Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 11:26   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Have been seeing this car parked around the same vicinity at Colaba for a few days now. It has a lot of Morris Oxford logos on it, an overdose of badging i suppose but on the whole the car seems to be well cared for and in good shape.

Also missing was the bakelite knob bezel around the ignition key which acted as a light switch. Have not seen those for a while on cars now.
Like JayD said, Cyrus had posted a hazy picture of it earlier, sparking off the 'Landy/Lando' debate

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...beautiful.html

Again, like JayD said, Landmasters didn't have that rotary bakelite light switch. It was a conventional ignition lock switch where the key turned once, and then pull the starter knob to start the car.

My Amby has the rotary system in place, it is a delight to use. But the switch has burnt out last month so she is immobile.

Thanks for the nice pics!
Old 20th July 2009, 12:25   #227
Senior - BHPian

The sunshade on this landy looks fab ! Is it by any chance an adjustable one ?
Old 20th July 2009, 12:42   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
The sunshade on this landy looks fab ! Is it by any chance an adjustable one ?
It does appear to be adjustable. This variety was very popular on American cars especially.

Only once have I seen a small one, fitted to Srini's Millecento in Bombay. As they are quite large for a small light car like the Fiat, they have a tendancy to fly off quite often.
Old 16th August 2009, 13:36   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Many years back when I was in school my father gifted me a cheapie camera to play with. I put it to good use.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-amby.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-14.jpg

These 2 were parked near each other on East Street in Pune. Never saw them before, never saw them again.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2009, 15:11   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The Landy does not have the light switch like this. its only the early amby's which do.
Ops!! Didnt know that. See you learn every day from this forum. Kya baat hai!!

Loved your pics Anjan
Old 17th August 2009, 09:43   #231
BHPian

[FONT=&quot]Here is my much used 1964 Amby Mark II. The car was bought new by my dad in Cochin, from Marikar Motors and was registered KLE 3333. Later on, in Bangalore, we had to re-register it. I’ve traveled over most of India in it; the first photo is at Ganmukteshwar, near Delhi, at the Ganga ghat. The next two were taken when I drove the car down from Delhi to Bangalore this January. The car has been repainted in its original colour, named ‘Autumn Russet’. It was not a popular colour and was perhaps factory supplied only for two years. Incidentally, the Fiats of that period also gave this colour as an option. The interior has been retained as near original; with the large Smith’s meters and the column gear shift. The engine was changed to a Matador 305 diesel, which means a lot of noise and vibration, with excellent fuel economy on the plus side. I have the original engine which can be dropped in at any time. The car has run in excess of 500000 miles. For the last five years, she suffered for being parked out in the rain and sun in Delhi, where she served as my regular means of transport. The car is being semi restored now, but at a slow pace as I have not been able to attend to it regularly. [/FONT]
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-zzj_img_3534.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-zzj_img_6089.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-zzj_img_6216.jpg  

tonrag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2009, 19:18   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Ops!! Didnt know that. See you learn every day from this forum. Kya baat hai!!

Loved your pics Anjan
Thanks V-16, will scan and post more pictures from older issues.the restoration work there is superb. Moreover, most spares are plentifully available in brand new condition from the proper places,though priced much higher compared to our prices.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th August 2009 at 19:20.
Old 17th August 2009, 20:31   #233
Senior - BHPian

the Hindustan 14 looks great, any more pictures??
Old 23rd August 2009, 15:56   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

A Landmaster I spotted in Secunderabad today- quite a few things missing/not original on this but still looks 'untouched'. It has a district regn.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-landy01.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-landy02.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2009, 16:03   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A Landmaster I spotted in Secunderabad today- quite a few things missing/not original on this but still looks 'untouched'. It has a district regn.

Attachment 179104

Attachment 179105

A very retro shade on the car. me like! btw, is the dash original? Any pix of the interiors?
Old 23rd August 2009, 16:27   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
A very retro shade on the car. me like! btw, is the dash original? Any pix of the interiors?
Sorry, none! :(
I took even these pics. in a kinda sneaky way as I was afraid of attracting too much attention!

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the colour- yes, I too wanted to say that its a very period colour for these cars! 'been ages since I saw a HM car in this colour! Quite a refreshing change from the usual 'babu' cars in white!
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:52   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
[FONT=&quot]The car has run in excess of 500000 miles. For the last five years, she suffered for being parked out in the rain and sun in Delhi, where she served as my regular means of transport. [/FONT]
Wow ! Only an Ambassador can stand this kind of use, and still look great. I loved the last pic. The marker says "Mumbai 1200". The Amby looks like she's ready to hit the road and munch those 1200 kms for breakfast .
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:04   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
[FONT=&quot] The car has been repainted in its original colour, named ‘Autumn Russet’. It was not a popular colour and was perhaps factory supplied only for two years. Incidentally, the Fiats of that period also gave this colour as an option. [/FONT]
tonrag Liked your car. This colour was in vogue for the first few batches of the Mark II in 1964.Its very rare as owners resorted to repainting as many even after buying one may have not liked the colour.
The Fiat Super Select was also available in this colour but the SS colour was much more shiny and maybe the paint quality was better. Ambys with this shade lost their sheen sooner I feel and looked a bit dull. Your repaint job makes the car have a shiny appearance-maybe your paint quality is better than the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Attachment 179104

Attachment 179105
A treat Stanher to the eyes. Landmasters came in this colour too if I am not mistaken.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd August 2009 at 23:08.
Old 24th August 2009, 00:04   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This colour was in vogue for the first few batches of the Mark II in 1964.Its very rare as owners resorted to repainting as many even after buying one may have not liked the colour.
The Fiat Super Select was also available in this colour but the SS colour was much more shiny and maybe the paint quality was better. Your repaint job makes the car have a shiny appearance-maybe your paint quality is better than the original.
I wont doubt that his paint is indeed of better quality than that of the co.!!

Incidentally, the early delights also came in this colour, most also having been repainted subsequently.

Quote:
A treat Stanher to the eyes. Landmasters came in this colour too if I am not mistaken.
Yes I'm sure they did. So did Ambys of course.

Incidentally, I saw a much better-kept one in "cairo-dust" colour(?) that I'd followed briefly in traffic on my way from work yesterday. It was missing only the "LANDMASTER" side-badges, plus original steering wheel (had an ugly modern amby one!)
No pics. I'm afraid, as I was on my vehicle then.
Old 30th August 2009, 06:20   #240
BHPian

Quote:
I wont doubt that his paint is indeed of better quality than that of the co.!!
Yes, I'm afraid it is. When I took over the car, it had changed colour twice, once to grey and then to pure white. There was absolutely no reference for the shade. I went to my experienced paint supplier, who found me an old Spartan Paints colour chart. He also remembered the colour well and then mixed me the Duco paint. For durability's sake, I gave the car final coats of Duport paint. Right now the car is undergoing tinkering and repainting, and I'll do the same thing, even though using a two pack paint is strictly not original.
tonrag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks