Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 13:43   #436
BHPian

Yep A shakedown Drive is totally essential, the mechanical bits will show their true colours after this. The Center cross, leafs, suspension, Engine Mountings etc will need some running to see how it holds up and the doors too will sag a little bit after use and this may cause the paint in the door arches to scrape off,these are some common issues associated with the car.

Also I would suggest fitting Hydraulic Dampeners for boot opening, eases out the pain of lifting that heavy boot lid. The Maruti Omni dampeners are a preferred choice but can do this only before painting as this involves some welding on the dicky door.

And Where are the shift lights and RPM meters gonna be placed ? also it would be best to finalise the location of the front speakers and head unit before going for the paint job also the rear parcel try has to be cut in order to place speakers 6 X 9 or 6.5" or what ever.Retractale radio antenna like the Dukkar ?
Old 29th January 2009, 15:53   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Yep A shakedown Drive is totally essential, the mechanical bits will show their true colours after this. The Center cross, leafs, suspension, Engine Mountings etc will need some running to see how it holds up and the doors too will sag a little bit after use and this may cause the paint in the door arches to scrape off,these are some common issues associated with the car.

Also I would suggest fitting Hydraulic Dampeners for boot opening, eases out the pain of lifting that heavy boot lid. The Maruti Omni dampeners are a preferred choice but can do this only before painting as this involves some welding on the dicky door.

And Where are the shift lights and RPM meters gonna be placed ? also it would be best to finalise the location of the front speakers and head unit before going for the paint job also the rear parcel try has to be cut in order to place speakers 6 X 9 or 6.5" or what ever.Retractale radio antenna like the Dukkar ?
hmm... you seems to be on topgear sitting at home!! Dude... have you found any new name for the car??!! Once all the above jobs are done, i guess the legendary name 'Landmaster' would not match the car!
Old 29th January 2009, 16:12   #438
BHPian

Dude already it's a hot-rod with some originaality, K & N Apollo is going in too it's already got a ported/polished head, 205 tyres , now all the car is missing is a low rider suspension and bling bling chrome alloys,

Now how bout those Shiftlights ? Saturday night drags from Foreshore road ?

Before Santoshbhai was talking bout Panasonic valve HUs then some Becker HU so I am expecting some kind of magic in that area too.

And an idle mind is a devils workshop right ?

"Landy On Steroids" seems appropriate.

Last edited by muneemmk : 29th January 2009 at 16:15.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:31   #439
Senior - BHPian

*********Deleted**************

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th January 2009 at 16:34. Reason: DUPLICATE POST
Old 29th January 2009, 16:32   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
Quite a sensible thinking! The car badly needs a second round of 'shakedown' drive! Need not be a loooong drive! Regular usage for a week will reveal hidden issues if any! Now we all are doing the final rounds of works. Will have to go and get the handbrake cable today! Ugh... time is up!
Further updates later!
Wanna drive it to Wayanad?

The car has had its share of shakedown drives - from Bangalore to Cochin to Shornur to Palghat to Trichur to Calicut to Cochin and from there onwards quite a bit of in-town driving and a Kumarakom round trip. Not too bad for a 53 year old.

If the engine is smooth and all drive-train noises have been removed + steering sorted out it should be quite driveable after the level of 'sorting out' we have done so far.

The only reason I keep pushing for the paint job is:

1. Feedback from several workshops and by those in the know seem to indicate that the surface issues will only worsen with time. Already the surface is looking quite leprous in patches, I cant think of how much worse it can get.

2. We need to do up the interiors - no point in doing this if the car is scheduled to go in for a paintjob, as they will all have to be stripped out again.

3. In addition to the interior work, Zuh is supposed to work on the ICE part. Again I wouldnt want to do that if there is a paintjob in the near vicinity.

4. I want to rid the car of all traces of MotorSux.

5. I have the paint combo for the actual colour I had planned for the car and have one litre of the sample already with me
Old 29th January 2009, 16:56   #441
Senior - BHPian

Aaaargh!! Will you guys quit it with the 'shakedown' tests? Its a landmaster guys, not a land rover. Treat it like a classic!
Old 29th January 2009, 17:23   #442
BANNED

1. Fix the appointment with the paint shop.
2. Run the car for about 500kms or so within that period.
3. Finish the paint work.
4. Interiors and ICE comes at this stage.

ICE planning has to be done before the car goes in for the interior/upholstery works. Just a drop in visit to Zuhemi will do. He will give an idea of what and what not to do!
Old 29th January 2009, 17:44   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
1. Fix the appointment with the paint shop.
2. Run the car for about 500kms or so within that period.
3. Finish the paint work.
4. Interiors and ICE comes at this stage.

ICE planning has to be done before the car goes in for the interior/upholstery works. Just a drop in visit to Zuhemi will do. He will give an idea of what and what not to do!
Eclipse + Hertz 3 ways plus?

I maybe meeting him today.

Last edited by jkdas : 29th January 2009 at 17:46.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:41   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think so too. Talking to him before the interiors get done would be a very good idea.

Eclipse??? Grrrrrrrrrr...
Old 29th January 2009, 19:35   #445
BANNED

Eclipse it is!
The last one I saw was about some thousands of light years away a few days back. But the eclipse going into the landy isn't that, I hope. LOL!

3ways?? Hope it ain't those Pyeniir 3/4/5/6 way ovals! Hydra and JK is very much in love with them.
And if A S H V I N gets near somewhere, expect Sony!
Old 30th January 2009, 17:07   #446
BHPian

aaaha! ICE started breving so early??!! huh! this is incredible!

Was busy picking up few parts for landy! Hand brake cable is a mystery! That stuff is nowhere available. Will get a clear picture by tomorrow.
Old 30th January 2009, 17:22   #447
BANNED

No need for a handbrake. It takes up good space where we can put a nice active subwoofer!
Old 30th January 2009, 18:28   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No need for a handbrake. It takes up good space where we can put a nice active subwoofer!
Yessss! Similar to a certain Qualis Taxi
Old 30th January 2009, 21:19   #449
Senior - BHPian

All you ICE guys can will have a loong time to plan the ICE, coz i really don't think its gonna happen anytime soon, regardless of where we are going to paint. There is a loot left to do on the car.

Btw, steer, how about bringng down a pair of HID's when u come?? would look cool on the Blingmaster.
Old 30th January 2009, 22:12   #450
BHPian

Still no sign of the brake cable huh ? in that case i'll take a look at the local scrap yard ,but chances are very thin as Contessas don't come by often.
I thought Judy would have got the brake cable from Coimbatore.

The handbrake also has to be placed on the Right hand side of the driver seat, near the door , so the good part is the Active Zub can still go in .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed