Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Which engine is this?
Looks like Isuzu G1 turbo.
ARUN.V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:57   #1337
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

A rare picture of Chandigarh Bus Stand in the 1960's courtesy Mr Shamsher Singh.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-chandigarh-bus-stand-1960s-shamsher-singh.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 21:13   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

A picture posted by Ms Rosie Martin on a FB page. It is about their Ambassador Mark II with the words " Holidaying with an Ambassador in Kerala, 1970."

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-rosie-martin-1.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 20:53   #1339
Distinguished - BHPian

Another picture by Ms Rosie Martin with the words:
" Holidaying with an Ambassador in Yercaud, c. 1966."

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-rosie-martin-2.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 19:35   #1340

Hi all BHPians! I follow this thread since more than a fortnight and TEAM-BHP since few years. Do not post much but I am a car enthusiast. Had purchased a Gypsy King totally inspired by the Gypsy thread. Now I am looking for a Ambassador car in working condition preferably newer Grand A/C petrol version for my weekend leisure drives. My other cars include the GLE, C etc. This one will be totally for fun but should be able to use it daily.

Looking for suggestions on what to buy where to buy from you experts here. Pls guide. I'm based in Pune

Hi all! I may not have posted much but have been following this thread since more than a fortnight & Team-BHP since few years.
I have earlier purchased the Gypsy King after being inspired by the Gypsy thread.

I'm smitten by the ambassador since my childhood & wish to purchase one. I am looking for all your expert advice on which one and where to purchase from or any good leads. I stay in Pune & am looking for the newer Grand version. Reason being I want to use it as a weekend car and would like to have Power steering, A/C etc and in working condition. At present I have 2 Mercedes for my daily use.

Thanks in advance. Respected Admin pls correct me if I've posted in wrong thread

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th June 2017 at 21:32. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 26th June 2017, 21:25   #1341
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I am new to this thread. Don't know much in detail about Ambassador or Landmaster. However, came across this example of Landmaster. Although the bodyline is fair, the interior is fully modified with different seats, dashboard, steering, gearbox, etc and also some additional fittings like CD player and AC.

The most strangest part according to me is decal of "4-Wheel Drive" on the boot!! Can somebody help me identify this example? How feasible it will be to restore this beauty to its original glory?

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-wp_20170615_12_47_32_pro_li.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-wp_20170615_12_47_19_pro_li.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-wp_20170615_12_46_05_pro.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-wp_20170615_12_45_56_pro_li.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-wp_20170615_12_47_58_pro_li.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-wp_20170615_12_47_45_pro.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-wp_20170615_12_44_40_pro_li.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-wp_20170615_12_44_52_pro_li.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-wp_20170615_12_45_23_pro_li.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-wp_20170615_12_49_14_pro_li.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th June 2017 at 21:32. Reason: Formatting post.
abhi.adrenaline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 22:21   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.adrenaline View Post
Hi Friends,

The most strangest part according to me is decal of "4-Wheel Drive" on the boot!!
The badge appears to be from an old Willys. I found one recently at a garage.

Name:  ForumRunner_20170626_222102.png
Views: 1917
Size:  544.4 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 23:44   #1343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
The badge appears to be from an old Willys. I found one recently at a garage.
These 4 WD badges used to be fitted on the either sides of the aft portion of the bonnets of the 4 WD Willys Station Wagons. The Willys Station wagons also had the 2 WD option.

Its just ornamental here and does not have any significance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.adrenaline View Post
Hi Friends,

I am new to this thread. Don't know much in detail about Ambassador or Landmaster. However, came across this example of Landmaster. Although the bodyline is fair, the interior is fully modified with different seats, dashboard, steering, gearbox, etc and also some additional fittings like CD player and AC.

The most strangest part according to me is decal of "4-Wheel Drive" on the boot!! Can somebody help me identify this example? How feasible it will be to restore this beauty to its original glory?
The car appears to reveal a few facts. It could have been dieselised. The floor gear is indicative. The car is a Landmaster for sure. Also another fact is that it could have been a daily driver, till at least a decade ago. The owner has spent quite a lot on its upholstery and on refurbishing it. A point to note is that the wheel discs have been changed with the post 1990 ones fitted to Ambassadors. The dashboard also had been newly fitted then, perhaps at the time of refurbishing.

And the decaying bodyshell, especially its underside has gone unnoticed when all such expenses were made.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 22:31   #1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonziibuddy View Post
Hi all BHPians! I follow this thread since more than a fortnight and TEAM-BHP since few years. Do not post much but I am a car enthusiast. Had purchased a Gypsy King totally inspired by the Gypsy thread. Now I am looking for a Ambassador car in working condition preferably newer Grand A/C petrol version for my weekend leisure drives. My other cars include the GLE, C etc. This one will be totally for fun but should be able to use it daily.

Looking for suggestions on what to buy where to buy from you experts here. Pls guide. I'm based in Pune

Hi all! I may not have posted much but have been following this thread since more than a fortnight & Team-BHP since few years.
I have earlier purchased the Gypsy King after being inspired by the Gypsy thread.

I'm smitten by the ambassador since my childhood & wish to purchase one. I am looking for all your expert advice on which one and where to purchase from or any good leads. I stay in Pune & am looking for the newer Grand version. Reason being I want to use it as a weekend car and would like to have Power steering, A/C etc and in working condition. At present I have 2 Mercedes for my daily use.

Thanks in advance. Respected Admin pls correct me if I've posted in wrong thread

Also, pls let me know where I can repair / restore / paint & upholster Ambassadors in Pune. Need authentic vendors / mechanics who do Ambassador jobs.

Thanks in advance
Old 1st July 2017, 14:32   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonziibuddy View Post
Also, pls let me know where I can repair / restore / paint & upholster Ambassadors in Pune. Need authentic vendors / mechanics who do Ambassador jobs.

Thanks in advance
Nice to note that you want to purchase an ambassador.
As you said ambassador grand is a good car for daily use with features like power assisted disc brakes, power steering and AC. Later model grand also came with power windows.
Iam a proud owner of a 2004 diesel grand as a daily use car.
I would suggest you to go for a carburated Isuzu engine one rather than the mpfi ones in case you are particular in buying a petrol version since the sensors and other electronic related parts may be difficult to source.
But buying a diesel one would be better both in terms of availability of spares and running cost of the vehicle.
ARUN.V is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 21:13   #1346
Distinguished - BHPian

A picture from January 1978 (US President Jimmy Carter visited India during 1-3 January 1978) of Indian Prime Minister Morarji Desai with President Carter. The Ambassador Mark II in all likelihood is the then PM's car. It is a 1974-75 model. The Mark II headlight rings attained this shape, which continued with the Mark 3, 4 and many later models. This headlight ring and the number plate light were changed in the Mark II in June 1974. It continued till June 1975 with the advent of the Mark 3. The conventional, old Ambassador two lens taillight units continued despite the change of the number plate light wef June 1974. Such later Mark II 's are very rare these days.

The new single lens taillight, new front grill, bonnet motif, front parking lights and dashboard change came with the Mark 3, come June 1975.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-president-carter-pm-morarji-desai-jan-1978.jpg

This is a flickr image

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd July 2017 at 21:16.
Old 3rd July 2017, 08:11   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A picture from January 1978 (US President Jimmy Carter visited India during 1-3 January 1978) of Indian Prime Minister Morarji Desai with President Carter. The Ambassador Mark II in all likelihood is the then PM's car. It is a 1974-75 model. The Mark II headlight rings attained this shape, which continued with the Mark 3, 4 and many later models. This headlight ring and the number plate light were changed in the Mark II in June 1974. It continued till June 1975 with the advent of the Mark 3. The conventional, old Ambassador two lens taillight units continued despite the change of the number plate light wef June 1974. Such later Mark II 's are very rare these days.

The new single lens taillight, new front grill, bonnet motif, front parking lights and dashboard change came with the Mark 3, come June 1975.

Attachment 1653471

This is a flickr image
Respected Anjan sir
As mentioned by you my 1974 mark 2 has headlight rings and number plate lights a similar to mark 3 but surprisingly it is mentioned in the RC as Feb 1974 and not June 74.
There is a separate thread regarding this car which iam sure that you are aware.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-arun-amby-20.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-arun-amby-21.jpg  

ARUN.V is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 13:31   #1348
BHPian

Some more pics - Anjan sir please check if the rings are correct for the model years

Grey Amby is 77 Mark 3 and black one is 72 Mark 2
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1499155256760.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1499155281939.jpg  

autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 10:54   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Some more pics - Anjan sir please check if the rings are correct for the model years

Grey Amby is 77 Mark 3 and black one is 72 Mark 2
I believe the headlight ring on the mark 3 is the correct one but incorrect for a 72 mark 2.
Mark 3 type rings came only from 1974 , during which mark2 s were fitted with them.
It appears that both cars have flat head lamp Lenses which came only on later models.
Older models had convex lenses.
ARUN.V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 10:57   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUN.V View Post
I believe the headlight ring on the mark 3 is the correct one but incorrect for a 72 mark 2.
Mark 3 type rings came only from 1974 , during which mark2 s were fitted with them.
It appears that both cars have flat head lamp Lenses which came only on later models.
Older models had convex lenses.
Sorry, the mark 3 has the correct lense.
Excuse me for the oversight

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks