Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 19:43   #391
Senior - BHPian

Steer, great write-up & nice to hear that the old lady's coming along well!
Old 13th December 2008, 08:36   #392
BHPian

Thanks All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Thank you, Nikki for all you're doing. This guy takes time off from work to spend an hour with the old lady every day, fabicates stuff in his factory (eg. the steering linkage extension!) when modifications are required and has unbelievable reserves of patience to be able to sit down and figure out what exactly is wrong. I would never have been able to do a fraction of what he is.

What we must appreciate is that the work these guys are doing on the Land is not simple mechanical work - they actually have to undo the 'work' done at Motorsmiths first (all of which is turning out to be shoddy, temporary fixes that wont last) and then redo everything all over again.
MY PLEASURE SAAAR... and thanks for the supports!
I neverever expected or dreamt that this car will come to me oneday! Well... now am happy that the works being done on the car is litterally brushing up my trouble shooting knowledge on old cars. Spending time on this car is very essential and I enjoy doing that especially with Mr.Chellappan, being a very talented and top quality mechanic!

That exhaust packing thingy is sorted out now and we have FINE tuned the engine y'day! Its butter smooth now! Btw, the 'exhaust packing' - a copper ring, is a rare stuff in the market and we roamed around a lot to find out one set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
Congrats Steer! Now I think I can say, 'You Did It' !cheers:
Nikki, this is for you -
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Good one steer and nikki great job. Some pictures now would have added glory to this
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Good to read about the Landy doing well, congrats Steer.
138 kmph sure is good, that too with some left to go, I have done about 120 kmph max in my Amby, ran out of road after that. I think carb cars can be fine tuned but MPFI's, like mine have very little scope.
Please try and post some pic's of the Landy now.
hmm... we are planning put contys wheels instead of the present 15" gypsy' set on the car! This car will fly then! he heee...!
Pictures will be posted after few works!

Presently we are spending some time on the turning radius issue of the car. The car is with OHC power steering set and is having a very high turning radius which makes it difficult to take U turns easily!. We are exploring the possibilities on modifying the current set suitably!

Rest of the updates - later!
Old 13th December 2008, 09:49   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
The car is with OHC power steering set and is having a very high turning radius which makes it difficult to take U turns easily!. We are exploring the possibilities on modifying the current set suitably!
Let me know if its a defect with that box - we had originally put in a Ford box, which was replaced.

The box comes with a one-year gentleman's warranty from Trichur Pattalam for any defects, so if the issue with the box is a defect and not a fitment issue on the Landy the old man from Shornur will be able to get it swapped for us. The scrapdealers of Trichur seem to have more scruples than the garage in Bangalore.
Old 13th December 2008, 10:36   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Let me know if its a defect with that box - we had originally put in a Ford box, which was replaced.

The box comes with a one-year gentleman's warranty from Trichur Pattalam for any defects, so if the issue with the box is a defect and not a fitment issue on the Landy the old man from Shornur will be able to get it swapped for us. The scrapdealers of Trichur seem to have more scruples than the garage in Bangalore.
from the looks of it.. nope.. its not the defect of steering box! During initial inspection we found some wrong settings and corrected it which improved the sitaution a bit. But U turns are still tough! There is something wrong somewhere and we are trying to figure out the exact cause.
Will let you know our findings and will proceed with the swap accordingly, if required!.
Old 13th December 2008, 11:59   #395
BHPian

Quote:
MY PLEASURE SAAAR... and thanks for the supports!
I neverever expected or dreamt that this car will come to me oneday! Well... now am happy that the works being done on the car is litterally brushing up my trouble shooting knowledge on old cars. Spending time on this car is very essential and I enjoy doing that especially with Mr.Chellappan, being a very talented and top quality mechanic!

That exhaust packing thingy is sorted out now and we have FINE tuned the engine y'day! Its butter smooth now! Btw, the 'exhaust packing' - a copper ring, is a rare stuff in the market and we roamed around a lot to find out one set!

Thanks guys!

hmm... we are planning put contys wheels instead of the present 15" gypsy' set on the car! This car will fly then! he heee...!
Pictures will be posted after few works!

Presently we are spending some time on the turning radius issue of the car. The car is with OHC power steering set and is having a very high turning radius which makes it difficult to take U turns easily!. We are exploring the possibilities on modifying the current set suitably!

Rest of the updates - later!

I think you should stick with the current set of wheels they look very very good, Conti wheels on the Landy, I don't think is a good idea, don't you think conti wheels were smaller?
Old 13th December 2008, 12:07   #396
BHPian

Quote:
I think you should stick with the current set of wheels they look very very good, Conti wheels on the Landy, I don't think is a good idea, don't you think conti wheels were smaller?
Well.. infact the looks with the present set of wheels(15" having high profile) gives a very tall stance! Also, as the engine+tranny+FD in this car is of Conty, the output ratio is a bit wierd now! The torque completely looses of when in OD, resulting rapid gear changes to maintain the momentum! Overall.. the gearing feels very tall! Hence the decision!
and.. the conty wheels will compliment the (13") will only make it GORGEOUS!!

Last edited by nikkibike : 13th December 2008 at 12:23.
Old 13th December 2008, 12:35   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Well.. infact the looks with the present set of wheels(15" having high profile) gives a very tall stance! Also, as the engine+tranny+FD in this car is of Conty, the output ratio is a bit wierd now! The torque completely looses of when in OD, resulting rapid gear changes to maintain the momentum! Overall.. the gearing feels very tall! Hence the decision!
and.. the conty wheels will compliment the (13") will only make it GORGEOUS!!
The Amby wheel's to the best of my knowledge is 15 inch's, insn't the conti smaller?, why don't you go for the HM alloys that they give with some of their models, like my Avigo has them.
Old 15th December 2008, 13:45   #398
BHPian

Look at Rudra's Amby with the conti wheels .. Nice..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ar-review.html
Old 15th December 2008, 13:56   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. The Land looks too tall now after correcting the suspension. It looked good earlier because the suspension was all shot to bits.

2. 5th gear is only good for 100-110 kmph plus - put her into 5th before that and the engine starts knocking. This is nice in a way because you're only getting into your top gear while most other smaller cars and UVs are nearing the end of their rev bands, but it effectively makes this car a 4-speeder for most of the time. Right now my favourite gear is #2 - I use 3 sometimes in city and 4 only if I'm out on the highway, and 5 when I'm on the 4-lane highways.

Probably explains the mileage I'm getting out of this car.

My only worry with smaller wheels is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Constant speedometer error (compared with my other slightly more modern car) of 10km.
This is due to 13inch wheel and speedometer designed for 15inch. Small wheels allow me to feel all the small ups and downs on the road. Seldom I get a chance to visit a massage parlour, so I’ve decided to live with it.
Doesnt sound too good for my already patched up back!

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th December 2008 at 14:07.
Old 15th December 2008, 14:25   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Doesnt sound too good for my already patched up back!
Hey, I'm back on 15 inchers. That was a knee jerk action supported by Sanjay Agarwal.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:37   #401
BHPian

In my opinion turn the Torsion bar two notches lower and remove some leaf springs (but don't go lower than 7 Leafs) with More drives coming up and us Bhpians known to be heavy weights,it wouldn't be good for the old guy.
Old 16th December 2008, 13:32   #402
BHPian

Wanna think about FRP spring ??
Old 20th December 2008, 17:43   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Some pictures now would have added glory to this
Quote:
Please try and post some pic's of the Landy now.
A bit late, I know - but there havent been any changes to the exterior except the chrome beadings on the side and the original semaphores (which work beautifully, BTW) so I didnt have the urge to post. We'll post detailed pics after the paintwork is done.

The car is a bit dirty and dusty - was basically driven out straight from the garage.

Landmaster Project - Part II-canaland.jpg

Landmaster Project - Part II-tree-land.jpg

Landmaster Project - Part II-coco-land.jpg
Old 20th December 2008, 17:48   #404
Team-BHP Support

Steeroid, the rims and tyres look a bit awkward on the car. Looks over tyred. What's the tyre size your using?
Old 20th December 2008, 17:52   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Steeroid, the rims and tyres look a bit awkward on the car. Looks over tyred. What's the tyre size your using?
205/60/R15 Apollo Accelere put on the car by MS despite specific instructions not to take the tyres offered by the resident 2nd hand dealer there.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed