Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2008, 07:51   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Steer, you sound a lot more confident and hopeful this time around. Wishing you the best - This time, want it work out just the way you want it.
Old 2nd August 2008, 08:52   #32
BHPian

Dear Steer,
I have been following this tread and trust me,you have given me the inspiration to start with my Ambi Mark 4 restoration work. Its my dads first car and was bought in 1980. I have given my car to an roadside "ashaan" who only does work on Ambi. He is an aged person and know his job well. Like you found out the hard way, these oldies and road side garages are the best bet. my car will be ready my next week hopefully, i am making it like how i got it from the showroom in 1980, with the smoke Grey color. there was a problem with the 3rd gear and the counter gear. now its sorted out. i was lucky to get most of the parts including a new 3 spoke steering wheel with the horn assembly from dhanam automobiles,Coimbatore. they seem to have every thing
i got my decals, the mark 4 grill from there as well.
I appreciate your patience in spite of all the headaches you had, i am sure your land master is in the hands of the right man to set it right and happy motoring ever after.

PS- I d love to post the pics of the restoration work of my Mark 4 , I have some restrictions now as i am a newbie here. May i can post pics sooner.

Best wishes,
Messiah,Manjeri.
Old 2nd August 2008, 11:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Disc Brakes can be ordered 2nd hand to be completely machined and ready for fitting condition in just 2 days from ordering at Thrissur will give the number if you require it.
Send me the number by PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Who has the formula for the paint ? if something goes wrong (worst case scenario) and we need a touch up job who has the paint mixing combination ?
I have it. We got it on paper but took a digital photograph of the same just in case we lost the piece of paper...and we lost the paper
Old 2nd August 2008, 11:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Steer,

All the best 2nd time round. Hopefully this time you will get the car that you actually want.

Am hooked to this thread.
Old 2nd August 2008, 13:01   #35
BHPian

@ Steeroid - the paper with the paint formula is in my wallet. i had kept it there for safe keeping! so do let me know if needed
Old 2nd August 2008, 20:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A S H V I N View Post
@ Steeroid - the paper with the paint formula is in my wallet. i had kept it there for safe keeping! so do let me know if needed
Just to be very very sure, I thought I'd put it up here:

Landmaster Project - Part II-san_0783.jpg

Before I forget - here is the picture of the sidevalve engine awaiting the 2nd Land's body (excuse quality - its a Blackberry picture)
Landmaster Project - Part II-img00086.jpg

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd August 2008 at 20:53.
Old 11th August 2008, 13:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Got an update from Richard Kathy of the Morris Cowley & Oxford Club and he has located the following:
1. The original ivory steering wheel with horn ring (Morris badged, not HM, but I'll live with it) and centre piece.

2. Aluminium meter console, switch & keyhole plate and ivory pull-switches.

3. Trafficators (I am running fake plastic trafficators right now - the originals were lost as part of the first 'restoration' effort)

4. Crank-hole cap/cover (the base is on my fender, but the lid itself was lost)

5. Original Interior Lamp.

6. Original Tail lamp assembly
Should be getting them shipped to DXB soon and I will carry them when I go home in early September (by when work would've started).

Hopefully things will actually happen this time around, and will happen faster. AND at a substantially lower cost - my Landmaster was heading towards the DC Ambyroid price levels with my previous garage.
Old 11th August 2008, 22:48   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Got an update from Richard Kathy of the Morris Cowley & Oxford Club and he has located the following:
1. The original ivory steering wheel with horn ring (Morris badged, not HM, but I'll live with it) and centre piece.

2. Aluminium meter console, switch & keyhole plate and ivory pull-switches.

3. Trafficators (I am running fake plastic trafficators right now - the originals were lost as part of the first 'restoration' effort)

4. Crank-hole cap/cover (the base is on my fender, but the lid itself was lost)

5. Original Interior Lamp.

6. Original Tail lamp assembly
Should be getting them shipped to DXB soon and I will carry them when I go home in early September (by when work would've started).

Hopefully things will actually happen this time around, and will happen faster. AND at a substantially lower cost - my Landmaster was heading towards the DC Ambyroid price levels with my previous garage.
Nice to read that. Hope your Landmaster will move on the path of recovery. I wish I would have known about your car's fate earlier.
Old 19th August 2008, 23:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Update: The car is back in the garage, work will start on the day after. Some of the original parts will arrive in DXB on the 29th of August and will reach India by the 11th of Sept, by when the rest of the mechanical work should be over. Inshallah.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:10   #40
BHPian

May the force be with you this time.
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE:

Powersteering - Bought, rack undergoing modification at the lathe.

Steering column - replaced with Amby Nova collapsible column, mounted straight and not tilted to RHS like all good Ambys.

Disc Brakes - Bought, suspension/steering arms being modified to fit the discs.

Engine-GB-Differential Alignment - This one is a toughie according to the old man as the mounts are all messed up, both at the engine bay and at the rear axle. Redoing everything now.

Engine bay - required some changes to accomodate the ISZ engine properly, completed.

Engine - Used to make noise like a diesel, now smokes like a diesel too (thick black smoke) so its being opened up. We wont bother repairing this one, if it has serious issues we will dump it and buy another engine as Rudra suggests.

Differential - needs to be opened up and worked on, has been opened up.

Chrome/Brass work - in progress, will take time. Quite a lot of time.

Steering Wheel, Dashboard, Tail lamps etc - Sourced from the UK, currently in transit to Dubai .

Window winders - all have their teeth worn out, new levers/gears to be fitted.

Its almost like a complete overhaul!

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd September 2008 at 15:36.
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:43   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
UPDATE:

Its almost like a complete overhaul!
What was the car's stint in Bangalore all about?
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

So you were sold a lemon of an Ex-CM engine & it was badly mounted too??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That's a very good question. And the answer is learning an expensive lesson I suppose.
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:48   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Engine-GB-Differential Alignment - This one is a toughie according to the old man as the mounts are all messed up, both at the engine bay and at the rear axle. Redoing everything now.
I'm sure your old man knows but no harm reminding him once again:

Connecting joint of two prop shafts often makes thud sound under heavy load. This generally happens due to alignment problem.
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:49   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
From the earlier thread, the cars Bangalore stint was a real stink

Now it looks some real work is going on with the car.

Lets hope for the Best
Closed Thread

Most Viewed