Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 03:56   #496
BHPian

As long as the good old "aashans" are still around the Landy will keep on running , many people don't know what is under the thin paint on most taxis running around in Cochin and neighboring towns, it's going to take a little more time, but it's going to come out well, it's just body parts after all and there's nothing that cannot be made from a sheet of metal.

Hope and patience that's all that we'll need.
Old 25th March 2009, 17:18   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Steer, I can imagine the frustration, but can't you just hold on for this last mile, maybe this is the last of the issues? Please do not abandon - Not yet. Think of the efforts and money that has gone into this car.
With the amount that he was charged for the work on the car, (before all the correction had begun) and for what he got in return, he couldn't avoid thinking about atleast the money 'gone'!
Poor steer, I really feel sorry for you, mate! If I think I've had a few lemons pass through my hands that burned my money, reading about what you've had to go through makes me feel like the luckiest person alive!

Anyway, as the others say, be a little more hopeful and hang onto the last bit of straw. I'm sure with our tbhpian friends out to help, there will be some worthy solution to this!
Old 26th March 2009, 10:04   #498

Just saw this thread, I'm an NRI from Bangalore and have 2 landmasters. I absolutely love this city and hate the bad rep it seems to be getting. My condolences Steer but such types are all over the place. I would stake my painter & tinker to be easily amongst the best in this country, though a little pricey considering his hush-hush work on some exotics, but hey even he would cost half of what you've shelled out. I've posted my car on another thread here and also do see my ad in the classifieds.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:28   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaznad View Post
I absolutely love this city and hate the bad rep it seems to be getting. My condolences Steer but such types are all over the place.
Not this type - they're one of a kind. The most dangerous type too - they were (thank god for the past tense there) a TASS and are currently an MASS and a Bosch Multi-brand Service Centre. God help the poor souls who set foot there - if this is what they do to their 'friends' (again past tense, unfortunately too late) one can only imagine the treatment regular customers get there.

Here is a sample of the 4.something lakh 'destoration' that was delivered to me about 8 months ago - notice the sheen on the paint before its scraped off to reveal the dirty truth, the HOLE truth:

Landmaster Project - Part II-23032009222-medium.jpg

Landmaster Project - Part II-23032009223-medium.jpg

Landmaster Project - Part II-23032009224-medium.jpg

Landmaster Project - Part II-23032009225-medium.jpg
Old 26th March 2009, 14:37   #500
Senior - BHPian

OMG!

@ Steer - i am sure you will find a better shell to work on the affected areas - keeping our fingers crossed. wish you all the best.
Old 26th March 2009, 14:38   #501
rippergeo

Wow! there's a whole different car hidden under that paint job!

Old 26th March 2009, 15:04   #502
Senior - BHPian

DANG!

Swell job they've pulled on you Steer! To think they have walked away from all this footloose and fancy free really catches my gall!
Old 26th March 2009, 15:25   #503
Senior - BHPian

steeroid,
really unfortunate.
by the way I understand that ambassador body panels are available(nos).this comes with precoated premier and can be modified to use for your landmaster.
recently a super select was restored using prefabricated padmini panels.
give it a try
Old 26th March 2009, 16:00   #504
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post

Wow! there's a whole different car hidden under that paint job!

Better put it this way.

Wow! there's a HOLE diferent car hidden under the shoddy paint job

Anyways, its reached the best place now, Wishing the Landy a quick recovery.

How long it'll be on road Steer? i presume another 6 months for a thorough re-restoration.
Old 26th March 2009, 16:18   #505
Senior - BHPian

Finally, we have some good news. Just visited the garage, and got a report on he condition of the car. he rust is not as bad as the first signs showed. The corrosion is only in some places like the sides of the roof, front fender, rear fender, and some other places. But the whole body is covered by a fine rust, which is about to create corrosion, but thankfully, has not done so far. They said, its possible to repair the current shell itself. So no new shell needed!

The entire paint will be burnt away in the coming days, and only then can we get a complete picture. also, checking the internal parts, and hidden areas is remaining.
Old 26th March 2009, 16:32   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
notice the sheen on the paint before its scraped off to reveal the dirty truth, the HOLE truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The corrosion is only in some places...
The entire paint will be burnt away...
@ Steeroid: Seems you've Landy-ed yourself what I know to be a "Bombay putty" repair job!
@ JayD: Burn away the paint? Not scrape away till bare metal? I wonder if you have an industrial sandblasting unit nearby - the result is far superior to anything else for stripping away the old paint. Maybe your local yellow pages may find you someone. Just a suggestion.

PS: Painting Contractors in Ernakulam, Kochi, Cochin, Kerala, India Yellow pages - Display page (1) - , City Painting Workers, Colour Consultants & Contractors, COLOURZONE, Jaya Paints, Joyance, Marine Coatings, Prabha Inc, Raj Constructions, Saress Inc.
- don't know if this page is of any help.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 26th March 2009 at 16:36.
Old 26th March 2009, 16:44   #507
BANNED

The list mentions the place where the car is now being worked upon.

I don't want to say anything about the destoration job. Pathetic!
Old 26th March 2009, 16:49   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Better put it this way.

Wow! there's a HOLE diferent car hidden under the shoddy paint job
So true! It is indeed a good thing you decided to get the re-painting done immediately, Steer! Or things would have probably been worse. Hopefully, there will not be any more unpleasant surprises left in the car.
Old 26th March 2009, 17:15   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
So true! It is indeed a good thing you decided to get the re-painting done immediately, Steer! Or things would have probably been worse. Hopefully, there will not be any more unpleasant surprises left in the car.
+ 1 to that. However I am pretty sure that there will not be any more issues because mostly every other issue has been looked into and sorted out by the team.

Steer, judging by the quality of workmanship that had gone into JayD's car I am sure your Landmaster will come out in flying colors. Heres wishing you the best for that.

JayD, well, are you sure that flaming the paint, off the metal is an ok way to go? For, there are those commercial paint removers which do the job pretty well too. Sand/media blasting, in case possible to be done, seems a good option too?
Old 26th March 2009, 20:11   #510
BHPian

Saw the car today, the rust formation is there all over the body where ever it was scrapped off, but now I am wondering what kind of job they might have done on the double metal layered areas like the dicky and door pillars and all where there might be high rust formations. The current paste and putty work can either be burned off using a blowtorch or can be cutted off using an electrical grinder ,don't know if those guys do sand blasting.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks