Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2008, 11:48   #1
BHPian

Wish to care for my 52 year old friend.

Hey i just signed up for this forum, so i am a new member(Greatest day after waiting one whole day for approval) !!! Anyway i have posted this thread as the title reads for an old friend by the name of Hindustan Landmaster. He is like my third grandfather and he still works till this day (touch wood!!) He's my grandfather's car which is quite interesting from the stories i've heard.

Long story short my grandfather chose indiviuality over conformity and bought the landmaster in 1972 (assam) from a PWD head engineer who had the car in immaculate condition. Things changed and my grandfather was transferred to W.B. where the car was somehow maintained for 4 years and then when he retired it sat in a garage for 20 years. When i first looked at it was in shambles the paint had concrete droppings after the garage was made and the seats were eaten by rats and it was completed rusted (dont blame by grandfather the extended family problems began to arose so less time on car)

However in 2006 my grandfather's strong emotional tie with car made him restore it to "running condition". As far as my knowledge the following things were done:

The engine is original (i dont what cc it is but reading the car book it says it has 14 hp which is amazing) however since it is old its been fitted with "oversized" rings (please explain the meaning)

Parts are pretty much the original. The float in the carb. had a crack and thus it had to be soldered from a goldsmith.

Dynamo and alternator have been added with more wire (please excuse my simple terminology this is all from memory)

water pump was fixed somehow but its still a problem.

The front chassis was cutoff due to extensive rust damage and so a new front section was added with engine mounts somehow so the front of the car rides a tad bit lower.

The interior was redone. The dash has a primer look since original trims were deemed unusable (or in my opinion sold off since once a car like this goes in its a pot of gold waiting to sold). So the old speedo and others a showpieces. the ivory shifter and other ivory pieces are not visible i believe there gone. the steering wheel is realli bad since the windtone horn was stolen (replaced with a modern day plastic not-so good windtone horn). ALso the piece that acts as the horn in the steering wheel is missing.

The lights are okay but the turn signals and rear lights are not original i believe from a tempo.

I forgot that the color of the car is black and year 1956.

Anyways i was looking at the other landmasters and i envy each and every single one of you. your interior is great and the exteriors are even better.

Back to the title of this thread, as i was saying is there any place in West Bengal or Delhi that i can find Landmaster parts. Im also open to anyone on this forum who is able to locate these parts in perhaps U.K. since the morris oxford series 2 is the twin brother of the landmaster (i maybe wrong).

I just want to give you a prelim. list of what i need for this car:

Main engine bearings (If possible all engine bearings)
Steering Wheel Assembly (the horn ring and its components)
Possibly a new center piece (speedo and fuel, etc)
Possibly the ivory pieces on the gear shift and the bottom row of signals &etc
The dashboard trim which are on the side of the speedo
Water pump
Full Carb and working float
Maybe Radiator
Full set of lights front and rear
And if possible Dyanmo and alternator

Thank You for spending your time reading this please post if happen to know where i maybe able to find these parts.
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome aboard.

Do contact anjan, he ordered similar parts for his Landmaster.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...andmaster.html

Cheers
Karl
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

You should be able to find quite a few of your requirements in India, and those that arent available here can be sourced from the Morris Oxford & Cowley club in the UK (also referred by anjan). I'm getting the steering wheel, the center meter console, switches and some other stuff from them for my '55 Land.

If you want an OHV engine, I have an extra piece - which came with the car Karl bought for me (not sidevalve, but OHV). It is butter-smooth.

You really should speak to Anjan (who is also from Cal/WB if I'm not mistaken?)
Old 2nd September 2008, 23:47   #4
BHPian

re: Engine

Hello again Mr. Steeriod i love your project its unqiue and designed to leave every one in awe. Anyways im very unfamiliar with the engine on my grandfathers car. however i do have a pic, would you be able to tell me what engine this car has. The engine is very old and we absolutely do not want to change the engine since its still a great car. thank you.
Old 3rd September 2008, 00:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey!!! Nice to see another Landmaster owner on the forum.Its suddenly raining landies here! So the current headcount of landy's are:

1955- 2
1956-2 or 3
1957-1
Are there any more?? The doubt on the 1956 year is due to boeuff's car of which the year is unknown to me.

Btw, the pix are in a private folder so cannot view them, pls upload it directly to the forum.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...tml#post916884.

All the best for your restoration, and do keep us posted on the updates!

Last edited by JayD : 3rd September 2008 at 00:33.
Old 3rd September 2008, 02:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56landmaster View Post
Hello again Mr. Steeriod i love your project its unqiue and designed to leave every one in awe.
Thank you for the kind words, though if you'd seen the bill a better term would've been "Shock & Awe". I can tell you how NOT to go about your restoration though - don't do what I did on mine.
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
don't do what I did on mine.
I can vouch for that, Instead it would be good to follow what he is about to do/doing on his car now!!
Old 5th September 2008, 09:34   #8
BHPian

Someone tell me if this engine is orignial or OHV?

What type of engine please?
a)Sidevalve
b)OHV
Attached Thumbnails
Wish to care for my 52 year old friend.-phpvg36rbam.jpg  

Old 5th September 2008, 11:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56landmaster View Post
What type of engine please?
a)Sidevalve
b)OHV
a) Sidevalve

Congrats - people like Karl would kill for that engine.
Old 6th September 2008, 19:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a) Sidevalve

Congrats - people like Karl would kill for that engine.

Ungill!!!! Enne maranno??
Old 7th September 2008, 21:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You should be able to find quite a few of your requirements in India, and those that arent available here can be sourced from the Morris Oxford & Cowley club in the UK (also referred by anjan). I'm getting the steering wheel, the center meter console, switches and some other stuff from them for my '55 Land.

If you want an OHV engine, I have an extra piece - which came with the car Karl bought for me (not sidevalve, but OHV). It is butter-smooth.

You really should speak to Anjan (who is also from Cal/WB if I'm not mistaken?)
Thanks Karl and Steriod for identifying me with the Great Landmasters. Steriod I am based at aapla Nagpur and not in WB/Kolkata though I go there often. I have pm'md 56 Landmaster who is based at Siliguri and have given him some hints. The 1956 Landmaster looks beautiful and will need some time to get restored back with the original components. Most of all, it has the original side valve engine. It should not at all be difficult for him to get this car back to its original glory. It needs a lot of patience. I think importing spares Steriod (you are based at Dubai)for any Indian citizen for an old car may be tough so I doubt whether MCOC, UK, may be of any help to 56 Landmaster.
Friends another great peice of news. Just back from a trip to Kolkata and Mumbai today- I could lay my hands on a fully original sealbeam Lucas-Made in England at Mullick Bazar Kolkata for my Landy. Will post pictures soon!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks