Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2012, 02:54   #661

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor View Post
Does anybody have a source for a new one or know how for any equivalent replacement from any other cars?
Morris Oxford 'MO' shared the same engine, so water pump is almost certainly the same.
Wolseley 6/80 & Morris 6 could have the same waterpump, but I am not sure.

Somtimes new ones are on ebay.co.uk
Also worn out (but not cracked!) pumps could be found for rebuilding - not sure what cost of postage would be to India.
rob_ox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 19:56   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_ox View Post
Morris Oxford 'MO' shared the same engine, so water pump is almost certainly the same.
Wolseley 6/80 & Morris 6 could have the same waterpump, but I am not sure.

Somtimes new ones are on ebay.co.uk
Also worn out (but not cracked!) pumps could be found for rebuilding - not sure what cost of postage would be to India.
Hi Rob,
You seem to have a nice Morris there as the pic shows. There is one here in Bangalore having almost the same color. Could you share some pics and details of the car with us please. And by the way what was the official name for this color?
Cheers. (Mods: I hope this is ok as the car is not in India)
Old 17th March 2012, 15:48   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Hi Rob,
You seem to have a nice Morris there as the pic shows.
Thanks

Quote:
There is one here in Bangalore having almost the same color. Could you share some pics and details of the car with us please. And by the way what was the official name for this color?
Cheers. (Mods: I hope this is ok as the car is not in India)
I'll try and attach some photos - if the mods do not agree then I will not be offended if the photos are removed.

re: the car in Bangalore - is it an Oxford or a Landmaster? Did they sell Morris cars in India?
My car is a 1956 series II Oxford. It was repainted many years ago (about 1980 is my guess) and it is a slightly more 'blue' tint than the original grey.
I have checked the bulkhead plate and the original colour is not listed - my car was exported from the UK as a CKD kit and was assembled and painted by Dominion Motors in New Zealand, so I will have to investigate what the colour is called.

The car has its original red upholstery that is vinyl (Rexine?) and original red carpets and even the original (fragile) hoodlining!
It has the original low compression 50bhp BMC 1489cc OHV engine and column change gearbox, but the engine needs new pistons.
After the engine is rebuilt I have a set of twin SU carburettors from an MG Magnette which I may (or may not!) fit to help the car travel a bit more easily in modern traffic. Some drivers are very impatient! This modification would be easy to change back to the original SU carb.

It was built with a heater and still has the trafficators that work perfectly, but I have also wired in flashing indicators to help drivers who cannot see the trafficators. They all work off the original switch and I can supply a wiring diagram for anyone who is interested in doing this modification.

The car had 2 owners before me, the first owner from 1956 - 1994, and I bought it in 1996 when I was 19. I have looked after it carefully ever since.

I had always liked Oxfords and always remember my best friend's family car when I was about 10 years old. It was a tired old Oxford, but his Dad was a good mechanic and the car went everywhere, even if it did burn some oil. They never locked the car; I think they hoped someone would steal it.

Here are some photos of my Oxford which I am currently restoring.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dscf8547sm.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dscf8549sm.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dscf8550sm.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dscf8551sm.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dscf8553sm.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dscf8557sm.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dscf8558sm.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dscf8559sm.jpg  

rob_ox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 13:05   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks

I'll try and attach some photos - if the mods do not agree then I will not be offended if the photos are removed.

re: the car in Bangalore - is it an Oxford or a Landmaster? Did they sell Morris cars in India?
My car is a 1956 series II Oxford. It was repainted many years ago (about 1980 is my guess) and it is a slightly more 'blue' tint than the original grey.
I have checked the bulkhead plate and the original colour is not listed - my car was exported from the UK as a CKD kit and was assembled and painted by Dominion Motors in New Zealand, so I will have to investigate what the colour is called.

The car has its original red upholstery that is vinyl (Rexine?) and original red carpets and even the original (fragile) hoodlining!
It has the original low compression 50bhp BMC 1489cc OHV engine and column change gearbox, but the engine needs new pistons.
After the engine is rebuilt I have a set of twin SU carburettors from an MG Magnette which I may (or may not!) fit to help the car travel a bit more easily in modern traffic. Some drivers are very impatient! This modification would be easy to change back to the original SU carb.

It was built with a heater and still has the trafficators that work perfectly, but I have also wired in flashing indicators to help drivers who cannot see the trafficators. They all work off the original switch and I can supply a wiring diagram for anyone who is interested in doing this modification.

The car had 2 owners before me, the first owner from 1956 - 1994, and I bought it in 1996 when I was 19. I have looked after it carefully ever since.

I had always liked Oxfords and always remember my best friend's family car when I was about 10 years old. It was a tired old Oxford, but his Dad was a good mechanic and the car went everywhere, even if it did burn some oil. They never locked the car; I think they hoped someone would steal it.

Thanks for the Info and the pics...Close up it looks like your car is of a different color to what i had thought it was. That particular car can be seen here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...car-rally.html
What i found surprising was the red upholstery. I never thought that red was offered as a factory color. This explains how JayD, another of our members found out while restoring his landmaster (the detailed write up and photos of which is available elsewhere in team-bhp).
Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 21:42   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This 1965 Ambassador belongs to my paternal uncle who passed away about 8 years ago. The car was in fine running condition, but has turned into such a condition, lately. Though I am a regular visitor to their residence, only today I could click some pictures of the car. Its front part is abutting against the compound wall, so access to click frontal portion pictures was not possible.

The Ambassador is slowly dying.I had also known the owner when he was alive. He was a very nice gentleman.I fail to understand why their family members are giving this treatment to the car which was beloved to the departed soul. Either they should sell the car immediately or protect it from
fury of nature.

ANANT
NAGPUR

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th March 2012 at 08:50. Reason: Removing entire quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 22:00   #666
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this car in bangalore in one of the govt buildings close to richmond road

Cheers

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image4265572514.jpg
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 19:43   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Pictures of a 1969 Ambassador Mark II donning its original black coat. The car it appears has fallen on bad times.The engine is original and so are the Solex carburettor, TVS Lucas dynamo, self and so on.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09151a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09152a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09153a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09154a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09155a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09156a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09157a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09158a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09159a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09160a.jpg
More Pictures to follow
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 23:14   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

A better view of the 1969 Ambassador in the first picture, the engine pictures of which appeared in the last post.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09141a.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09161a.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09146a.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th March 2012 at 23:23.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 22:52   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

Another lot of pictures of the 1969 Ambassador.The upholstery of the inner doors in blue is original. The seat upholstery is also original but a weird seat cover dons the original seat fabric. It had the seat upholstery of the same colour - a change from the red and grey of the older Mark II's.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09142a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09143a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09144a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09145a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09163a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09162.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09164.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th March 2012 at 23:04.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 23:10   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After the engine is rebuilt I have a set of twin SU carburettors from an MG Magnette which I may (or may not!) fit to help the car travel a bit more easily in modern traffic.

Is a fine piece neatly maintained. The Indian Landmaster never had the OHV engine but was sold with a side valve power unit.
Your car has six switches in the bottom panel below the instrument console where as the Indian car had only four similar switches. The ignition cum light switch is different to the one in your car which appears to be a key-turn-start switch.
Trafficators were OE in the Indian version too.

Quote:
Another lot of pictures of the 1969 Ambassador.
The instrument cluster is of 1970 m0del and not 1969. Lot of owners used to change these to later versions in those days. Also the rear boot lid mounted markII monogram was introduced in 1971 with another instrument cluster design.

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th March 2012 at 23:15.
Old 31st March 2012, 15:31   #671

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Is a fine piece neatly maintained.
Thank you
Quote:
The Indian Landmaster never had the OHV engine but was sold with a side valve power unit.
I was surprised when I first learned this and it has been very interesting to see the photos on this website of a Landmaster with the side valve engine.
Quote:
Your car has six switches in the bottom panel below the instrument console where as the Indian car had only four similar switches. The ignition cum light switch is different to the one in your car which appears to be a key-turn-start switch.
My Oxford still has the pull "S" to start knob - the key only switches on the ignition.

More info about the photo of the fascia:
The two knobs between the speedometer and the gauges are for the heater/air vent.
The top knob adjusts the air flap to allow air to enter via the bonnet scoop
The bottom knob "B" is for the 2-speed blower (fan). The heat control is the knob marked "H" to the left of the pull-start "S" knob.
You can see the heater-box (black) mounted on the bulk-head in the photo of the engine bay.

Quote:
Trafficators were OE in the Indian version too.
I am glad to hear this - I like trafficators (when they work properly!) When other drivers do see them they smile!
It is safer to have both trafficators and flashing indicators though.
rob_ox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 20:52   #672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The instrument cluster is of 1970 m0del and not 1969. Lot of owners used to change these to later versions in those days. Also the rear boot lid mounted markII monogram was introduced in 1971 with another instrument cluster design.
This car is as original without any changes in the dash (one meter is new and the temperature meter on the lower dash is an aftermarket fitment). Of course, there are some alterations in the RVM, rear tail lights and so on.
It is however a 1969 model and not a later one as you say.
Old 31st March 2012, 22:28   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This car is as original without any changes in the dash (one meter is new and the temperature meter on the lower dash is an aftermarket fitment). Of course, there are some alterations in the RVM, rear tail lights and so on.
It is however a 1969 model and not a later one as you say.
In case you are 100% sure it is 1969 model it would be 1970 February delivered car. All 1969 models were with all white colour marked meters with a three light centre unit and three gauges, the additional being lube oil pressure meter.
Further till 1971 SU carburetors were the OE. Solex was introduced in 1971.

Last edited by rajeev k : 31st March 2012 at 22:37.
Old 16th April 2012, 23:57   #674
BHPian

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1971 mark ii but now in a mark 3/4 state, I would like to convert it to mark ii so need a bit of help:

1.Are original Smiths meters still available?

2.I found the grill, bumpers and tail light housing, what about number plate cover, ss be dings for front and rear glass?

3.how much would it cost to achieve a top class paint job, one like the mech in bangalre has in his car?

any help is highly appreciated.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:32   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1971 mark ii but now in a mark 3/4 state, I would like to convert it to mark ii so need a bit of help:

1.Are original Smiths meters still available?

any help is highly appreciated.
If its a 1971 Model, then originally it would have had Yenkay or Autometer instruments and not Smiths

All the Best with your restoration

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 17th April 2012 at 14:35.
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks