Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 18:44   #166
Team-BHP Support

Could you post some nice close up shots of these areas please? And hope the rash is not a paint curing issue?
Old 29th October 2008, 19:37   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, let us not digress - pls return to the task on hand. While lessons learnt should not be forgotten, there is no point in opening closed discussions.
I couldn't understand this post. Digress from what? If someone is cheated by a garage then it is very much a part of the restoration project thread. Why should the discussion be closed?
Old 29th October 2008, 19:47   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I couldn't understand this post. Digress from what? If someone is cheated by a garage then it is very much a part of the restoration project thread. Why should the discussion be closed?
The post-mortem of the original build was discussed to death in the first thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...r-project.html

Last edited by Samurai : 29th October 2008 at 19:48.
Old 29th October 2008, 19:54   #169
BANNED

As much as we discussed and did post mortems of the garage (Motorsmiths) in the earlier thread, we also were in praises of the paintjob and body work they had done. Now, even that is evident to be a con job!
And the fact we should never forget is that if was charged close to 1.4 lacs for this shoddy work.
Old 29th October 2008, 22:50   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
There is no visible rust on the body, nor is there any in the corners, what has happened is that the body has developed a kind of 'rash' in several places like the rear fender, the door pillars and frames etc. Took it to the paintshop and they told that its basically rust bubbling up dude to poor preparation of the body before painting!!! It seems the paint may not flake off or anything, but the smooth mirror finish that everyone was raving about is just skin deep!

And this is after an amount more than a tata nano was charged for body preparation. It just shows what lousy cheats these motorsmiths buggers are!!!

Nothing much to do now, since it is just in the starting phase. Strip down paint can wait for atleast a year i think.

Those are probably the "Masala" of the metal corroding within.

If not treated over time, will result in worst condition later on. They are quite dangerous and as they say" one burning cinder is enough to burn the forest down" Its the same with metal,

Why not treat the particular area instead of full stripping. Treat those areas before it spreads elsewhere as epedemic.
Old 29th October 2008, 23:09   #171
BHPian

Keep the car running as it is don't strip her down now, run it for at least an year and let the car get accustomed to the sun , it's been in the workshop more than on the road. Nothing major is going to happen in an years time.We can strip the car down and do the paint job again in an years time and maybe even a new shade or the original shade that steer wanted. Give the car some road to burn some rubber.
Old 30th October 2008, 00:57   #172
Senior - BHPian

One more part of the ICE setup has been arranged - I'm picking up Hydra's Hertz Energy compos to go with the HU, now the Mullah of Music needs to shortlist an Amp and a Sub, which he will (inshallah) do this weekend if he gets to Cochin by then.
Old 30th October 2008, 09:05   #173
Senior - BHPian

This will probably the first Landy ever, with 3-way components
Old 30th October 2008, 09:37   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
One more part of the ICE setup has been arranged - I'm picking up Hydra's Hertz Energy compos to go with the HU, now the Mullah of Music needs to shortlist an Amp and a Sub, which he will (inshallah) do this weekend if he gets to Cochin by then.
Glad to hear that. Congrats!
Old 30th October 2008, 11:33   #175
Senior - BHPian

Well steer congrats that things are finally falling in place and sorry to hear about the paintjob.

@hydra this can become a part of Pimp my ride. Steer can we have spinners added and also 2 screens with Dvd, Ps3 and what not

Coming back to serious issues i really would love to see this being taken for a trip and this time around it should not give small hitches and the ride should be a beauty
Old 30th October 2008, 12:20   #176
BHPian

g8 going!

Good to note that all the mechanical works are over and working nicely. This is the most important aspect when working on any old car; especially when modded with much advanced methods. Hats off to that very experienced 'Ashan'!

Reg paint issues, its better to sort out the damaged areas now and make the car ready for regular use. The pre & post body preparation pics were giving some very good signals!!! Time taken by the old guys for preparation and painting is totally wrong and therefore we should expect more worse situation than this.

Alpine with Hertz combo again!!! phew!!!

cheers steer cheers...!!
Old 31st October 2008, 00:33   #177
BHPian

Where is the audio install gonna be done at ? and where are 3 ways gonna be fixed in the Landy ? is the LBM kill installed in it yet ? and finally when is the next next landy meet ?
Old 31st October 2008, 14:46   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I'm picking up Hydra's Hertz Energy compos to go with the HU, now the Mullah of Music needs to shortlist an Amp and a Sub, which he will (inshallah) do this weekend if he gets to Cochin by then.
You could get some basic amp to go with those speakers, no need for anything fancy. Something like the JBL 1004 should do just fine. I heard there are a lot of Alpine amps available also in grey in Chennai ~ 10k. Check those out too if you can.
Old 31st October 2008, 15:28   #179
BHPian

Afaik, if the paint shop did use a proper sealant from dupont instead of the duco or essde ps grey this problem wouldn have come up. Unlike the cheaper varieties dupont's sort of sits on top of all the prep work like a blanket and help avoid some common problems related to body filler, previous paints etc

This is from what little experience i have. My lancer had a coat of this before the pearl went on.
Old 31st October 2008, 16:59   #180
Senior - BHPian

The car has gone in for the AC work again,also, i've taken some pix of the paint problems in the car. The pix are of only a few of the bigger bubbles of the car, whereas, most of the problem is a fine type of rash that i mentioned earlier, but i'm not able to take a clear photo of them, Look closely and one can even spot fingerprints in the paint!!
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster Project - Part II-dscn4228.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-dscn4229.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-dscn4230.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-dscn4237.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-dscn4241.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-dscn4242.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-dscn4227.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-dscn4232.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-dscn4234.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-dscn4235.jpg  

JayD is offline   (1) Thanks