Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2008, 18:14   #331
Senior - BHPian

this might be a bit off topic, but i noticed that the car is shod with apollo acellere sportz. any particular reason for using them?
Old 18th November 2008, 18:15   #332
Senior - BHPian

Thanks nikki for the update and the telecon.

My dad is coming to Cochin tomorrow, will see if the Ashaan can send the repaired/reworked side trim for fitment.
Old 18th November 2008, 18:36   #333
BHPian

Bit of a noobie question, but why does the car have Alto indicator/wiper stalks?
Old 18th November 2008, 18:38   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Hail Nikkibike!
You're taking lots of effort to get this car back in a good shape.
The pictures and your words explain very much in detail of all abnormalities in the car. Good that our Mr. Chellappan chettan is doing his best to sort everything out.
Hats off man!
:cheers:
aaah.. Thanks duda..!
Now at this moment, wish this car came to me directly from Pune!
Anyways, am trying to do my best to bring it back to full glory! Lets see.!
cheers:

Last edited by nikkibike : 18th November 2008 at 18:45.
Old 18th November 2008, 18:39   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Bit of a noobie question, but why does the car have Alto indicator/wiper stalks?
Because I want control over lights, wipers and windshield washer from the steering column and theoriginal car didnt have any of these except a headlamp DIM/DIP on a stalk and indicator control on the steering boss.

No it is not original, but it is practical.
Old 18th November 2008, 18:43   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
My dad is coming to Cochin tomorrow, will see if the Ashaan can send the repaired/reworked side trim for fitment.

Great! Can go and collect it from his end if required. Let me know.
This is anyway a post-paint job requirement na!
Old 18th November 2008, 18:49   #337
BHPian

Good to know that we are making better progress now. Nikki, very nice job there man, we are proud of you!

There are friends, and then, there are friends....

Steer, personal suggestion, if you have not already planned, please get rid of those card board thingys on the dash when you get the painting done this time around. It spoils the look and beats the purpose of getting the original meters after all that pain/expenditure. Also, try the hub-cups for Gypsy wheels, let me know if you want me to source it for you from Coimbatore. It gives a proper look to the current rims.
Old 18th November 2008, 18:54   #338
Team-BHP Support

Remove those stainless steel rim lips and put nice black hub caps. With amby's tilted wheels fitting bucket seat requires some additional planning, but i guess nikki and team are on the right tracks. I feel the pedals (new hanging designs) might require some rework to make it more ergo and to go with the bigger steering wheel.
Old 18th November 2008, 19:16   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Steer, personal suggestion, if you have not already planned, please get rid of those card board thingys on the dash when you get the painting done this time around. It spoils the look and beats the purpose of getting the original meters after all that pain/expenditure.
Those are temp fillers, not permanent fixtures (which is why they are done in hardboard). The idea was to bring the car to Cochin and get the upholstry and doorpads redone, at which time we could also figure out what to do with the insides of the dash. We were not planning a full repaint, though.

Now, I dont really care - we will do whatever it takes to fix this car. After that, we'll fix the bozos who brought it to this condition.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th November 2008 at 19:23.
Old 18th November 2008, 19:19   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Also, try the hub-cups for Gypsy wheels, let me know if you want me to source it for you from Coimbatore. It gives a proper look to the current rims.
Yup Sree! Try if you can get those caps in coimbatore. Those stuffs have wiped off from Kochi since years!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Remove those stainless steel rim lips and put nice black hub caps. With amby's tilted wheels fitting bucket seat requires some additional planning, but i guess nikki and team are on the right tracks. I feel the pedals (new hanging designs) might require some rework to make it more ergo and to go with the bigger steering wheel.
aaaaha! dead opposite! hmm... are you trying to make it a 1980's rally car??!
Jokes apart... any suggetions for steering/driver seat/pedals positioning! Really need some good old heads like you to do a no-nonsense job!
Old 18th November 2008, 19:40   #341
BANNED

Quote:
Good to know that we are making better progress now. Nikki, very nice job there man, we are proud of you!

There are friends, and then, there are friends....

Steer, personal suggestion, if you have not already planned, please get rid of those card board thingys on the dash when you get the painting done this time around. It spoils the look and beats the purpose of getting the original meters after all that pain/expenditure.
It will be done as part of the ICEing job.
And I'm sure the man who's going to do that will finish it in a very good taste, I'm sure!
Old 18th November 2008, 22:03   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Remove those stainless steel rim lips and put nice black hub caps
i would say remove those stainless steel rim lips, paint the wheels black and put the steel rims back.

here is something to give you the picture of what im talking about.

Landmaster Project - Part II-landy-121a-copy.jpg
Landmaster Project - Part II-i8662-copy.jpg
Landmaster Project - Part II-i8664-copy.jpg
Old 19th November 2008, 10:56   #343
BHPian

Ugh!! Santhosh, I guess the pictures in above post are taken during delivery time from Motorsmiths! Here the 3rd picture shows good clearance between front tyre and fender edge! Then when and how did it sinked later??! OR is that the car is parked in a slope??!
Confusion Confusion!!!

Well.. yesterday eve we sat for a long time with the car to fix the steering/seat/pedal issue! Now we have some better ideas to fix it.

(1) Pull the steering (in the same angle line at which it is fixed at present and NOT lift it radially) 1 inch more towards driver side.
(See pic no.2 in post no 327 for refferance)
(2) Reposition the driver seat a bit to rear (1 to 2 inches) and fix it in correct orientation.

(3) Work on the pedals after the above works to make it to comfortable levels!

Now guys, let your views flow so that I can execute it in the best possible way.

cheers:

btw, @badboyscad.. great work there!!

Last edited by nikkibike : 19th November 2008 at 11:07.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:30   #344
Senior - BHPian

Nikki,

Stupid question: I know that the car has different/ hanging pedals and repositioned steering etc., for ergonomic reasons. Arent there any other Landmasters or Amby's that can be used as a reference for the steering column positioning ? How about Rudra-da's Amby ? Does it have similar seating/steering/pedals you are trying to put into the car ?

How different is the seat-steering-pedal positioning between say a Landmaster vs a say 1965-68 Amby Mark-1 ?

rgds
Srinivas
Old 19th November 2008, 12:44   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
Ugh!! Santhosh, I guess the pictures in above post are taken during delivery time from Motorsmiths! Here the 3rd picture shows good clearance between front tyre and fender edge! Then when and how did it sinked later??! OR is that the car is parked in a slope??!
Confusion Confusion!!!
Guess the torsion bar gave way during the journey from Bangalore to Cochin, because the tilt was there when we reached Cochin.

The rear gave way too, during the journey - I remember the right rear tyres started scraping against wheel arches by the time we got past Electronics City.

@ smsrini -

1. Rudra doesnt use power steering.

2. Rudra has a Gypsy steering column, if I'm not mistaken.

3. Rudra uses some other steering wheel which is of normal size.

4. Rudra's seats are positioned properly.

5. I think (and I may be wrong) Rudra's car has the conventional floor-mounted pedals.

6. I have a Nova steering column.

7. I have OHC power steering.

8. I have the Landmaster steering wheel which is bigger - we were using the old Nova steering wheel earlier which was quite manageable in terms of diameter.

9. My seats are not positioned properly - the seats have to be positioned more towards the left, as they are slightly tilted AWAY from the steering on the right side at the moment.

10.I have suspended pedals which were so badly positioned (and twisted out of shape) that they had to be worked on at least 4 times after we took delivery of the car. When we drove the car down from Bangalore I got cramps on my legs as I had to life my knee nearly to shoulder height every time I used the pedals.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed