Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 10:39   #76
BHPian

Rubber Parts

Thank you gents for those lovely words of encouragement!

Just for information as I mentioned earlier on in my posts, all my rubber and embelishment parts are from England or Italy or USA.

Its unfortunate but locally you dont get the ultimate quality parts that one looks for in an open budget restoration.

If you guys want something let me know and I will order it through my guy who sources everything for me. As I told you he is not very literate but very knowledgeable and has contacts in London who source and send the parts to him and he gets them in for me. His prices are very reasonable as well.

Since I am assembling my machine myself, I will work on it over the weekend and send more pics shortly.

Keep watching the goodies now coming out of my year old stock collection for my machine.

Cheers!
Old 14th April 2009, 19:10   #77
BHPian

Vibration Elimination on Lambrettas

Hi Team,

In the past couple of days a lot of you have asked me either via PM or E-mail on how to reduce or eliminate NVH on Lambrettas.

Here are some ways to do the same that I am sharing with you basis my experience with Lambrettas. If you are able to look after these points during a re-build almost 75% of basic vibration can be eliminated. What is then left is due to the inherent machine design and basic specs.

Vibration elimination:

There are various ways of eliminating vibrations in the scoot. Some of them are:
  • Ensure that all the frame weldings are strong
  • Ensure that the engine silent block bushes are renewed when you do up your machine
  • Use good quality imported rubber washers under the rear foot boards to leg mountings as well as between the footboard & stand cross member and footboad & front corss-member.
  • Ensure that your front fork bearings (2 nos - top & bottom) are renewed along with the bearing races. Renewing just the bearing is NOT going to solve the handle bar rattle and vibration
  • Ensure that your wheel rims run true and there is minimal runout or else wheel vibration / shimmy well get transferred into the main frame of the scoot
  • Ensure that the rubber bush on the rear shocker is new and rubber is supple so that it enables proper damping of shocks and vibrations
  • Ensure that the stand spring is in good shape and has adequate tension and that stand is mounted well
  • Make sure that the exhaust U bendpipe and silencer and silencer pipe are firmly mounted
  • Ensure that the rear mudguard is firmly mounted and that the Ignition Coil does not touch the rear mud guard
  • Ensure that the Petrol Tank Rubbers, Toolkit Beading and the Air Filter to Frame rubber gasket are in order and the rubber is supple and all nuts and bolts are firmly tightened
  • Ensure that the seats are mounted on the frame properly using the correct hardware and that the seat bung spring is in order
  • Ensure that the side panel buffers are in place so that side panel does not rub against the frame legs
  • Ensure that the side panel channel rubbers are in place and are supple and not cracked
  • Ensure that the rear brake pedal bush is in order so that the rear brake pedal does not wobble
  • Ensure that all the bearings in the engine are in order and there is ONLY specified play. Any increase in bearing tolerances in engine and wheels will lead to higher vibrations / wobbling and premature failure
  • Ensure tha the plastic bush kit in the headset is in proper order and there is no play in the same
  • Use proper rubber gaskets while mounting the horn cone, front mudguard and front legshield and use original fasteners and serrated washers
  • Make sure that the dicky lock when in locked position holds the dicky door firmly in place and does rattle
  • Ensure that the hinge of the fue filler door is not worn out and the door opens smoothly and sits tight when shut - this will ensure that there are no vibrations from the same when the scooter is running
  • Ensure that the rubber gasket on the fuel tank cap is in order and the same is turned around to lock it in place then it does not sit loosely
Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 14th April 2009, 23:05   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent tips, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Use good quality imported rubber washers under the rear foot boards to leg mountings as well as between the footboard & stand cross member and footboad & front corss-member.
Ensure that the side panel buffers are in place so that side panel does not rub against the frame legs
I would require these 2 items in that case!

Also the square plastic splash tray that site around the fuel filler, just below the lid, if you've got a spare. I was promised one, and kept waiting but turned out it's not there!
Old 15th April 2009, 10:51   #79
BHPian

Parts for you

Hey Stanher!

Thanks!

You shall have your parts my friend - you are lucky since I over-ordered for my scoot for the rubber washers while importing them.

Cheers!
Old 15th April 2009, 21:51   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some ways to do the same that I am sharing with you basis my experience with Lambrettas. If you are able to look after these points during a re-build almost 75% of basic vibration can be eliminated. What is then left is due to the inherent machine design and basic specs.
Thanks Saurabh! That was super-informative! I may need some rubber parts...will let you know ASAP.
Old 21st April 2009, 20:18   #81
BHPian

Update

Hi team,

More pics and updates from this weekend of hardwork.

Have completed teh installation of the fuel tank complete with the trunions and the straps and the rubbers.

Installed the Air filter box and the air scoop with the genuine imported air scoop rubber gasket in grey color.

The Rear number plate holder was installed using the 3 original innocenti spacers and stainless steel nuts and bolts. On top of this the number plate itself was installed using 4 stainless steel bolts with stainless steel nyloc nuts with spring washers.

Tried installing the spare wheel carrier but while tightening the 4th and final bolt the bolt snapped - half in the leg of the carrier and the other half in the box spanner. So had to dismantle the full spare wheel carrier and get the broken bolt drilled out at the workshop and the threads re-done.

One can just go on about the sad quality of nuts and bolts in India. Ask for stainless steel bolts and nuts and the shopkeepers look at you as if you have come out of a zoo!

But any way heres the progress!

Check it out.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02802.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02803.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02805.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02806.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02807.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2009, 18:23   #82

Beautiful, inspiring work. I have been following this thread for a little while, and the attention to detail and effort you are putting into this restoration is breathtaking. I've been a fan of the Lambretta since my teens, and owned a few… you're probably aware of the 'cult of the Lambretta' in the UK. Family practicalities and different financial priorities have ruled out scooter ownership for a while (original scooters have become quite expensive in the UK over last few years!), but I'm looking forward to the day I can swing my leg over the saddle again! The LI Series II is probably my favourite scooter of all time, and I may well go down the restoration route myself, although I doubt I will do as fine a job as you. Nice work fella, well done. I'm looking forward to your final assembly pictures!

Best regards, Joe.
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:06   #83
Senior - BHPian

Saurabh awesome is there a way i can just ship my scooter to you, there's just no way i can do better I still owe you pics of my scooter. But belive me this thread has totally converted me from a 4 wheel guy to a scooty person. lots to learn.

I dream Lambretta
Old 30th April 2009, 13:19   #84
VBS

Kudos To You!

Dear Saurabh,

I am indeed impressed by your practical knowledge on the Lambretta as a machine. It was indeed a pleasure speaking to you at length. You inspire great awe in me. I wonder how you can be such a knowledgeable yet such a humble human being. It would indeed be a pleasure to know people like you and have them for friends.

Watching your scoot in progress has been my favorite hobby and infact so much so that I have joined this forum inspired by the fact that I will have easy access to your updates.

As I told you my father had a machine long back similar to yours but it was given away to the local kabadi wala. Therefore now I am looking for a new machine and want to hand it over to you as discussed as a complete ground up restoration so that my family can benefit from your experience and knowledge.

I know you are going to look out for a machine for me but will also ask other Team Bhpians to do so as well. Please dont direct me to the brokers because they ask for an arm and a leg for these machines just because they have one but please put me on to those individuals who genuinely want to sell their Lambrettas.

Saurabh, in my opinion you should look at the option of starting a Scooter and Bike Restoration company in India - you are capable of giving the guys in UK and Itally a run for their money. I have seen many of these workshops overseas but NO ONE does a job on a DIY basis as thorough as you. I implore other members of this community to take lessons from you and would appreciate that you should start a technical assistance thread for the benefit for all.

I have shared the pics of your restoration and our conversation with a friend of mine who now wants to send his 3 bikes for restoration to you. We will be glad to offer you a fee that is commensurate with your experience and the tender loving care that you give to these vintage machines.

I can easily say that your Dad MUST be real proud of a son like you who is doing what we all can see for his first machine!

Indians like you are a dream come true in England and other parts of the world where you will get any sum that you may want for a job done like you are doing.

Let me tell you one thing - not all will appreciate and not all will respect the effort that you are putting in to the movement called Lambretta Should Not go out of India!

But I am my friends are proud to have a fellow Indian like you.

Jai Ho!

Vikram
Old 30th April 2009, 16:27   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBS View Post
I implore other members of this community to take lessons from you and would appreciate that you should start a technical assistance thread for the benefit for all.
Vikram, Saurabh is indeed THE most helpful and knowledgeable person here when it comes to Lambrettas. Be assured, that Stanher and myself have received a lot of invaluable advice. Saurabh is in fact like a mentor to me at least. He always has some great answers to the toughest as well as most trivial questions. His resto has been a huge inspiration to me. Keep up the awesome work, Saurabh!
Old 30th April 2009, 16:54   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Saurabh,

I've a query regarding the dimensions of the rear numberplate- is a chetak one of the same? Because, the guys who did up my scoot lost the original no.plate (atleast it looked original, although just had 3 fixing bolts) and no amount of searching could help them find it now!!

So I'll have to either buy a new plate or get one remade!
Old 30th April 2009, 18:58   #87
BHPian

NUmber Plate Holder and Number Plate

Hi Stanher,

The Number Plate holder and Number Plate are two different parts on the Li 150.

The Number Plate Holder has 7holes on it - 3 in the central part with indentations around them for mounting the Number Plate Holder itself on to the Main frame. 3 special spacers are put between the number plate holder and the frame and then the bolts are put from the outside through the Number Plate holder and the spacers into the frame where the nuts are tightened on the 3 bolts.

The 4 corner holes on the Number Plate Holder are used to mount the number plate itself on the Number Plate holder using 4 bolts. Refer to the pics that I am attaching now and the ones that I attached a week back to see how it is done.

If you are keen to have a set of the number plate spacers - well I have one set spare - let me know.

If you want the exact dimensions of the number plate - well it is the same size as the number plate holder - in case you want measurements - let me know.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-number-plate-holder.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02550-1.jpg  

Old 30th April 2009, 19:02   #88
BHPian

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Vikram, Saurabh is indeed THE most helpful and knowledgeable person here when it comes to Lambrettas. Be assured, that Stanher and myself have received a lot of invaluable advice. Saurabh is in fact like a mentor to me at least. He always has some great answers to the toughest as well as most trivial questions. His resto has been a huge inspiration to me. Keep up the awesome work, Saurabh!

Thank you gentlemen for those kind words.

I dont want to take the knowledge with me when I die - I want to see it in the machines on the roads forever.

So I share.

What good is knowledge that is not shared!

Thank you all for the kind words of recognition and encouragement.

Warm regards,

Saurabh
Old 30th April 2009, 20:15   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Stanher,
If you are keen to have a set of the number plate spacers - well I have one set spare - let me know.
If you want the exact dimensions of the number plate - well it is the same size as the number plate holder - in case you want measurements - let me know.
Yes please, for both!

If you could even fabricate a similar holder for me, well and good!
Thanks again!
BTW, one more thing- the Li no. plate isn't by any chance the same as the no. plate on the Vijai, is it? Mine seemed to have one of those, but I now suspect it couldn't have been an original Li one.
Another reason why Iam asking is because I've badly wanted to fit a st. steel numberplate surround on my scoot like this:

http://beedspeed.com/images/numberplate--ss.jpg

So if I end up buying this, I need to make sure it matches the dimensions of the plate fitted. This is mentioned as 17cm* 17cm.
Old 1st May 2009, 11:26   #90
BHPian

Number Plate

OK Stanher - you got the spacer!

Will try and get you the Number Plate Holder tomorrow.

In case you are getting the SS Number Plate Surround from Beedspeed then we will have to make the plate as the same size as SS Surround. Let the surround come and then make the number plate as it will have to fit in exact or it wouldn't fit. Number plate should be an easy one. Dont know if the Vijai is the same size. Will have to check.

Cheers!

Most Viewed