Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2008, 11:56   #361
BHPian

hmm... brake booster and related linkages comes in the engine bay!

Steering mounting braket is being worked upon now. Needs some serious thoughts and TIME to do a perfect job!

E.Oil leakage is identified. Head cover fastener(front end) was loose!!!!!!! Minor cosmetic changes on head cover is also happening! Steer, let me know if you wish to paint it with any specific colour. Black will give it an old and period look I guess!

Still waiting for Rudra Sir's pics!

Have planned to work on repositioning gear lever also. Diverting all of our thoughts to Ambassador/Matador era!
Old 22nd November 2008, 12:23   #362
BHPian

Short shifter from a Fiat Padmini maybe ?
Old 22nd November 2008, 14:24   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Short shifter from a Fiat Padmini maybe ?
YES YES.... Give more ideas/infos on this. Very interesting! PM me your number also dude! I lost your number!
cheers:
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:25   #364
BANNED

Quote:
Spring steels are manufactured in cold rolled process with high carbon contents to get high yield strength!!! AFAIK, the leaf springs(used in automobiles) has 'high yield strength' and that is the factor that counts. It looses its elastic property only when heated to a certain extent and cooled slowly in air!
I do not care about the manufacturing process; This (spring leaves losing tensile strength) has happened on couple of occasions on our heavy vehicles. The usual solution would be to cut it up and reuse when need arises as 3rd leaf or below.

The first post at top of page 24 reminded me of those occassions. There is metal fatigue and quality issues with manufacturing processes too. And I hope that the wheel was hitting the top of the wheel well (vertical sagging), rather than the differential housing / axle moving front / back which would indicate a problem with mounting points / "shoes".

On a side note, this link has some interesting info about the steering tilt. CYBERSTEERING - Spot the Car Contest ANSWER - 1957 Hindustan Landmaster

And the wiki link about torsion suspension. Torsion bar suspension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Re. the vehicle height / suspension issues, I guess a closer look at the various pics of the car would be in order. In some pics, I think the rear right arch is higher than the rear left w.r.t. the tyres. And the clearence is different from what it was when the vehicle first came into Steer's hands. (see the pics of car before it went through the <del>tort</del> project I).
Old 23rd November 2008, 19:21   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
E.Oil leakage is identified. Head cover fastener(front end) was loose!!!!!!!
This is probably because the head was switched at Shornur - the head from GTO's engine was put on the Land a day before it was driven to Cochin.

Quote:
Minor cosmetic changes on head cover is also happening! Steer, let me know if you wish to paint it with any specific colour. Black will give it an old and period look I guess!
Go ahead and paint it black - if the paint will last. Else just have it buffed.
Old 23rd November 2008, 20:06   #366
Senior - BHPian

My first and only brush with the LANDMASTER.

There was this pretty aunty who used to live in front of my house when I was a kid. Her drive was a maroon LANDMASTER. One day, she called me for help saying her brakes were not working. I ran, checked everything I could, and came to a conclusion that the brake fluid must have drained out. I checked the whole car for the brake fluid reservoir, but could not find it. I returned back, having failed to get the problem fixed. Months later, I learnt that the reservoir is below the driver's feet!

Keep driving along LANDMASTER

Last edited by TheARUN : 23rd November 2008 at 20:06. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:11   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
My first and only brush with the LANDMASTER.
Months later, I learnt that the reservoir is below the driver's feet!
To be very sure, it was 'below' the driver's feet if the driver was sitting in the driver's seat but not driving! Yes, the reservoir was under the floorplate in way of the driver's seat! There was a small 'trapdoor' in the floorplate, to access this reservoir. Further, it had a large hex screw (size 32?) that had to be removed to fill up the reservoir. Not a very DIY friendly job!
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:21   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Herez the snaps of pedal bracket. This is a very soild one and thatz the reason why we chose to leave that part as it is..! Will work on lower part of pedals to make it more convenient to use!

Those pictures show a lot of rust - that entire area needs a work-over!
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:35   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Those pictures show a lot of rust - that entire area needs a work-over!

The whole car needs a work over. Coming up soon, after this is over.
Old 24th November 2008, 11:51   #370
BHPian

Update!

Head Cover opened for minor works and tappet settings!
Steering mounting is being completely worked upon to suit better and easy steering usability!

4th pic - Marked area needs serious alteration!!
5th pic - need to increase oveall length of steering linkage!
6th pic - Gear lever is hitting the floor housing when reverse is engaged! Making tuk tuk sound everytime we put it to reverse!!
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster Project - Part II-005a.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-019a.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-007a.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-008a.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-011a.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-015a.jpg  

Last edited by nikkibike : 24th November 2008 at 11:56.
Old 24th November 2008, 12:26   #371
Team-BHP Support

Why is there a wire running through the floor housing in the last pic? It will get cut easily.
Old 24th November 2008, 12:54   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Why is there a wire running through the floor housing in the last pic? It will get cut easily.
I think its the AC's water overflow pipe. Not sure tho.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:18   #373
Senior - BHPian

I had the very same doubt.

Doesn't look a overflow pipe. If it is then I'm sure it is not functioning the way it should cause it is all squeezed up.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:31   #374
BHPian

I doubt if it is the A/C water drain pipe. Looks to me more like the Speedo cable or Reverse Gear switch (the one that is used to automatically control the Reverse lights and the (not so enjoyable) musical horn on reverse.

I do not really think it's the speedo cable but what else will come out of the GB and go inside the dash?

Nikki, I have found the COX cups already my friend. Will try to hand it over in person if I can manage to sneak out coming weekend, else it will be sent through our resident transporter (JayD )
Old 24th November 2008, 13:57   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I doubt if it is the A/C water drain pipe. Looks to me more like the Speedo cable or Reverse Gear switch (the one that is used to automatically control the Reverse lights and the (not so enjoyable) musical horn on reverse.
Reverse lights?? LOL!!!

Quote:
I do not really think it's the speedo cable but what else will come out of the GB and go inside the dash?
with this car, u really cannot make a statement like that!

Quote:
Nikki, I have found the COX cups already my friend. Will try to hand it over in person if I can manage to sneak out coming weekend, else it will be sent through our resident transporter (JayD )
Present sir!! Btw, aren't u joining us for the D R I V E??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks