Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 13:00   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Guess the torsion bar gave way during the journey from Bangalore to Cochin, because the tilt was there when we reached Cochin.

The rear gave way too, during the journey - I remember the right rear tyres started scraping against wheel arches by the time we got past Electronics City.
aha! Very valuable info! Thankyou! This is what I wanted to know primarily before starting the job!!!!!

This means there is some serious quality issue with the torsion bars and main spring leaf of rear right side!!! These things cannot behave so without some very serious thingy! Rear right spring leaf sinked more after correcting left side stance!! We had to camber it to 8" instead of standard 6", to correct the height!!!!
Anyways.. will check it out closely!
Old 19th November 2008, 13:05   #347
BHPian

Steer/Nikki, I remember from my Amby days that the clutch pedal is usually separated and placed to the left side of the steeriig column, where are the brake and accelerator will be on the RHS... that should give some room for the pedal positioning and may be (just may be) make things easy for you, trying to get a comfortable pedal position.

I will update you today evening on the wheels cups, think it should be manageable here in Coimbatore. There was even a branded one called COX, from what I remember.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:13   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Steer/Nikki, I remember from my Amby days that the clutch pedal is usually separated and placed to the left side of the steeriig column, where are the brake and accelerator will be on the RHS... that should give some room for the pedal positioning and may be (just may be) make things easy for you, trying to get a comfortable pedal position.

I will update you today evening on the wheels cups, think it should be manageable here in Coimbatore. There was even a branded one called COX, from what I remember.
Sree... in old ambys, the pedals where "poping out" type from the floor and so thier height from the floor is somewhat manageable. But here the pedals are suspended type and both the brake and clutch pedals are mounted on a bracket. So in brief, this bracket has to be repositioned correctly to an easy operating height. Heel has to touch ground and shin area has to actuate the clutch! All this, in a comfortable seating posture!!! This is where the catch is!!!

YES YES.. 'COX' it is! This item was plenty available here till the 'Matador engine swap era'!! Go get it! It will look good for sure!
Old 19th November 2008, 18:28   #349
Senior - BHPian

I believe this is the hubcap that we want??
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster Project - Part II-191120081946.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-191120081945.jpg  

Old 19th November 2008, 20:08   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I believe this is the hubcap that we want??
ESCATLY!

I see the pic was taken in CBE. Get a few of those when you come down next.
Old 20th November 2008, 00:15   #351
BANNED

Quote:
This means there is some serious quality issue with the torsion bars and main spring leaf of rear right side!!! These things cannot behave so without some very serious thingy! Rear right spring leaf sinked more after correcting left side stance!! We had to camber it to 8" instead of standard 6", to correct the height!!!!
Anyways.. will check it out closely!
Can you describe the procedure? Taking out the leaf set and hammering them to correct the "curve"? If so, I suggest "hammering" our all the four sides; and the guys would know if the tensile strength of the leaf is gone while hammering it. Were there any such comments?
Old 20th November 2008, 01:38   #352
BHPian

great going guys.This is Team spirit.
Old 20th November 2008, 10:24   #353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
1. Rudra doesnt use power steering.
Correct. I'll fit one in January and it'll be a new one from HM.
Quote:
2. Rudra has a Gypsy steering column, if I'm not mistaken.
No, I have regular Amby column. This change is also part of January project.
Quote:
3. Rudra uses some other steering wheel which is of normal size.
I have the same steering wheel as in a new Amby.
Quote:
4. Rudra's seats are positioned properly.
Don't think so but they're ok in terms of comfort.
Quote:
5. I think (and I may be wrong) Rudra's car has the conventional floor-mounted pedals.
My pedals are suspended. Got it done 12 years ago during my first engine change.
Quote:
9. My seats are not positioned properly - the seats have to be positioned more towards the left, as they are slightly tilted AWAY from the steering on the right side at the moment.
This can be corrected easily. But do it after steering column change. Sitting position can be accurate.
Quote:
10.I have suspended pedals which were so badly positioned (and twisted out of shape) that they had to be worked on at least 4 times after we took delivery of the car. When we drove the car down from Bangalore I got cramps on my legs as I had to life my knee nearly to shoulder height every time I used the pedals.
This also should be corrected after steering column change.
Old 20th November 2008, 11:20   #354
Senior - BHPian

Steer, Nikki,

based on Rudra-da's response, his car can be a good reference point for the pedals / steering column ?

cheers!
Srini
Old 20th November 2008, 12:10   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Can you describe the procedure? Taking out the leaf set and hammering them to correct the "curve"? If so, I suggest "hammering" our all the four sides; and the guys would know if the tensile strength of the leaf is gone while hammering it. Were there any such comments?
hmm.... very confusing!!
What is the relevance of Tensile strength of leaf springs here?! Spring steels are manufactured in cold rolled process with high carbon contents to get high yield strength!!! AFAIK, the leaf springs(used in automobiles) has 'high yield strength' and that is the factor that counts. It looses its elastic property only when heated to a certain extent and cooled slowly in air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
My pedals are suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Steer, Nikki,
based on Rudra-da's response, his car can be a good reference point for the pedals / steering column ?
cheers!
Srini
SNAPS PLEASE RUDRA SIR!! That will help us to a very large extent!
Old 20th November 2008, 12:13   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
SNAPS PLEASE RUDRA SIR!! That will help us to a very large extent!
Try to post it by this evening.
Old 21st November 2008, 10:44   #357
BHPian

We have checked the possibilities of pedal repositioning yesterday.
Well... the pedals are suspended from a bracket which is die punched and so have decided not to disturb that area. It won't be a wise idea to work on so solid deisgn.
Instead we have planned to do some simple alterations on the pedal to make it comfortable to use.

Anyways... waiting for snaps from Rudra Sir.
Sir, a snap that shows pedals and its positioning with respect to steering column + another one showing you sitting in the driver seat with left hand on steering wheel and left leg on the clutch (view looking from outside to driver, when the door is wide open) - will do!

cheers!
Old 21st November 2008, 21:03   #358
Joz
BHPian

Finally some much needed progress on a lovely car. Good stuff Nikki.

Waiting to see the car when I get there in December.
Old 22nd November 2008, 11:06   #359
BHPian

Herez the snaps of pedal bracket. This is a very soild one and thatz the reason why we chose to leave that part as it is..! Will work on lower part of pedals to make it more convenient to use!
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster Project - Part II-landy-012a.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-landy-014a.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2008, 11:09   #360
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the brake booster suspended on the other side of this clamp?? IIRC, this was the 'see saw' clamp which we got from bangalore, it was changed in cochin, during the first round of repairs!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks