Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 16:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Post-war Jaguars in India

here is an XJS V12. the car was for sale a few years ago and had gone to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Post-war Jaguars in India-mvc003f-xjs.jpg  

Post-war Jaguars in India-mvc007f-xjs.jpg  

speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2008, 16:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

i also found pictures of a good friends E type convertible jaguar. i did not know where to post it so doing it here.
Attached Thumbnails
Post-war Jaguars in India-dscf0016.jpg  

speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2008, 17:15   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i also found pictures of a good friends E type convertible jaguar. i did not know where to post it so doing it here.
Wow that's a stunner. Is that a six or V12?

Those XJS's were nice cars, however Jags of that era seems to have a lot of niggling problems if I recall correctly.

Last edited by DKG : 26th August 2008 at 17:17.
Old 26th August 2008, 17:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Wow that's a stunner. Is that a six or V12?

Those XJS's were nice cars, however Jags of that era seems to have a lot of niggling problems if I recall correctly.
that is a v12 E type.
the XJS were troublesome and i was offered a v12 for 4 lacs and it had some engine trouble but immaculate interiors. i did not touch it. this was in the late 90's and the car was sold to someone else who spent a fortune to do it up. the car still did not treat him right.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2008, 17:44   #5
BHPian

Are you sure? it looks like a series-1 E-Type (closed headlights) and they never came with V12s. Straight 6s.
Old 26th August 2008, 17:47   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Troubles apart the Jag V12, also in the Daimlers as the double six, was an extremely sweet engine. I remember being deeply impressed by its silk smoothness
Old 26th August 2008, 17:49   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
Are you sure? it looks like a series-1 E-Type (closed headlights) and they never came with V12s. Straight 6s.
You are referring to the series-1 E type I assume? As I've seen other E types with v12's

It would help if someone who knows about E types lists the different versions corresponding to the years of production, ideally with pictures please, throwing light on which had the V12's and the six and other aspects such as identification points

Last edited by DKG : 26th August 2008 at 17:53.
Old 26th August 2008, 18:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

MustangMan is right. The Series 1 (1961-67) E-Types came only with Inline 6s. So did the Series 2 (1968-71) cars. In the Series 2 E-Type, the turning indicator was located below the bumper. It was only the Series 3 (1971-75) cars that came with the V12. If you read my XJ story, you'll see that the V12 came in 1972. That's the time the Series 3 was in production. The Series 3 grille was different.
The above model, which is a Series 1 is the most sought after.
The V12 was an amazingly smooth and refined engine as DKG said. In the mid eighties, I was privileged enough to get a ride in a Daimler Double Six. Boy oh boy! The power, the quietness, the ride - out of this world.
The shape of the XJS gave me sleepless nights because I didn't have it. Dippy and aah78 will know.
Old 26th August 2008, 21:45   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Series 1 (1961-67) E-Types came only with Inline 6s. So did the Series 2 (1968-71) cars. In the Series 2 E-Type, the turning indicator was located below the bumper. It was only the Series 3 (1971-75) cars that came with the V12.
Any chance of suplementing this with pictures so people can relate to the different models? Also visual cues in telling different years models would be helpful

Quote:
The shape of the XJS gave me sleepless nights because I didn't have it.
Does anyone remember the name of the guy who designed it. He was a well known person. Can't remember his name offhand

PS Its Malcolm Sayer, designer of the C, D and E-type Jaguar, the XJ13 and the XJS.(source: the net )

Last edited by DKG : 26th August 2008 at 21:50.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
that is a v12 E type.
Quote:
If this car is the one I know, it's is a mish-mash, so don't hold your breath(s) on it. Moreover, isn't this spot for the pre-war jags?

Last edited by Prabal : 26th August 2008 at 22:28.
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2008, 20:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the car was featured in the program All About My Car Honey and there too it was mentioned to be a V12 by the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
If this car is the one I know, it's is a mish-mash, so don't hold your breath(s) on it. Moreover, isn't this spot for the pre-war jags?
what do you mean by mish-mash Prabal ?. this car went from one collector to another as far as i know. this is the spot for pre war Jaguars but there is no place for the E type anywhere on the forum. there is this and the XK threads. i have mentioned i did not know where to post them so i have done so here.

Last edited by speedy : 29th August 2008 at 20:50.
Old 29th August 2008, 22:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
the car was featured in the program All About My Car Honey and there too it was mentioned to be a V12 by the owner.
The owner will mention what it features now, but that doesn't necessarily have to be correct historically! Moreover, many owners, and I don't necessarily mean this person but a general statement, are rather hilarious in all their seriousness to pull the wool over the audience's eyes. Majority of them actually don't know any better themselves - in fact many don't know anything more than the average Joe, but pretend like Coventry was in their backyard!

Quote:
what do you mean by mish-mash Prabal ?. this car went from one collector to another as far as i know. this is the spot for pre war Jaguars but there is no place for the E type anywhere on the forum. there is this and the XK threads. i have mentioned i did not know where to post them so i have done so here.
Like I said, if this is the car that I think it is, then it's a mish-mash because it has the body type of one model, engine of another, seats sourced later, etc. etc. Nothing wrong with that if the missing parts are correctly mated to the chassis' original specifications. Moving from one collector to another also means nothing. When fake documents are happily accepted why not incorrect specs - infact many feel happier to get a V12 rather than a V6 - it's a common practice amongst many of our so called 'collectors' to even 'upgrade' 6 cylinder engines to 8 cylinder ones in the American cars. The 'collectors' get a better price!! How many people, other than the handful who are mostly dismissed off as cranks by the more 'practical' collectors, really go into the nitty-grittys of originality. I may be wrong, but chances are high that I'm not. I think this is the same car that was a burnt down shell when it was restored.

Regarding this being the thread for pre-war Jags, I wasn't alluding to you in particular, speedy. I had made this comment a few pages back also and suggested that post-war Jags should get a thread of their own going by the systematic distribution on the forum, or else just rename this as Jaguars in India - something that the experts can decide one way or the other.

Last edited by Prabal : 29th August 2008 at 22:55.
Old 29th August 2008, 23:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

ok guys i did some calling up and what i have been told is that this convertible is a 6 cylinder by some and V12 by others. i hope someone can put some light into this.
Prabal i dont know if this car was burnt or not. it was with a collector in Indore and is sold to a collector in Bangalore. they both know their cars and would know the originality of it.

here is an original V12 E type coupe.
Attached Thumbnails
Post-war Jaguars in India-scan0018.jpg  

Post-war Jaguars in India-scan0019.jpg  

Post-war Jaguars in India-scan0020.jpg  

Post-war Jaguars in India-scan0021.jpg  

speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2008, 00:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
ok guys i did some calling up and what i have been told is that this convertible is a 6 cylinder by some and V12 by others. i hope someone can put some light into this.
I'm sure you've been reading the observations by the others and the pointers to how to differentiate between the E-types, and how therefore it can not be a V12 in this body but a straight 6. Why don't you ask the two collector friends of yours only?

Quote:
Prabal i dont know if this car was burnt or not. it was with a collector in Indore and is sold to a collector in Bangalore. they both know their cars and would know the originality of it.
Especially when they know their cars and one of them said it's a V12 on that show on television!
Old 30th August 2008, 00:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I'm sure you've been reading the observations by the others and the pointers to how to differentiate between the E-types, and how therefore it can not be a V12 in this body but a straight 6. Why don't you ask the two collector friends of yours only?

Especially when they know their cars and one of them said it's a V12 on that show on television!
i have asked my brother to do so, since i dont have their numbers. my brother says its a 6 Cylinder but i want to confirm none the less.
the presenter of the show mentioned V12 and not the collector. his wife was shown driveing the car and talking about it and not him. he was talking about all his other cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks