Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 11:39   #1201
BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A 1972 Ambassador from Olx - the car looks awesome and has been painstakingly restored with its originality on the mind.

Attachment 1376703

Attachment 1376704

Attachment 1376705

Attachment 1376706

Attachment 1376707

(link posted on Ambassador FB page by Member Mr Manoj Kumar)
A real treat to see a vehicle in such a nice shape. Only thing that is missing is the sun shade to make it all complete.
automannj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 15:43   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Spotted at Mysore. Seemed abandoned.
Attached Images

schakravarthy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 14:43   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Based on the dashboard and the number, it seems like an early Mark 2. Steering, taillamps and a few other things seem to have been replaced with later parts. Still it seems to be a good Mark 2 to restore
Gearphile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 23:10   #1204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The floor gear indicates that it could be dieselised. Matador diesels were rampantly fitted to older Ambassadors to give better answers to questions like: " Average kya hain?"
Old 17th June 2015, 18:26   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The floor gear indicates that it could be dieselised. Matador diesels were rampantly fitted to older Ambassadors to give better answers to questions like: " Average kya hain?"
That is not necessarily true though. My father had fitted the floor gear after changing the original gearbox a bit including the casing. He did it because he was suffering from frozen shoulder back in those days and shifting the hand gear use to cause him pain. Perhaps it was also a fad from the more "modern" Mark 4 in the market at that time.
Old 18th June 2015, 18:21   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearphile View Post
That is not necessarily true though. My father had fitted the floor gear after changing the original gearbox a bit including the casing. He did it because he was suffering from frozen shoulder back in those days and shifting the hand gear use to cause him pain. Perhaps it was also a fad from the more "modern" Mark 4 in the market at that time.
How can that be true?.to the best of my knowledge Mark4 was having steering gear
Old 18th June 2015, 19:15   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
How can that be true?.to the best of my knowledge Mark4 was having steering gear
You are right about the original Mark 4s, they had the steering column gear as far as I can remember from my childhood. I think some later model that looked like Mark 4, much later, had floor gear shift. It was probably the Ambassador classic. I lived away from India for a number of years, so my knowledge from that period is spotty. My father had his steering gear shift replaced in the 80s, his stick shift looked like the ones used in matador vans - a long steel rod with a knob on top.
Old 19th June 2015, 16:48   #1208
Distinguished - BHPian

On the Mark 3 a floor shifting option could apparently be specified for a cost of Rs 255

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1976.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 18:29   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
On the Mark 3 a floor shifting option could apparently be specified for a cost of Rs 255
I will see if I can find a photo of the stick shift from my father's time. I always wondered where that came from. I have now restored it to the steering column shift.

Unrelated question @karlosdeville - I am getting to a point where I need to choose paint for the restored 1962 car. Some questions -
  1. Would smoke grey be a good original color for the car ? I have seen several greys in the duco chart and I read it a couple of post about smoke grey and dove grey as original colors for 60s ambassadors.
  2. My painter is suggesting that we use non-metallic autocolor paint. I was thinking about Duco. Any suggestion on what would likely be closer to original finishing ?
  3. Should I go with red and grey interiors based on some pictures in an earlier thread ?
I will start a restoration thread after I graduate from newbie and no longer have moderation.
Old 24th June 2015, 18:33   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This is the change my father had made for a floor shifting option. It required some changes in the gearbox including the casing. No idea if this is the Mark 3 option. It was done in the mid 80s.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-ambystickshift.jpg  

Last edited by Gearphile : 24th June 2015 at 18:48.
Old 26th June 2015, 23:50   #1211
BHPian

I had a word with my father's old mechanic and he confirmed that this was apparently the stick shift option available from HM at that time (mid 80s). He said that he himself bought the replacement gearbox casing with the stick shift opening on top and rest of the kit to do the conversion.
Old 21st July 2015, 15:59   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, would anyone have any idea about how to get in touch with the owner of MYZ 868? Very interested in buying, irrespective of body condition, engine etc.

Thanks..
Old 21st July 2015, 19:01   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avkurian View Post

Hello, would anyone have any idea about how to get in touch with the owner of MYZ 868?
I can direct you to the location of the car. But, finding the owner is upto you.
Old 30th July 2015, 14:27   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
I can direct you to the location of the car. But, finding the owner is upto you.
That's fine.. Could you send a link to a Google Map location? Thanks!
Old 30th July 2015, 14:49   #1215
BHPian

I had a Ambassador with Toyota 2c engine, gypsy gearbox and 1980's Bmw steering wheel it was greenish blue colour and also Externally fitted A/c, Leather seats. it was a great car in which I used to goto school and come home daily. lot of childhood memories coming after seeing these pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks