Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:40   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Saw this Amby today parked at Ettumanoor near Kottayam. The vehicle is clean and had original meters Smiths; or could be Autometer. I was unable to view closely. Had floor gears, diesel power block and AC.
The car is as Mark 1, but the MVD site show this car as a 1966 model and in which case it had to be converted backwards to Mark 1 from MarkII. The registration number is of 1968. The MVD record can also be wrong because of being backlogged one. Confusing but fact remains that the car is quite lovely. Take a look.
Kottayam is the place where a lot of conversions of Mark2,3and 4 to Mark 1 ambassador has taken place in recent times.so it could very well be a retromod
Old 24th October 2012, 13:10   #782
BHPian

or probably someone found a 66 RC with diesel entry and fancy no and plonked it on a mark-1 car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Kottayam is the place where a lot of conversions of Mark2,3and 4 to Mark 1 ambassador has taken place in recent times.so it could very well be a retromod
Old 24th October 2012, 14:10   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
or probably someone found a 66 RC with diesel entry and fancy no and plonked it on a mark-1 car .
The registration number is not a very fancy one, as I had, to conceal original identity, arranged it so as is done in the forum.
Old 26th October 2012, 21:05   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

Chowringhee Road, Calcutta - actors Rakhee Gulzar and Aparna Sen peeping from a balcony!
All the cars are Ambassadors on the street. Believe that there was no other car maker making fitter cars for the Calcutta market - those were the days !!

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-picture-445.jpg

(picture from an old The Telegraph issue with me)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th October 2012 at 21:07.
Old 9th November 2012, 21:14   #785
Distinguished - BHPian

Some older Ambassadors from quickr.com.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1958-i.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1958-ii.jpg

Two pictures of a 1958 model

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1969.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1969-i.jpg

Two pictures of a 1969 model with a retro restoration

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1977.jpg

A 1977 model

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1983.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1983-i.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1983-ii.jpg

Three pictures of a 1983 model

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1959.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1959-i.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1959-ii.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1959-iii.jpg

Four pictures of a 1959 model
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 20:18   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

An article entitled "Getting The Most Out Of Your Ambassador", that appeared in the Indian Auto Journal in February 1987.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-picture-045.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-picture-046.jpg

Some parts of the article are quite informative and useful. But some suggestions like "slicing off the rain gutters as they hamper aerodynamic air flow" are not very palatable and acceptable to one and all. Imagine telling that to one who owns an old 1947 Morris 8. The owner may simply attack the person suggesting such blasphemous modifications.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th November 2012 at 20:26.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 20:36   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
An article entitled "Getting The Most Out Of Your Ambassador", that appeared in the Indian Auto Journal in February 1987.

Attachment 1016890

Attachment 1016889

Some parts of the article are quite informative and useful. But some suggestions like "slicing off the rain gutter as they hamper aerodynamic air flow" are not very palatable and acceptable to one and all. Imagine telling that to one who owns an old 1947 Morris 8. The owner may simply attack the person suggesting such blasphemous modifications.
Anjan ji,I am writing about time period 1980. I had a project at Ambad near nasik. All new Ambys were driven from Calcutta to mumbai to be delivered to dealers.
I used to see how those convoy drivers driving racklessly and used to make extra buck by tying one or two ambys to a leading car by means of old cycle tyres thus saving petrol cost which they claim from the dealers when they reach their destination.
Now imagine the plight of the leading car's new engine ,which will be damaged during this run.The towed cars engines would have been as good as factory fitted and without any run-in....
Any way now that practice is no more.........
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 11:37   #788
BHPian

Hi,

This was spotted yesterday in Metro, Kanakapura road. I dont know the owner and if its for sale .

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-20121125-15.02.41_900x675.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-20121125-15.03.07_900x675.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-20121125-15.04.00.jpg  

srinand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 14:45   #789
BHPian

Srinand You are amazing man!! You are digging up cars that i thought were lost for good here in Bangalore. If I am correct this car is pretty original and was for sale some time ago..
car love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:50   #790
Distinguished - BHPian

My Lady in Black pictured near a heritage structure - heritage movable and immovable in tandem:

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc00100.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc00099.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc00101.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc00098.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc00102.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:34   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
structure - heritage movable and immovable in tandem:
Which is this heritage immovable property and is it in Nagpur.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:33   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Srinand You are amazing man!! You are digging up cars that i thought were lost for good here in Bangalore. If I am correct this car is pretty original and was for sale some time ago..

Hi car love,

Thank you for the kind words. Thanks to the efforts of other people on Teambhp that i have been encouraged to take the little bit of extra effort in posting whatever i see. I am sure more people do see stuff and will post as soon as they realize how much joy they are spreading.

Off topic: Could you please quote the person you are replying to as it ensures the person receives a notice, if not may not know you have responded to them, hence the delay in responding to you now!

Thank you,

Srinand.
Old 14th December 2012, 17:24   #793
BHPian

Hi,
Anybody has a pic of how trafficators are mounted on the landmaster? Inisde and Outside too. My landmasters trafficator slots are closed by the previous owner. Now I have bought a set of SF80 and managed to put them in position. My question is, is there any way to prevent rain/wash water from going into the B pillar from around the trafficator arms? Is there any packing kind of thing that is supposed to be there to prevent this?

My landmaster can be seen at this link, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2271261
Old 15th December 2012, 13:59   #794

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Hi,
Anybody has a pic of how trafficators are mounted on the landmaster? Inisde and Outside too. My landmasters trafficator slots are closed by the previous owner. Now I have bought a set of SF80 and managed to put them in position.
Is the wiring still there to connect to the trafficators?
Trafficators are wonderful things. People smile and point when they see them
The only problem is that most drivers don't know about them - this may endanger your car if they don't see them!
An excellent compromise is a circuit to run the trafficators and flashing indicators at the same time. You can find my .pdf of this circuit for a Morris Oxford here.

Quote:
My question is, is there any way to prevent rain/wash water from going into the B pillar from around the trafficator arms? Is there any packing kind of thing that is supposed to be there to prevent this?
You can't prevent all the rain getting in. There should be drainholes in the bottom of the sill to let water out.
I recommend getting some sort of wax/oil rust preventer inside the sill. There are round rubber plugs on the sill inside the car. Remove these and spray the wax/oil inside the sill.

Your Landmaster looks very good in the photo.
Old 15th December 2012, 21:09   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_ox View Post
Is the wiring still there to connect to the trafficators?
Trafficators are wonderful things. People smile and point when they see them
The only problem is that most drivers don't know about them - this may endanger your car if they don't see them!
An excellent compromise is a circuit to run the trafficators and flashing indicators at the same time. You can find my .pdf of this circuit for a Morris Oxford here.

You can't prevent all the rain getting in. There should be drainholes in the bottom of the sill to let water out.
I recommend getting some sort of wax/oil rust preventer inside the sill. There are round rubber plugs on the sill inside the car. Remove these and spray the wax/oil inside the sill.

Your Landmaster looks very good in the photo.
Hi,
The wiring is not there and will be done now. The trafficators will be operated by a seperate switch, I will not connect them to the indicator switch. It is not practically possible to use trafficators here. Vehicles pass with even 1cm gap and the trafficators are very vulnerable. The car is a daily driver, but the trafficators are only for ocassional use and for the cosmetic originality.

So far drain holes seem to be the only way out. Is that the way the car was designed? Water goes in through the trafficator area and passes out from bottom? The denter was mentioning that he has seen a rubber beeding(on someother vintage) on the body where the trafficator arm sits. So I was thinking if there is anything that is supposed to be there.

Do you have trafficators on your car? Can you share pics if possible?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks