Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2008, 02:29   #301
Senior - BHPian

I would say, get at least 2 solid referrals before you hand over to any new garage.
Old 8th November 2008, 08:33   #302
BHPian

I would suggest steer that, you get hold of a talented painter and fix up a labor rate for the total job and then you buy all the materials required yourself. This will ensure there is no compromise on the materials used, and you can use the best of stuff. If buying stuff yourself, care should be taken, so that material is not misused.

To fix up a labor rate for the work, its very necessary that scope of work be explained to him in detail. ie what all prep work needs to be done and how many coats of paint goes on the vehicle.

Best of luck for the restoration. .
Old 8th November 2008, 19:46   #303
BHPian

My tuppence - don't even think of the labour + your material option. Impossible to manage remotely.

My vote will be for colour world type place.
Old 8th November 2008, 19:56   #304
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest only a touch up job for the moment. The paint job is bad but not bad enough to give it a completely new paint job. I would suggest to keep this paint for another year and in the meanwhile look out for a good paintshop or a garage.

Since you are getting the mechanicals sorted out now, the paint job may not be that important now since the monsoons are over. And if not anything else, Motorsmiths could atleast get a new paint job done for free.
Old 8th November 2008, 23:40   #305
Senior - BHPian

We had a small meet of sorts today, Zak,Nikkibike,JayZ, Aha, and i were driving around in the landy! The work regarding the paint and stuff has more or less been finalized, the car will go tomorrow for some more expert guidance regarding sorting out some mechanical problems, and hopefully, the body/chassis flex.
Meanwhile some pix from today.

Landy goes to meet a dukkar!!
Landmaster Project - Part II-081120081882.jpg

Zak Givin Aha the semaphore treatment!
Landmaster Project - Part II-081120081885.jpg

The Next generation of BHP-ians trying out the landy!!

Landmaster Project - Part II-081120081886.jpg

Landmaster Project - Part II-081120081887.jpg

Landmaster Project - Part II-081120081888.jpg
Old 9th November 2008, 05:55   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The Next generation of BHP-ians trying out the landy!!
Thanks JayD. This is a welcome change from the Dark hue that this thread has taken lately.. The landy does look like it could use a wash. Hope she comes out strongly from the initial fiasco, not only mechanically, but aesthetically also. All the best Steeroid.
Old 9th November 2008, 16:20   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

All the best for this round of restoration. We will all be more aware and we are all now wiser and more alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Landy goes to meet a dukkar!!
Attachment 67946
May I ask for more pics of this?
Old 9th November 2008, 17:09   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
May I ask for more pics of this?
Here u go Karl!

If my info is correct, this is a single owner car.
The car lacks some bits like the bumpers and the indicators etc. The interior is more or less original! I feel it can be brought back to originality.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster Project - Part II-280520081102.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-280520081103.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-280520081104.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th November 2008 at 00:49. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:44   #309
Senior - BHPian

nikki/Jay/Zak/Ashvin

Can one of you update on today's visit to the local expert to get an opinion on body flex?
Old 10th November 2008, 08:50   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
nikki/Jay/Zak/Ashvin
Can one of you update on today's visit to the local expert to get an opinion on body flex?
Sorry for the late post steer. I just couldn't sit aside yesterday!

Well.. I took the car to one of the expert old mech and had a very long and detailed chat reg the works done(to the extent I know) on the car and current issues.
He inspected the car thoroughly and his views and findings are as below.
(1) Body doesn't show any 'major' flex, as all the refferance points are matching properly OR are within the limits considering its age.
(2) The left side stance of the car can be corrected after working on the torsion bar and centre cross member settings.
But before working on this, we need to know whether Motorsmiths OR Shornur Ashan has done/attempted to alter the settings suitably to avoid troubles like side pulling/improper tyre wear etc etc..
(3) Ignition timing was t o t a l l y out of order resulting highly erratic idling. Infact there was NO mark on the pully to correct the timing. We had to find TDC and put a mark on the pully first. Then we did tried a bit to correct it only to find a wrongly set carburator, its lines for vaccum and tappet clearances. These are the causes for excessive noise from engine.

So let us know about the settings part before proceeding further.
Today I'll be taking the car again to show it to another 'tiger' of oldies. (An old age mech known to me - a person with high quality sense).
Lets have this 'second' opinion also before working on the flex part!

Over to you Steer!cheers:
Old 10th November 2008, 09:57   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
Sorry for the late post steer. I just couldn't sit aside yesterday!

Well.. I took the car to one of the expert old mech and had a very long and detailed chat reg the works done(to the extent I know) on the car and current issues.
He inspected the car thoroughly and his views and findings are as below.
(1) Body doesn't show any 'major' flex, as all the refferance points are matching properly OR are within the limits considering its age.
(2) The left side stance of the car can be corrected after working on the torsion bar and centre cross member settings.
But before working on this, we need to know whether Motorsmiths OR Shornur Ashan has done/attempted to alter the settings suitably to avoid troubles like side pulling/improper tyre wear etc etc..
(3) Ignition timing was t o t a l l y out of order resulting highly erratic idling. Infact there was NO mark on the pully to correct the timing. We had to find TDC and put a mark on the pully first. Then we did tried a bit to correct it only to find a wrongly set carburator, its lines for vaccum and tappet clearances. These are the causes for excessive noise from engine.

So let us know about the settings part before proceeding further.
Today I'll be taking the car again to show it to another 'tiger' of oldies. (An old age mech known to me - a person with high quality sense).
Lets have this 'second' opinion also before working on the flex part!

Over to you Steer!cheers:
Missed out something.
While we were trying to set the timing right, happened to see oil leakage(big one... can see a pool of oil in the bottom outer rib of engine block) from the front end of head cover. Seems like we can fix this when working on tappet clearance and stuffs!
There is a minor exhaust pipe leakage also somewhere. Need to be located properly.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:27   #312
BHPian

Guys a word of caution. No tiger will ever agree on mech work done by another. Would suggest that we stick with the shoranur ashaan as he will be the long term caregiver for the car.
Old 10th November 2008, 13:25   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Guys a word of caution. No tiger will ever agree on mech work done by another. Would suggest that we stick with the shoranur ashaan as he will be the long term caregiver for the car.
Correct! That is the best as far as the long term aspect is concerned!

But the present works are of minor types and so I can manage to get done by one of these tigers! Final decision is up to Steer/Zak.
cheers:
Old 11th November 2008, 00:09   #314
Senior - BHPian

I just came to know about this thread today, havent been reading in these parts of the forum. All i can say is Steer....WOW. You are a very patient man.

I can understand from a shops view that there can be odd cases here and there with regards to lack of quality, but after seeing the pics even i was left dumbstruck. The shop is at fault and thats that. They have cut huge corners at the job. How can one sleep at night by charging someone an arm and a leg and then deliver this? If the shop owner / incharge is aware of the present situation the least they can do is give you a call and tell you to send the car back and re-do it the way it should be. Im sure you dont want to send it back there, but the call from the workshop is definitely deserved.

PS: I wish you were closer to Delhi, would have loved to help you out with the car.
Old 11th November 2008, 00:55   #315
BANNED

The car was taken to one of the trusted mechanics (ala Tiger) by Nikkibike today also. He was very much interested and eager to work out all the small niggling issues in the car. He will also work on the torsion bars and alignment etc..
The radiator fan is broken somehow (one fin). It will have to be replaced too.
The oil spilling issue as pointed out earlier by Nikki is a concern and we're praying hard it ain't something major.

As soon as all the above work is done, the car will go in for painting. It will be done by Paul, the same master who is currently busy with JayD's Landmaster.

After the car came out from Motorsmiths with the hefty bill sorted out, each and every job done on the car seems to be repeated now. What was that 4.5+ lacs bill for?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks