Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2008, 12:41   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, let us not digress - pls return to the task on hand. While lessons learnt should not be forgotten, there is no point in opening closed discussions.
Old 28th October 2008, 13:02   #152
Senior - BHPian

The interior and exterior is looking nice.

The dials add some class to the interior. It would look great once the carpet job is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
We start threads to disclose any small mistake done by some garage/A.S.S/dealers here and warn others to stay away from them. I think it's high time we warn all the BHPians to stay away from this shady garage and the shameless people behind it.
Information should be shared for the benefit of all irrespective of whether the entity is a part of the forum or not. If accolades favouring members are acceptable, brick-bats should be acceptable aswell.
Old 28th October 2008, 16:50   #153
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Steer, I have never posted on this thread. But all I can say is, don't lose hope. The task of finding decent men who can carry out a good job is just around the corner. Don't give up, specially after all that you have put into this car. Emotionally and financially. I totally understand the way you feel. My baleno stands abandoned for over 8 months now (its become a home to rats now). Please don't let the same happen to the Landy. The emotional turmoil you will face once you abandon the car is a lot worse.

I more than anyone would want to see your Landy dream come true. Continue and finish off what you started with Steer. I know you ain't no quitter.
Old 28th October 2008, 17:06   #154
Team-BHP Support

Santosh, Rahul is right.
Whatever has happened, has happened. Brush it off as a bad experience. We all go through those at some point of time. Believe me, over the past 3 years, I've had quite a lot of trouble with my vehicles and personal life too. Also remember, this is an old vehicle, built by HM (the worst automobile company in the world). So expect problems. But, don't give up on the car. Take a small break if you have to and then start with a fresh mind. Everyone who's helped you out, all your friends and all those who have followed your restoration threads like myself, would love to see this car running nicely one day.
Don't lose hope. Have a very Happy Diwali.
Old 28th October 2008, 17:17   #155
Senior - BHPian

Four lakhs boss. Daylight robbery and he has the right to show it whenever he wants I presume.

Heard the Alpine HU is in town. What will the speakers be?
Old 28th October 2008, 17:19   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Also remember, this is an old vehicle, built by HM (the worst automobile company in the world).
HM wouldnt charge you 4.5 lakhs for a paint job that doesnt even last as long as the time taken to put the paint on (close to 9 months, remember?). C'mon man the money I've been charged for the job is not small change, and having to do it all over again is an unpalatable thought. I was charged up enough to get the mechanical and some cosmetic work done, but being told afterwards that the body is rusting is totally crushing.

This project is not about me. People tend to forget that this was meant to be a gift for my dad, which is why I have spared absolutely no expense. I did not realize then that this would be seen as an easy money-making opportunity by the chaps involved - I wouldnt have been bothered even if that were the case, had the job carried out been tolerable at the very least. Instead what was delivered was a piece of junk in shiny paint that doesnt seem to have lasted 3 months. I could technically still gift it to him after doing up the remaining few bits that wont take more than 3-4 days, but I cannot bring myself to hand over what would turn out to be a rusting lemon.

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th October 2008 at 17:28.
Old 28th October 2008, 17:29   #157
BHPian

i think you need to asap look into a rust/corrssion prevention/protection coat for the underbody engine bay etc.
I would suggest "Dinitrol"
Old 28th October 2008, 17:59   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
HM wouldnt charge you 4.5 lakhs for a paint job that doesnt even last as long as the time taken to put the paint on (close to 9 months, remember?
Heck! a new car from HM would cost as much i guess,

Anyways, we have some good news, Spoke to the landman now, and he guided me on how the lights were wired, JayZ just went and had a look at it and confirmed that they are indeed working, The method of operation is still quite stupid though, and i guess we could simplify it a lil bit.
Old 28th October 2008, 23:12   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Anyways, we have some good news, Spoke to the landman now, and he guided me on how the lights were wired, JayZ just went and had a look at it and confirmed that they are indeed working, The method of operation is still quite stupid though, and i guess we could simplify it a lil bit.
Yes all electricals are first wired to the Ivory switches on the switch tray and THEN to the steering mounted stalks, which is perhaps why you were confused.

I had asked for this specifically - I didnt want the original switches to be purely decorative. Will take a while getting used to, but hey it is more convenient to use (with the steering column stalks) once you switch it on.

Whats an old car without a few quirks like that?
Old 29th October 2008, 11:23   #160
Senior - BHPian

still shows the nascent indian mod job scene. I have been waiting the next drive meet for the landy that you've promised. Are we there yet??
Old 29th October 2008, 11:57   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
still shows the nascent indian mod job scene. I have been waiting the next drive meet for the landy that you've promised. Are we there yet??
Oh the car apparently runs beautifully now, without all the diesel-engine/ship-engine noises that were present before. It has been sorted out completely from a mechanical standpoint. Part of the problem was that the timing was heavily advanced (which explained the wheelspins at start in version 1), this has been set back to stock and the engine mountings completely redone. Clutch/GB housing was also redone as these elements were rubbing against the body, contributing to more noise. The car also features disk brakes, power steering (super light, according to JayD - he says its like Playstation now), the polished head from Rush(GTO)'s engine, working windshield washers (single unit with 3 nozzles), original semaphores that work as intended (and not like some dummy gimmick like it was setup before) and working switchgear.

So yes it is a runner and runs well now. The big problem now is the paint, we're debating whether to strip it now or just let it be and take up the job after a year or so. The rest of the work (carpets, a/c et al) shouldnt take more than 3-4 days and are not really critical. There's a bit of patchwork to be done at the tail lamp end where the holes made in the body to mount the Bajaj Autorickshaw tail-lamps had to be filled in, so the two rear fenders will need some bodywork.

We're probably leaving the a/c in its current position, which will be the most painless option. All it needs is some repositioning to center it correctly w.r.t the switch tray and hopefully this should be possible. Then the ICE goes in - I've got the HU, but will need the Mad Mullah around in Cochin to select Amps and Speakers and do the install.

First long trip should be to Sabarimala in mid-november - I'm going along as driver (not as a pilgrim) for my parents. Swaami Saranam!

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th October 2008 at 12:05.
Old 29th October 2008, 13:33   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The big problem now is the paint, we're debating whether to strip it now or just let it be and take up the job after a year or so. ---
There's a bit of patchwork to be done at the tail lamp end where the holes made in the body to mount the Bajaj Autorickshaw tail-lamps had to be filled in, so the two rear fenders will need some bodywork.
I suggest you wait for couple of months atleast (let this round of rains get over and one season of sun) this will give you a good idea of areas where you need to pay attention to. If possible use her regularly also.

Strip those areas and you can do the job with minimal damage on the pocket. Do a good anti rust for floor, underbody and door internals at that point of time to keep her in shape for the long run.

Please ensure that you park under good sun shine atleast occasionally during this period, so that those blisters pop up and dont leave you with a surprise the next time around. Also blisters neednt be rust alone, can be impurities in the filler layer acting up. By waiting you will also know if its minor OR a major issue.

Not supporting the old garage BUT it took me almost a year to get my ol 118 NE (it was just 2 years old then) rust free and flawless paint, this inspite of using all dupont material and under dupont direct supervision. Some cars/sheet metal are tough to get it right the first time around. Same with one replacment bonnet piece from my passion yellow zen, my painter used to run off if he sees me near the garage, it took some 10 or more painting sessions to get it right Then again i had the time and it was worthwhile looking from perfection angle.
Old 29th October 2008, 13:35   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The big problem now is the paint, we're debating whether to strip it now or just let it be and take up the job after a year or so.
Nice to hear the car is back in shape. As far as the paint is concerned I would recommend that if the rust is not on external/visible portions, then just do a touch up job for now and get it repainted after some time.
Old 29th October 2008, 14:27   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh the car apparently runs beautifully now

So yes it is a runner and runs well now. The big problem now is the paint, we're debating whether to strip it now or just let it be and take up the job after a year or so. The rest of the work (carpets, a/c et al) shouldnt take more than 3-4 days and are not really critical. There's a bit of patchwork to be done at the tail lamp end where the holes made in the body to mount the Bajaj Autorickshaw tail-lamps had to be filled in, so the two rear fenders will need some bodywork.
Don't even think of stripping it right now. The body and paint job may not have been to expectation, but it will certainly "chalao" for a while with much dignity and very presentably. You've spent enough, now go easy for a while. For starters give us photos of the areas in question. Just keep spraying oil in those nooks to arrest further growth.
Old 29th October 2008, 15:42   #165
Senior - BHPian

There is no visible rust on the body, nor is there any in the corners, what has happened is that the body has developed a kind of 'rash' in several places like the rear fender, the door pillars and frames etc. Took it to the paintshop and they told that its basically rust bubbling up dude to poor preparation of the body before painting!!! It seems the paint may not flake off or anything, but the smooth mirror finish that everyone was raving about is just skin deep!

And this is after an amount more than a tata nano was charged for body preparation. It just shows what lousy cheats these motorsmiths buggers are!!!

Nothing much to do now, since it is just in the starting phase. Strip down paint can wait for atleast a year i think.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks