Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2008, 17:55   #406
Team-BHP Support

I think the rims are from the gypsy and have a larger offset as well. 205/60-15 is overkill for the car. You must be struggling without power steering.

Rudra uses 195/70-15 BF Goodrich on old BMW steel rims. They are a pefect fit and the wheels are neatly inside the body line.
Old 20th December 2008, 18:00   #407
Senior - BHPian

Too bad we don't get period looking whitewall radials here. Would've looked perfect on this car. Steer, how about sending a set over from dxb?
Old 20th December 2008, 18:01   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
205/60-15 is overkill for the car. You must be struggling without power steering.
The car has power steering which is over-servoed - it feels TOO bloody light.

I didnt have a problem with it when it was manual either - my dad did, though. In fact I wanted to revert to manual after the logitec-like feel of the current steering box.
Old 20th December 2008, 18:06   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Too bad we don't get period looking whitewall radials here. Would've looked perfect on this car. Steer, how about sending a set over from dxb?
Kumho used to make a range of radials with the thin strip white wall. A friend uses them on his DeSoto, plus Ive seen some on a couple of Swifts. I belive they are available locally.
Old 20th December 2008, 18:38   #410
Senior - BHPian

Either Kumho or Maxxis are your only options for whitewalls.
Old 20th December 2008, 21:11   #411
BHPian

MRF still makes Crossply white wall tyres which they sell through some select dealers. Recently I bought a set from their New Delhi dealer , BK Tyres. Their telephone number is +91 9810430202, contact person Mr.Atul Kapoor.
S.B.Jatti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Old 21st December 2008, 20:53   #412
BHPian

MRF white wall tyres 15 size are avbl in chennai. I did check with the main MRF dealer B M LAL. Stock of few tyres still with him. if any one requires i can advs the contact numbers.

cheers

Pradeep
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:00   #413
BHPian

Hey , come to think of it. Why dont we get an alloy for the gypsy pcd with a better offset so that the tyres sit well inside the car and we can then lower it a bit.

Vijay
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:34   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Hey , come to think of it. Why dont we get an alloy for the gypsy pcd with a better offset so that the tyres sit well inside the car and we can then lower it a bit.

Vijay
Can be done, but you will have to ensure that the wheel does not touch anything at full lock in either direction.
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:07   #415
BHPian

With the current state of the power steering , the wheel will clear everything ..
Old 17th January 2009, 23:26   #416
BHPian

Finally got to see some power steering Amby's connecting arm and measured the length of it's arm, the Normal Arm is 24cm long the powersteering version's arm is 19cm long , just replace it and the problem with the low turning radius is over , I had cut this arm and welded in my car (a very dangerous idea,if the welding brakes off it's ma'salaam habeebee) still it's almost 21cm long so i am also suffering from low turning radius will post pics of the arm that i am talking about. and good thing is it's avialable off the rack at coimbatore for around 900 bucks for a pair, only thing to figure out is weather it's compatibile with the Landy
Old 19th January 2009, 20:55   #417
BHPian

Here are couple of pics I snapped of an amby doing various periodic service at my usual workshop, it has a gear linkage to reduce the throws and also the powersteering.

Landmaster Project - Part II-connecting-arm.jpg

Landmaster Project - Part II-connecting-arm1.jpg

Landmaster Project - Part II-gear-linkage.jpg

Landmaster Project - Part II-gear-linkages.jpg

Possible mods for the Landy ? Chikku saar where are u ?
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:50   #418
BHPian

Wow!!

OOPPS... lots of happenings here... i was too busy at office for the last few weeks.

Dude Muneem.. thatz an awsome find and info.... i have already done something of this sort on landy's third arm and was waiting to get the steering column mounting over to take a test drive.. however I was not totally happy bout the quality of work done on that piece as cutting and welding a forged steel component is not a good idea technically! So thought of taking a test drive with the modified compenent and then go for a fresh forging and machining job later, if it is succussfull!

Bad and hectic issues at office kept me off from the car for few days. Today I went and thinking of finishing the steering mounting work by tomorrow. Anyways.. trying to locate the master of oldies to get a pair of third arm from coimby! JaaaaaaaayDDDD.... where are youuuu??! His cell if off now!!
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:15   #419
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
JaaaaaaaayDDDD.... where are youuuu??! His cell if off now!!
He is too busy helping out FiAT by bashing up Muneem!

So, the car is still in the process of undoing all damages?
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:27   #420
BHPian

I think it "will be " in the process for a long while now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks