Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2013, 13:22   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
BTW, there is a low light MM in between. The second car from right (Landmaster) has the wipers in opposite direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
That doesn't seem to be a Landmaster. Check the bonnet, headlights and driver side window which has no quarter glass. It's a Fiat.

-- Jose
+1 to Jose - also remember the Fiats had wipers going the wrong way along with indicator switches being in the wrong side (as in a left hand drive car)

There is atleast one Hindustan 14 as well - the car after the street lamp post.

But a wow line up - where was this Rejith ?

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 20:20   #887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Anjanji, I am afraid it is not. Jalwa horns were after market add on fitments, as the OE horns were very very bad. And Jalwa was the preferred after market horns for Ambassadors then, as it was cheaper compared to Bosch which were mounted outside atop the bumper.

The location of the horn in the picture is proof of it. OE horns were fitted on either side behind the grill by the side of the radiator. In two of the pictures some other horns were seen which were also not OE.
There used to be a widely circulated joke on those days about Ambys; everything makes noise except the horn.
Rajeevji, please get your facts right.
The older Ambassadors came fitted with the imported Motolite horns (Made in England), that continued till the mid 1960's.

With the indigenisation efforts and compulsions, a Delhi based electrician who just repaired horns, produced an exact replica of the OE Autolite double horn. Soon, finding enough capital from proper sources and enterprising that he was, the Delhi based Jalwa Horn company came up. It very soon became the OE supplier of double horns to HM and some other auto companies. The HM- Jalwa love affair continued for 25 years or more.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0341.jpg

A Mark I - the red dome of the horn is seen to our left near the radiator

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-issis-engine-1.jpg

Morris Issis ( the 6 cyl/ 2.6 L version of the Oxford) engine bay. The black dome of the horn is seen to our left near the radiator

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-issisroad-test.jpg

Morris Issis road test - again the black dome of the horn can be seen to our right near the radiator

Attachment 1126118

Morris Oxford road test - again the black dome of the horn can be seen to our left near the radiator

Last edited by karlosdeville : 19th August 2013 at 10:47. Reason: On request
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 00:06   #888
Distinguished - BHPian

While the Jalwa horns were very popularly fitted to Fiats and especially Ambys in the 60s to the 80s, I doubt they were factory fitted. Perhaps most dealers would fit them at extra charge.

They would cost 74 rupees a set new at one time - they were the most powerful amongst other contemporary brands like Mitsuba, Venus or Sharco. They were knock offs of the Japanese Mitsuba, which were in turn knock offs of the Lucas series.

Here are the Jalwa horns fitted to my Standard 10 (aftermarket, of course)

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-jalwa01.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-jalwa02.jpg

Here is a set of Venus horns that I was lucky to get.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-venus01.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-venus02.jpg

The Lucas and later Autolite (a MICO BOSCH design) horns were always black, and these were factory fitted items. The pair was fitted individually, i.e one on the left and one on the right (one marked HI and one marked LOW). They had more flared trumpets, and a richer though more mellowed sound. The Jalwa sets were sharper and much louder, though still sounded super. Jalwas had a smooth dome covering, whereas all the others had a little ridge / step at the base of the dome in the design.

Forgive my digression into dual tone horns, but they give a simply superb period sound that makes my day
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 00:08   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
+1 to Jose - also remember the Fiats had wipers going the wrong way along with indicator switches being in the wrong side (as in a left hand drive car)

There is atleast one Hindustan 14 as well - the car after the street lamp post.

But a wow line up - where was this Rejith ?

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
I ignored the bonnet patti. Thanks for the rectification. Its indeed a Fiat.

Also I made a small mistake, that's a MM Series II/Hindusthan Tiger (Series II-normal light and not low light) Definitely not a Hindusthan 14. Check the headlight and windshield dividers.

A MM Series II
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1000.jpg

Morris Oxford MO aka Hindusthan 14*
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-mo.jpg

Source - Wikipedia

Last edited by amit V8 : 18th August 2013 at 00:11.
amit V8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 21:01   #890
Distinguished - BHPian

Two old Ambassador pictures posted by Mr Manoj Kumar on FB:

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-actress-asin.jpg

Actor Asin during her childhood

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-rajiv-gandhisoniag.jpg

The Late PM Shri Rajiv Gandhi and Mrs Sonia, when the former was an Air India pilot
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 21:19   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Rajeevji, please get your facts right.
The older Ambassadors came fitted with the imported Motolite horns (Made in England), that continued till the mid 1960's.

With the indigenisation efforts and compulsions, a Delhi based electrician who just repaired horns, produced an exact replica of the OE Autolite double horn. Soon, finding enough capital from proper sources and enterprising that he was, the Delhi based Jalwa Horn company came up. It very soon became the OE supplier of double horns to HM and some other auto companies. The HM- Jalwa love affair continued for 25 years or more.
I vividly remember buying and fixing Jalwa Horns with in a few months of buying my father's 1970 June Ambassador Mark II, KLV 3546, when the OE horns konked off. The OE horn and Jalwas were similar looking. I do not remember the make of original horn which starts with the alphabet S.
Perhaps, Jalwa horns would have become OE but if at all it is so it is definitely later than 1970/71.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th August 2013 at 21:23.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 12:57   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I ignored the bonnet patti. Thanks for the rectification. Its indeed a Fiat.

Also I made a small mistake, that's a MM Series II/Hindusthan Tiger (Series II-normal light and not low light) Definitely not a Hindusthan 14. Check the headlight and windshield dividers.

A MM Series II
Attachment 1126218

Morris Oxford MO aka Hindusthan 14*
Attachment 1126217

Source - Wikipedia
There is no car which was called Hindustan Tiger but the Baby Hindustan Based on the Morris Minor
Old 20th August 2013, 21:10   #893
Distinguished - BHPian

A FB friend from Pune has just restored his Ambassador Mark I

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dhananjaybadamikar.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 21:57   #894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A FB friend from Pune has just restored his Ambassador Mark I

Attachment 1127303
Nice to see the car restored. I remember the owner telling me it was a single owner 62 model, from a relative.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 00:14   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
There is no car which was called Hindustan Tiger but the Baby Hindustan Based on the Morris Minor
I know that very well. The Baby Hindustan post 1950 (1000cc engine) were locally known as 'tiger'. Hence my writing.
Old 21st August 2013, 00:42   #896
BHPian

is the car being shown from 6:58 to 7:13 in this video, Hindustan Porter?

Old 21st August 2013, 01:54   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
is the car being shown from 6:58 to 7:13 in this video, Hindustan Porter?
Nope, that's a Standard 10 Companion. Here is a reference - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1066451

-- Jose
josejoseph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 12:17   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that very well. The Baby Hindustan post 1950 (1000cc engine) were locally known as 'tiger'. Hence my writing.
Sorry to correct you.The Baby Hindustan came with the 948cc engine only from 1954.If my info is correct baby hindustans were assembled in INDIA only from 1952 or so and it always came with OHV engines(correct me if this is wrong)
Old 21st August 2013, 17:39   #899
BHPian

Probably the most famous amby in TN belonged to former CM, Sri MGR ...
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-pc0020500.jpg  

WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 20:45   #900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Sorry to correct you.The Baby Hindustan came with the 948cc engine only from 1954.If my info is correct baby hindustans were assembled in INDIA only from 1952 or so and it always came with OHV engines(correct me if this is wrong)
Yes indeed, it was called the Baby Hindustan and the chrome plated badge on the rear boot read "Hindustan". The car had an OHV engine, as the side valve engines were done away with, ever since the low light Minor was replaced by the newer model, to the best of my knowledge.

The earliest low light Minors (1948-53) made in the U.K. had the 914 cc, side valve engines. When the newer model came in 1952, it was powered by the 803 cc, OHV engine, that was produced till 1956. Only in 1956, the 948 cc OHV engine was introduced in the U.K., the Minors being badged as the Minor 1000. A 1098 cc, OHV engine was introduced in 1962 as an option and the Minors were produced till 1971.

So it may not be true that our Baby Hindustan was powered by the 948 cc OHV engine (introduced in the U.K. only in 1956), as these were produced since 1954, I believe and HM ws never so tech savvy to usher in the 1956 engine immediately.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-rajiv-singhs-1955-baby-hindustan.jpg

Above: a teambhp photo of a 1955 Baby Hindustan from Kanpur

A noteworthy point is that HM opted for the four door Minor and not the two door version, knowing our market pulse very well, even in the early days. I am also familiar with the car being called a Hindustan "Tiger", but am not sure if it was so badged officially by HM.

Back to the topic:
Another fact is that HM did not change over to the BMC OHV 1489 cc engine, with the changeover from the Hindustan 14 to Landmaster in 1954. The Landmasters made from 1954-57, were powered by the 1476 cc side valve BMC engine, carried over from the Hindustan 14. Whereas, in the U.K., Morris Oxford Series II (our Landmaster) when introduced in 1954, got the new OHV 1489 cc power plant.
Even in 1958 when the Ambassador (Morris Oxford Series III) was introduced it, had the same 1476 cc, BMC side valve engine. Only in 1960, the 1489 cc OHV engine were ushered in by HM, to power the Ambassadors thereafter.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st August 2013 at 21:10.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks