Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 14:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Incidentally, I just rememberd- the mechanic who is doing up my Herald and pennant told me a few days ago that back in the day Vanguards were in regular use as transport vehicles in Tirupati! Minibuses/maxicabs hardly used to ply then. I'm guessing most of them were the estate versions?
Old 13th August 2008, 14:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Incidentally, I just rememberd- the mechanic who is doing up my Herald and pennant told me a few days ago that back in the day Vanguards were in regular use as transport vehicles in Tirupati! Minibuses/maxicabs hardly used to ply then. I'm guessing most of them were the estate versions?
I doubt most would have been Estates - they weren't produced in large enough numbers. Besdies, a regular sedan is large enough to do the job
Old 13th August 2008, 15:48   #18
BHPian

A commendable effort C.S.Ananth, like all the others in your stable. May I take the liberty of pointing out the rexine of the upholstery? I know it's easy for another person to pass comments. I'm just saying it since you've spared no efforts in the restoration obviously. I also know that I couldn't have done as good a job myself. Beautiful!
Old 13th August 2008, 23:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car there, restoration well done !

Pardon my ignorance, but is this the same car which donated engine to the (in)famous Standard 2000?
Old 24th September 2008, 14:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Article in today's Hindu Metroplus.
The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Wheels : Buying an Yercaud Estate
Old 13th February 2009, 06:22   #21

ananth, who is the mechanic who did this for you? I have two older cars that I would like to restore as well but I'm afraid of the quality of work since most mechanics wouldn't have worked on such old cars. PM me if you can, it would be really appreciated =)

-DT
Old 5th April 2009, 19:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Beautiful car there, restoration well done !

Pardon my ignorance, but is this the same car which donated engine to the (in)famous Standard 2000?
Kuttapan,

I saw your question remaining unanswered and thought I would answer that.

Yes it was the same car that donated the engine to Standard 2000. That was also the ultimate reason for the Standard 2000/Rover 2000 never taking off in India.

By the way guys looking for Vanguards must look around in Ooty. They were main Taxi fleet in Ooty until 1977-78. I am sure a lot of examples must have survived.

Stanes Motors, who were the South India sales agents for Standard had a beutiful "english styled" work shop on the road leading to the Botanical Gardens.

Drive Safe
Old 6th April 2009, 23:25   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
By the way guys looking for Vanguards must look around in Ooty. They were main Taxi fleet in Ooty until 1977-78. I am sure a lot of examples must have survived.

Stanes Motors, who were the South India sales agents for Standard had a beutiful "english styled" work shop on the road leading to the Botanical Gardens.
A couple of old pics. of Vanguard taxis in Ooty..this is a phase 2, seen around early 90s. 'not sure if it still sruvives:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/999696-post537.html

And an older phase 1 seen more recently, in Ooty again...but certainly not surviving anymore:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1154478-post27.html

Stanes motors- you mean they were the Standard sales dealers for Nilgiris area?

Last edited by Stanher : 6th April 2009 at 23:28.
Old 7th April 2009, 04:42   #24
BHPian

Woow Congrats man thats a very good restoration work that has been done. I dont know much about the history of the car but the restoration work is top notch. nice to see such an old lady still loking young & beautiful.

Cheers!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks