Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 00:46   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Perhaps the new Pune regn or the name of the chap you sold it to would help.
Can't say much on that. Both us brothers were away by that time. Papa moved on early this year. Ma's out of town, will ask her though when she comes here, incase she knows/remembers.

Quote:
Interesingly there was a very neat Mk 2 with a Parsee in Pune with an early 90s regn. I wonder.
Could be, could be...

Quote:
I had seen this photo somewhere online. Thought you might like it.
Loved it, thanks.
Old 27th August 2008, 09:29   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Interesingly there was a very neat Mk 2 with a Parsee in Pune with an early 90s regn. I wonder.
I must tell you more about this car. She was in Natina blue, with an MH 12 J XXX regn. I was travelling in my Alto to Lonavala on the old Bombay Poona highway, and however much I tried, there was no way in hell I could overtake that car. She was doing a steady 100-110 right through. She used to be parked walking distance from my house but then apparently got sold. I recently saw her in white, with plastic bumpers, non original tailights etc. She might have had an engine transplant too, who knows. I wish I had taken pics, she looked very royal in natina Blue.
Old 27th August 2008, 10:09   #63
BHPian

Overtaken by an AMBY

Hi All,

I just went through the entire thread and this reminded me of how personal these cars were. Don't see people having any such attachments with their cars any more the way people used to have with their Ambys and Fiats.

A little over a month back, I was driving my sisters Wagon R. We were going to the new Hyderabad Airport to see off my bro-in-law. I was behind the wheel, sister along side and bro-in-law and a friend of his were sitting behind. At one point, I was doing like 80kmph overtaking some of the Logans etc and I hear a honk behind me. A glance into the RVM surprises me, OMG an AMBY wanting to go past me. I pressed the pedal and was at 90kmph and the AMBY only got closer. I had to give it side and in no time it was pulling away. On the Shamshabad road, I crossed the 90kmph mark the AMBY was still pulling away and there seemed to be this officier in the backseat calmly checking out a newpaper. A little traffic helped me catch her again and then we came on to the airport road, she was right behind me and I gave her side even before she honked and it started to disappear. Sister asked me "Why is the car shaking?" I checked the speedo and the needle was on 100kmph and that AMBY was out of sight. I am sure she must have easily crossed 120kmph and looked very very stable.

That day I was overtaken by an AMBY physically and mentally yet again.

When will they start making CARS again?
Old 27th August 2008, 19:42   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaser_cyclist View Post
Hi All,

I just went through the entire thread and this reminded me of how personal these cars were. Don't see people having any such attachments with their cars any more the way people used to have with their Ambys and Fiats.

A little over a month back, I was driving my sisters Wagon R. We were going to the new Hyderabad Airport to see off my bro-in-law. I was behind the wheel, sister along side and bro-in-law and a friend of his were sitting behind. At one point, I was doing like 80kmph overtaking some of the Logans etc and I hear a honk behind me. A glance into the RVM surprises me, OMG an AMBY wanting to go past me. I pressed the pedal and was at 90kmph and the AMBY only got closer. I had to give it side and in no time it was pulling away. On the Shamshabad road, I crossed the 90kmph mark the AMBY was still pulling away and there seemed to be this officier in the backseat calmly checking out a newpaper. A little traffic helped me catch her again and then we came on to the airport road, she was right behind me and I gave her side even before she honked and it started to disappear. Sister asked me "Why is the car shaking?" I checked the speedo and the needle was on 100kmph and that AMBY was out of sight. I am sure she must have easily crossed 120kmph and looked very very stable.

That day I was overtaken by an AMBY physically and mentally yet again.

When will they start making CARS again?
I bully Maruti's all the time, especially when I'm in a bad mood, my Amby is very quick in the 40-110 kmph dash, the 1800 Isuzu MPFIed Petrol that I have is a gem of an engine with amazing tourque.
Old 27th August 2008, 22:42   #65
Senior - BHPian

Bullying marutis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I bully Maruti's all the time, especially when I'm in a bad mood, my Amby is very quick in the 40-110 kmph dash, the 1800 Isuzu MPFIed Petrol that I have is a gem of an engine with amazing tourque.
Hah ! This scene from way back in 1994 will never go away from my memories. I was driving MMG 4189, my dad's jet black, tinted glassed "smuggler's car" Amby mark 4 at worli. Three kids (well, even I was a kid then) in an 800 blasting music tried to race past me. Refusing to relent, I stepped on it, and within minutes this turned into a full blown traffic light drag race, all the way from Glaxo to the Nehru centre signal. The last leg, a 1 km straight from here to Haji ali was pure madness, and in hindsight I'm glad we all came out alive.
The three pot was no match for my 1489cc OHV.
I beat them hollow, and the expression on their faces made me sure they'd line up at National Garage the next day, to book an Ambassador mark 4.
Old 28th August 2008, 08:02   #66
Team-BHP Support

Ravi, I guess many of us have similar stories to tell about our Ambys. My 1978 Mark 3, MMF 5245 was another such character. I got this car as an 18 year old (October '94), just because no one else in the family wanted to drive it. It was lying idle. It had a very smooth sounding engine, but, it guzzled petrol like nobody's business. 8km/l must be the best figure I achieved.
Old 28th August 2008, 23:16   #67
Senior - BHPian

All this amby talk makes me want to drive an amby, right now - it's been years ! By the way Addy, I want to come and see your Contessa sometime, been hearing so much about her !
Old 31st August 2008, 10:29   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir William Morris' Property Up For Sale
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-nuffieldplace.jpg

Source : Nuffield-place.com with inputs from yours truly
Friends, Some bad and sad news for Morris car fans that is going unnoticed as a thread in another section of this website. so decided to post an extract here for viewing:
This lovely house was once the residence of Sir William Richard Morris and his late wife (later Lord Nuffield) from 1933-1963, the year he passed away.He was the founder owner of Morris Motors UK.The Nuffield College (Medical) which is housed here and was set up by Lord Nuffield.It was recently featured in England's 1000 best houses.The house has lots of memorabilia of the furnitures, tapestry and other items used by its owner.He was a benefactor to the city of Oxford to the field of medicine and education, Oxford University and also to motoring.
This house is visited by Morris car fans regularly.It has been decided to sell it during end of September 2008. The Morris car clubs are up in arms and are collecting funds to buy out the property so that motoring history is not vanquished.
I came to know about it from the Quarterly journal "Quality First" of the Morris Cowley, Oxford and Issis Owners Club, Oxford, UK, that reached me by mail just today. The MCOC is desperately campaigning to prevent its sale for commercial use. Soon I logged in to the "Save Nuffield Place" website . Its sad that history should get obliterated and give way to commerce. Even our very own Hindustan Motors owes its origin to Morris Motors.
A mail that I had received from the Save Nuffield Place Committee in response to my concern is reproduced here:-
Dear Dr. Chatterjee

Many thanks for your kind email and your concern about Nuffield Place. We do have hope that we will be able to preserve it. I will keep you informed of what happens.

I am glad to hear that you are a Morris car enthusiast. Do you know if there are any Morris car enthusiasts or owners clubs in India?
Kind regards

Joanna Gamester
Keeper of Nuffield Place

<nuffield.place@nuffield.ox.ac.uk>

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 31st August 2008 at 10:41.
Old 31st August 2008, 13:45   #69
BHPian

enjoy the pictures of this beauty
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0128.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0131.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0134.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0138.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0139.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0140.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0141.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0143.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0145.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img_0149.jpg  

boeuff is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2008, 16:28   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a very original and straight 1960 Mk 2 Amby for sale, along with the green dieselised Landmaster I posted earlier. The interiors too were all intact. If I remember right he was asking 35-40k. Not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-01.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-02.jpg  

Old 31st August 2008, 19:05   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a very original and straight 1960 Mk 2 Amby for sale, along with the green dieselised Landmaster I posted earlier. The interiors too were all intact. If I remember right he was asking 35-40k. Not sure.
Any antecedents of this car known, or possible to feret out? You know what I'm getting at! Even though you say this is a '60 model, maybe I was wrong on the '62 bit of ours, since we had a few of them around. Thanks.

Last edited by Prabal : 31st August 2008 at 19:08.
Old 31st August 2008, 19:35   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Any antecedents of this car known, or possible to feret out? You know what I'm getting at! Even though you say this is a '60 model, maybe I was wrong on the '62 bit of ours, since we had a few of them around. Thanks.
Oops, my mistake. I meant to say 1962 model. Thats what I'm told, and I believe him. The regn. dates to about 1975, Pune. So it isn't your car.
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:37   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across this very neat Mk 1 the other day. Recently purchased from first owner, never been welded, very clean body, one of the straightest Ive seen. Some fittings missing, but apparently safely stored at home like headlight rings, bumper guards, meters, grille trim, tailights etc. May come up for sale soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-02.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-03.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2008, 13:50   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I came across this very neat Mk 1 the other day. Recently purchased from first owner, never been welded, very clean body, one of the straightest Ive seen. Some fittings missing, but apparently safely stored at home like headlight rings, bumper guards, meters, grille trim, tailights etc. May come up for sale soon.
WOW Karl! Drool maal.

But, I just don't feel like deviating from FIAT collection.

Last edited by President : 2nd September 2008 at 13:52.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:14   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oops, my mistake. I meant to say 1962 model.
When was Mark II launched? I thought it was 1964?

Most Viewed