Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 14:13   #376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Why is there a wire running through the floor housing in the last pic? It will get cut easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I think its the AC's water overflow pipe. Not sure tho.
yup! its AC water overflow hose!!!

@ Sreeram, Handover the caps to Jaydev. Therez no emergency for that item now. Need to clear lots of issues before that inclucing painting job! So CHILL... and bring it incase if you are coming for the CRUISE!!

Last edited by nikkibike : 24th November 2008 at 14:21.
Old 24th November 2008, 22:37   #377
BHPian

The A/C Pipe should be rerouted, the gear lever and it's shifter cover will bang against the body when the engine is cranked up, and of course it would be tougher to slot it into reverse.

Talked to my mechanic he said that now they use a Maruti shift lever linkage to reduce the throws, only prob being a central console have to be made between the seats to hide the linkage, But if we the console a wee bit bigger it could also accommodate an amp and a Head unit with ease or a Stealth sub like in Zak's Qawaalis.

Didn't understand what was the problem in the fourth pic, if it was rust , well just leave it alone till the painting, if it's going to be worked upon spray some primer on it before fitting the column back.

What's Going to be the new colour for the car ? Steer decided anything yet ?
Old 25th November 2008, 11:04   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Talked to my mechanic he said that now they use a Maruti shift lever linkage to reduce the throws, only prob being a central console have to be made between the seats to hide the linkage, But if we the console a wee bit bigger it could also accommodate an amp and a Head unit with ease or a Stealth sub like in Zak's Qawaalis.
Didn't understand what was the problem in the fourth pic, if it was rust , well just leave it alone till the painting, if it's going to be worked upon spray some primer on it before fitting the column back.
Get more ideas on this dudaa.. We got to do that very soon.

Hey.... what an idea sirji?!!!!!

ha! That is steering coloumn mounting bracket. It was removed, relocated and being fixed firmly now! Now the steering is more handy and easy to use.
Old 25th November 2008, 13:36   #379
BHPian

Update!

Steering relocated and fixed! Steering linkage has been modified to suit the extra offset.
Now all the three factors; steering offset, seat and pedals are well in line for comfortable drive!

See the mech sitting in the driver seat. Eye level above steering wheel, Arm comfortably on steering, comfortably kept left leg on clutch pedal - sets a very comfortable sitting posture!

Final welding on steering mounting will be over today. We need to work on the steering column cover to hide the extra length that is exposed as part of this process.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster Project - Part II-009a.jpg  

Landmaster Project - Part II-006a.jpg  

Last edited by nikkibike : 25th November 2008 at 13:50.
Old 25th November 2008, 16:18   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Forgive my curiosity but who is that gent in the driver's seat? The Shoranur ashaan??
Old 25th November 2008, 16:32   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Forgive my curiosity but who is that gent in the driver's seat? The Shoranur ashaan??
NO! He is Mr.Mani, asst. ashan of Horizon Motors, where the present works are being done!
Old 1st December 2008, 23:44   #382
Senior - BHPian

can anybody tell me what this knob is for??
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster Project - Part II-landy-014a.jpg  

Old 1st December 2008, 23:48   #383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
That's the aftermarket air conditioning knob.
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:27   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is one of the most used knobs in summer, down south, the one and only Unicla AC control unit!!
Old 11th December 2008, 12:53   #385
Senior - BHPian

Took the Landmaster on a 'shakedown' test drive with family last week to Kumarakom, thanks to Chikku (nikkibike) and Chellapan Ashaan.

The idling issue was finally sorted out by Chikku that morning - they spent over 3 hours to try and figure out what was causing the vehicle to idle so irregularly (like a diesel engine) and finally Chikku figured it out. By the time we got to the garage, the engine was purring smoooooooth like a petrol engine should, with a nice raspy note from the exhaust. Beautiful.

Steering position is now nearly perfect - it will now be repositioned once again from below the lower dash lip to a mounting point above the lower dash lip - this will give it a slighly more vertical position w.r.t the seats.

Overall we had a great drive - it felt very old-wordly to be driving around in this car and the family thoroughly enjoyed the 'retro ride'. Wiring is still to be sorted out so we had a funny situation whereby the main fuse would blow every time we stopped the vehicle after a longish drive. Nothing of that sort happened while the vehicle was moving, though. We carried 10 fuses with us and bought another 8 on the way - all of which were used up by the time we finished the 'drive'. Felt very much like the old days when every long trip involved several stops for cooling the vehicle down - ended up answering questions from the locals at each such 'stop' about the car.

To me this is a much more enjoyable and involving travelling experience - you end up getting involved with the vehicle and the people around rather than drive through in your airconditioned, insulated cabin. The sound of truck tyres roaring as they pass by in the night is something that took me back to my childhood days - there was something very heart-tugging in that howl as I took a smoking break. The smell of petrol in the cabin and the grease on your hands from opening up the bonnet every now and then added to the charm of the drive. The whole experience took me back about 3 decades when we used to drive up to Bangalore and Kolar in my dad's old Mark II. All that was missing were the picnic lunches below wayside trees and the home made tea from the flask.

The amount of interest in the car is unbelievable - the 9-year-old on the front passenger seat couldnt understand what all the fuss was about, but he was enjoying every minute of the ride. To the point where we got back into the Safari and he wished he were back in the Landmaster!

In between the exhaust packing came loose and the vehicle was farting every time it was revved. Tried tightening it at a wayside garage but it came loose again.

Otherwise the vehicle did just great - it is VERY stable at high speeds (138 kmph on the GPS with some more pedal to go - speedometer is still in miles and not very reliable). We got some open-mouthed stares from the drivers of Amby taxis on the 4-lane Cherthala-Cochin highway when we wafted past regally as they were straining at the limits of their diesel engines, and then there was this Bolero chap who was pissed off when we overtook him and tried to get back at us. Not a very bright idea on his part as all I needed to do was downshift and watch him get smaller on the rear view - that guy was really indignant.

Lots of issues remain with the vehicle, but it is now in decent drivable condition with a smooth engine (when the packing is on, that is). We now have the Fiat, so we can take some time with the work on this grand old lady.

Thank you, Nikki for all you're doing. This guy takes time off from work to spend an hour with the old lady every day, fabicates stuff in his factory (eg. the steering linkage extension!) when modifications are required and has unbelievable reserves of patience to be able to sit down and figure out what exactly is wrong. I would never have been able to do a fraction of what he is.

What we must appreciate is that the work these guys are doing on the Land is not simple mechanical work - they actually have to undo the 'work' done at Motorsmiths first (all of which is turning out to be shoddy, temporary fixes that wont last) and then redo everything all over again.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th December 2008 at 13:07.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:30   #386
BHPian

Congrats Steer! Now I think I can say, 'You Did It' !cheers:
Nikki, this is for you -
Old 11th December 2008, 15:08   #387
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh.....nice to know she's finally coming along where she should have been long ago. Congrats Steer! A drive is due now!
Old 11th December 2008, 15:29   #388
Senior - BHPian

Good one steer and nikki great job. Some pictures now would have added glory to this
Old 11th December 2008, 15:55   #389
BHPian

Good to read about the Landy doing well, congrats Steer.

138 kmph sure is good, that too with some left to go, I have done about 120 kmph max in my Amby, ran out of road after that. I think carb cars can be fine tuned but MPFI's, like mine have very little scope.

Please try and post some pic's of the Landy now.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:39   #390
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Santosh. Finally some good news. It will only be better from here on Im sure.

Quote:
Its a Unicla Superking A/C switch. It consists of two pieces. One the switch which controls the Fan, thats the one which is the knob and is jutting out. The other is like a bezel, which controls the compressor cut off or what is known as the temperature setting switch. Its a three speed.

There are also two lights to the switch situated on either side, above the switch, one orange with a fan on it and one green. One shows the fan on/off (orange) and the other,green one, comes on only when the A/c compressor comes on.

Last edited by V-16 : 11th December 2008 at 19:47. Reason: adding content
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks