Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2010, 18:34   #376
Senior - BHPian

Some Ambassadors spotted. The first one (green and cream had the instrumentation of Mark 4 and interior of contessa), the owner was not happy for taking pictures.

The second one is more original, but sports a diesel engine, gypsy wheels and bucket seats .

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc06570.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc06571.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc06572.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc06573.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc06574.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc06576.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc06577.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc06581.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc06582.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc06584.jpg
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2010, 19:13   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Some Ambassadors spotted. The first one (green and cream had the instrumentation of Mark 4 and interior of contessa), the owner was not happy for taking pictures.

The second one is more original, but sports a diesel engine, gypsy wheels and bucket seats .
These are good finds Manish.The older Mark I's rear bumper is borrowed from anything from the Mark II -4 (they all had the same bumper but not the same bumper guards) but its bumper guards are original.
Old 13th June 2010, 19:16   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post

The mk1 IMHO, looks far better, the current modifications on it being relatively easily reversible. But of course, would they ever be reversed or not is questionable!

Last edited by Stanher : 13th June 2010 at 19:18.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:27   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
These are good finds Manish.The older Mark I's rear bumper is borrowed from anything from the Mark II -4 (they all had the same bumper but not the same bumper guards) but its bumper guards are original.
Anjan, there were 2 styles of bumpers offered on the Mk 1 Ambys. The earliest cars sported curved profile bumpers similar to those found on Landmasters (guards were identical to Landmasters). They also sported sempaphore indicators I think. Later OHVs had the more 'square' profile bumpers, like the one illustrated above. Though the guards remained the same, the fitment profile was altered accordingly to accomodate the newer type of bumper, which I think should have been the same for later models too. I hope I understood correctly what you were referring to.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 15:42   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a very original Hindustan 14 lying unused for years in Pune. Still remains surprisingly intact and solid.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-01.jpg
Old 14th June 2010, 17:21   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore sure seems to have a lot of very nice Ambys.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-00.jpg

Morris Oxford II - Motorbase
Old 14th June 2010, 18:10   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

A reasonably tidy H14, missing a few original items. I dont know anything further about this car.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_6296.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-hind02.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 23:04   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Anjan, there were 2 styles of bumpers offered on the Mk 1 Ambys. The earliest cars sported curved profile bumpers similar to those found on Landmasters (guards were identical to Landmasters). They also sported sempaphore indicators I think. Later OHVs had the more 'square' profile bumpers, like the one illustrated above. Though the guards remained the same, the fitment profile was altered accordingly to accomodate the newer type of bumper, which I think should have been the same for later models too. I hope I understood correctly what you were referring to.
Karl in fact I have never seen these square profiled bumpers on even 1963 Mark I's as OE's.All of them had the smooth edged bumpers. The advent of Mark II's ushered in these square profiled bumpers.
In my earlier statement I had stated that all the Mark 4s too had the same kind of bumpers (not bumper guards) as the Mark II. But the earliest Mark 4's had a nearly 1 cm thick rubber strip all along the central part of the chrome plated front and rear bumpers.That was to prevent scratches. But the rubber gave way soon to expose the rusted metal with which it was embedded in and bolted through drill holes with the bumper. HM wisely discontinued it very soon.
Old 14th June 2010, 23:56   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks Sujith! These pictures are good enough. The carburettor is the famed SU and its the BMC (now Hindusthan) OHV engine.

The gear lever knob is the black one from later Ambys. This one can be fitted with the original one, which was ivory white with a chrome ring at the tip.

I had the SU Carburretor on my Mark 2, which I have now changed to the one from the Mark 3. Still have the famed SU though. Also changed the carburettor manifold to get it perform flawlessly. it used to flood my engine otherwise. Anyone here knows how to stop that instead of changing the carb?

If someone is looking for the gear lever knob, I have a couple which I bought for my granddad's Black Amby. Also a set of parking lights (for the front) and an extra set of tail lights and about 15 "beedi lights" as called by my mech. they are the ones used in the brake, parking and rear lights (I think).

I really have to post pics of it. None of the photos here hold a candle to my Mark 2. Original Paint, redone upholstery (month back), unopened engine, Jalwa Horn, still cranks to a start in one shot (yes I still dont use a self starter. My grandad used to say "12Amps can be put to better use"). And used to only 72080 km in the past 45 years or so (I have to check the RC Book)
Just got the dynamo removed a couple of months back to put in an alternator so that I dont have to keep disconnecting the battery everytime I park it. After all with 3 cars in the house, this is the one that gets out the least.
Old 16th June 2010, 10:38   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaSun View Post
I really have to post pics of it. None of the photos here hold a candle to my Mark 2. Original Paint, redone upholstery (month back), unopened engine, Jalwa Horn, still cranks to a start in one shot (yes I still dont use a self starter. My grandad used to say "12Amps can be put to better use"). And used to only 72080 km in the past 45 years or so (I have to check the RC Book)
Would really like to see pics of this car, do post them soon.

In the meanwhile here is my 1962 Amby OHV/Mark 1. Previous owner meticulously maintained it till the day I got it, comes with full service history in incredible detail (including serial number of each tyre ever fitted!). The original manuals, tools, jack, cranking handle etc were all carefully preserved. She runs beautifully on the original MOWOG engine and SU carb, missing very few minor bits.

The original colour was 'Smoke Grey' with a navy blue sash across the sides between the trim, and when I do repaint I'll probably revert to that colour scheme.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-01.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-02.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-03.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-04.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-05.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-06.jpg
Old 16th June 2010, 13:18   #386
Senior - BHPian

wow thing of beauty and to think that she was lying only a couple of blocks from my house. ;-)
Old 16th June 2010, 13:50   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
wow thing of beauty and to think that she was lying only a couple of blocks from my house. ;-)
And in the adjacent garage is this -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1935616-post380.html
Old 16th June 2010, 13:54   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
In the meanwhile here is my 1962 Amby OHV/Mark 1. Previous owner meticulously maintained it till the day I got it, comes with full service history in incredible detail (including serial number of each tyre ever fitted!). The original manuals, tools, jack, cranking handle etc were all carefully preserved. She runs beautifully on the original MOWOG engine and SU carb, missing very few minor bits.
Congrats again karl! Now I can see what made you go for another amby (oops, its not just 'another amby' I guess huh! )

I would say you sure have to be blessed to get one with the interior still 'unmolested' as opposed to so many that may look original on the outside only.

Until the time you decide to paint, why dont you meanwhile try and go for a lighter colour strip in the centre between the 2 trims? 'should spruce her up a little for the time being?
Old 16th June 2010, 13:58   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Until the time you decide to paint, why dont you meanwhile try and go for a lighter colour strip in the centre between the 2 trims? 'should spruce her up a little for the time being?
The paint is quite old and quite worn in many spots, so I'd rather not touch anything now for fear of it looking too contrasting. Will just polish her up and put on new wheelcaps for the time being.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:14   #390
Senior - BHPian

Lovely, lovely Amby Karl !! Those side trims are indeed looking superb. Enjoy !
Btw, do you have a count of your cars anymore ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks