Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 14:39   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Saw this lovable Ambassador at Trivandrum today morning. Barring the Steering wheel it is every inch an original 1967 model though the reversing lamps & ORVM is later additions. The green colour too is a repaint as this kind of green first appeared in 1970
Thanks Rajeev but very, very unjust. Was expecting many more pictures of the car from you. Please try.
Old 14th June 2012, 14:52   #692
BHPian

Kasli, the national garage owners have had this car since new. A lot of sentimental attachment, but sadly except for the body shell nothing original. It has often been seen in their mahalaxmi showroom, currently perhaps because they have lost the chey agency and due to in fighting business has come to a stop. Rumours were that they had got an Audi dealership, but so far nothing.
Old 14th June 2012, 14:54   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this lovable Ambassador at Trivandrum today morning. Barring the Steering wheel it is every inch an original 1967 model though the reversing lamps & ORVM is later additions. The green colour too is a repaint as this kind of green first appeared in 1970
Saw the same in pattom -Kowdiar streach with owner.
Old 14th June 2012, 17:22   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
is it not a dieselised mark 2 owned by a Doctor??
Old 14th June 2012, 20:04   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
but very, very unjust. Was expecting many more pictures of the car from you. Please try.
I was walking in search of some opened shops at 0630 in the morning and had to leave by 0715 hrs and was in a hurry but could therefore click only one. Sorry that I betrayed Amby lovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
This spotting was at the Aalthara junction near Vellayambalam in front of the temple there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
is it not a dieselised mark 2 owned by a Doctor??
It appeared to be a petrol. But I did not see any doc emblem. I checked the MV dept website and is a petrol owned by a lady. If you say that it is a diesel it ought to be true.

Last edited by rajeev k : 14th June 2012 at 20:09.
Old 24th June 2012, 22:13   #696
Senior - BHPian

This car probably now belongs to (or will soon belong to) the 'Rust in pieces' thread. But knowing her history, and ever full of hope that I am, I could not bear to put her there.

Pictures below show a lovely Mark I lying for quite a while at Bandra reclamation, Mumbai. I've been seeing the car for at least 2 years now, and believe me she was in very good shape. Very compete, almost no rust, most fittings in place. Any inquiry would promptly be fobbed off with curt 'not for sale' or 'we want to work on it' kind of evasive replies.

About six months back she suddenly disappeared - happy I was, assuming she's met her destiny and is being restored.

Now she surfaces last week, in this unfortunate state. The incurable optimist in me is hoping she's being worked upon, and not being scavenged.

Only time will tell..
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-amby1.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-amby2.jpg  

SuperSelect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 22:26   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
This car probably now belongs to (or will soon belong to) the 'Rust in pieces' thread. But knowing her history, and ever full of hope that I am, I could not bear to put her there.

Pictures below show a lovely Mark I lying for quite a while at Bandra reclamation, Mumbai.

About six months back she suddenly disappeared - happy I was, assuming she's met her destiny and is being restored.

Now she surfaces last week, in this unfortunate state. The incurable optimist in me is hoping she's being worked upon, and not being scavenged.

Only time will tell..
Nice depiction of the Mark I. The red oxide on its surface indicates that we still have hope.Can only hope that the car is resurrected.
Old 25th June 2012, 09:06   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
I think this is the MRC registered car that used to be on the other side of the road, with a large 'IND' sticker at the back. If so, she was bought some time back by a BHPian and being restored.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 10:53   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I think this is the MRC registered car that used to be on the other side of the road, with a large 'IND' sticker at the back. If so, she was bought some time back by a BHPian and being restored.
Yes Karl, it's the same one. I'm so relieved she's in the right hands !!
Old 30th June 2012, 21:23   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

A must see for all Ambassador fans:

This was made in 2008 (Golden Jubilee) but the great car still lugs on and on - its 2012 !
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:46   #701
BHPian

Finally, I had got my hands on a Land master. It's a 57 Model.The snaps of the car will be uploaded within a few days. A fellow BHP-ian has helped me in acquiring this original side valve landy. The car was send for mechanical works and to our surprise,we found most of the parts were still original. However, we had to fabricate certain parts like the pulleys,water pump etc.The mechanical works are now complete and the car is perfect and smooth.The only problem left is that the original SU carb has a leak.I would be obliged if anybody can let me know the specification of the carb like HS2,HS4 Etc. which were fitted to the landy so that i can search for them in UK.
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:11   #702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The car has been displayed in the media often. This car was featured in AUTOCAR India and road tested some five plus years back. I still have that issue with me. The tester said the car is so heavy and the engine underpowered to pull it ably through the city traffic. Don't know what his comments would have been had the car been still fitted with its original side valve? The point is that since the owners like to display the car in the showroom and through the media, it would have been worthwhile to make it look more original.
Dear Anjan / Kasli / Bulldogji and all - this Landmaster was tested by Autocar India along with my left hand drive Premier Padmini somewhere in 2008/9. The car refused to start in the showroom at 6.30 in the morning, before the photo session. An ignition coil was brought from my house to start it. It is the passion that matters, not the infrastructure. No wonder it is in such a non-original state. I hope somebody rectifies it properly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 23:05   #703
Senior - BHPian

Saw a lot of Ambassador taxis were seen together at the South Railway Station today night. Difficult to see so many Ambys other than in Kolkata these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-ambys.jpg  

rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 00:03   #704
BHPian

Quote:
In case you are 100% sure it is 1969 model it would be 1970 February delivered car. All 1969 models were with all white colour marked meters with a three light centre unit and three gauges, the additional being lube oil pressure meter.
Further till 1971 SU carburetors were the OE. Solex was introduced in 1971.
May i know when exactly solex carburetors were introduced in the ambassador cars as somebody informed me that it was in the 80s. i would be happy if a authentic reference can be given as i have a 77 model mark III.
Old 6th July 2012, 07:34   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUN.V View Post
May i know when exactly solex carburetors were introduced in the ambassador cars as somebody informed me that it was in the 80s. i would be happy if a authentic reference can be given as i have a 77 model mark III.
I am very much sure that in 1970 model it was a SU carburetor and I remember seeing the Solex carburetors in the 1971 model Ambassadors. Yes as OE. This was also the model when the speedo console came with that Aluminium and Mica garnish/inserts and the cut type foam cladding on the dash. Also the Mark II emblem was shifted from the fenders to the boot lid.

Btb, which carburetor your 77 mark3 have?

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th July 2012 at 07:37.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks