during these 39 years on the under body, door interiors and the floor.Do get all the door upholstery material unscrewed and let the garage also treat the four door interiors for rust.Hope to see pictures with your musings in a new thread created by you for the Amby, as the work progresses.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:28   #303
Senior - BHPian

a very nice (after market conversion, i think) Mark 2 combi

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-2.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-100210_143112.jpg
amit V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2010, 18:16   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
a very nice (after market conversion, i think) Mark 2 combi
'doesnt look bad from the sides, but the rear...a metal box fused into the car's bum, with a van door and truck tail-lamps- very nice?? How come you don't see another one coming in the opposite direction, eh?
Old 10th February 2010, 22:35   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
'doesnt look bad from the sides, but the rear...a metal box fused into the car's bum, with a van door and truck tail-lamps- very nice?? How come you don't see another one coming in the opposite direction, eh?
The tail lamps are from the Tata 1210 series trucks.Am reminded of the Tata 207 (Tatamobile)'s being converted into sedans and estates in the early 1990's with similar looks.These looked like cross-bred Alsatians which tend to look more like strays.
Nevertheless this Amby Mark II from the front looks elegant.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 00:08   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
actually i was out of words when i saw the rear & later while posting, was out of adjectives. since most of the car looks nice so i have written the same.

@ anjan_c2007, are the rear doors original or moded?? they look different from the stock station wagon which was available here.
Old 11th February 2010, 01:09   #307
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks I have been told by my sources that there is an Mark II put for sale and its been told to me that it is an absolute complete original car, its because of parking problem or not using the car put up for sale. I am in a thinking state whether to go or not though, thinking to go for it if its pleases me in the first sight this saturday one thing boggling in my mind is that ture the car steering is slightly tilted towards right and that makes drivers sit cross leaning towards the door can somebody throw some light on it.

Please advice what is important to check while dealing that car however i will post pictures for experts to comment.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:46   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
one thing boggling in my mind is that ture the car steering is slightly tilted towards right and that makes drivers sit cross leaning towards the door can somebody throw some light on it.
That is a typical Amby trait. Strange, but once you get used to it, not such a problem. Especially on that bean bag of a seat

They are extremely spacious, though I find them a tad slow, sluggish and cumbersome. The brakes and clutch/gear action are always horrid. I guess we've been spoiled with Fiats!

But all said and done I think they look grand, and at a good price it would be a worthy acquisition if in the condition you say. Pictures would always help.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 11:32   #309
BHPian

My newly acquired 1958 (as per RTO records) Reg in 1961. Work has started on this already by an old aashan (master). So not sure when it'll be complete. My estimate is 4 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-side-view.jpg  

abhilash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 11:35   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Hi folks I have been told by my sources that there is an Mark II put for sale and its been told to me that it is an absolute complete original car, its because of parking problem or not using the car put up for sale. I am in a thinking state whether to go or not though, thinking to go for it if its pleases me in the first sight this saturday one thing boggling in my mind is that ture the car steering is slightly tilted towards right and that makes drivers sit cross leaning towards the door can somebody throw some light on it.

Please advice what is important to check while dealing that car however i will post pictures for experts to comment.
Mk 2's are not very valuable as of now, but it will certainly appreciate in value, provided the car is all original. There were 2 models of the MK2, the earlier ones had the meters and dashboard similar to the OHV/mk1, with 2 large smiths (made in England) meters and a small clock in the center, while the later models had Indian meters and a different dashboard. Needless to say, the former is way more desirable.

The car should have an SU carb, check if its still present, its very hard to find one now.

i believe it came with an electrical fuel pump, and a dynamo too, rare to find these now, but add to the value of the car, if present.
Old 11th February 2010, 13:01   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

An uprated Landmaster spotted in Bangalore

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-000001.jpg

Flickr Photo Download: Ambassador Mk I
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 14:29   #312
Senior - BHPian

A very original and in impeccable condition Landmaster with one of the collector in bangalore.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09694.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09695.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09696.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09697.jpg
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 18:08   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
A very original and in impeccable condition Landmaster with one of the collector in bangalore.
Manish hope you will also post the interior pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
There were 2 models of the MK2, the earlier ones had the meters and dashboard similar to the OHV/mk1, with 2 large smiths (made in England) meters and a small clock in the center, while the later models had Indian meters and a different dashboard.
The trio viz. the two large Smiths meters and the clock lasted for nearly a year after the Mark II came along in 1964.By 1965 the clock was gone.By January 1966 the Yenkays took charge of the dash ousting the Smiths.The warning lights were not housed in the meters but in a separate console. The dash changed every 4/5 years. The air vent on the top of the dash was replaced by an ash tray in 1966.Thats how the Indianisation of the Amby started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash View Post
My newly acquired 1958 (as per RTO records) Reg in 1961. Work has started on this already by an old aashan (master). So not sure when it'll be complete. My estimate is 4 months.
Congratulations abhilash! Wish the car a speedy restoration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
@ anjan_c2007, are the rear doors original or moded?? they look different from the stock station wagon which was available here.
Amit the rear doors are modded. The estate versions came from the factory only with the front doors and it was all open behind the front door for body builders.Nonetheless the rear mudguards were OE and so the rear door contours at the lower level were determined.The Amby you posted has the rear doors bought from a dealer and its glasses, quarter glasses and C and D pillars are modded.
Another modded Amby Estate
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc04592.jpg
This one is a woody (in the making) Morris Oxford Series II(Source scanned from Quality First Journal, UK)
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-scan0017.jpg
This is another Morris Oxford Series II being cut to size (Source scanned from Quality First Journal, UK)
Name:  Oxf Ser II CUT.jpg
Views: 4051
Size:  72.5 KB

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th February 2010 at 18:15.
Old 11th February 2010, 19:57   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash View Post
Congrats Abhilash ! Externally the cars looks complete .

Good luck with the restoration!

Are you from Kerala?

- Jose.
Old 12th February 2010, 00:05   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This one is a woody (in the making) Morris Oxford Series II(Source scanned from Quality First Journal, UK)
This is another Morris Oxford Series II being cut to size (Source scanned from Quality First Journal, UK)
thank you for the pictures.

a little but this is the DADA of our amby, so posting the pictures. these are published in the february edition of the Classic & Sports car magazine. presenting the morris isis S 1 & 2.

the pictures are taken from the mag. itself so are a bit bad.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-110210_135305.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-110210_135332.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-110210_135415.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-110210_135436.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-110210_135510.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-110210_135746.jpg

Last edited by amit V8 : 12th February 2010 at 00:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks