Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 18:05   #106
BHPian

tHANKS

Hi Hillram,

Thanks - even I am thinking how and when can I put my prodigies on this baby and take them for a joy ride!

Cheers
Old 27th July 2009, 18:09   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

With the meticulous attention to detail and surgical cleanliness this restoration is accompanied by, I simply cannot comprehend ever riding this machine - it would be criminal to muck up the undersides!
Old 27th July 2009, 18:34   #108
BHPian

Hi Karl

Thats something on my mind as well - how and when to ride this machine! But then the precision and cleanliness is required for concourse resto jobs and I dont want to compromise quality for time.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 27th July 2009, 20:01   #109
Senior - BHPian

WOW Saurabh. Just awesome. Where are you sourcing body hardware kits from? Are you using stainless steel ones? Also were the original side panel chrome badges Aluminum or chromed steel? Man I cant wait to get started on my machine. I agree with Karl where are you going to ride this beauty? I can see a future Lambretta museum comming up in Delhi

Do post brands of things like rubberised sprays etc which you are using for the inner side of your mudguards. It helps to record brands you prefer on your thread for posterity.

Again congratulations on all your babies and ones to come in the future.
Old 27th July 2009, 21:16   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely Saurabh! The more I see of your machine, the more admiration (and envy! ) I have for it!

BTW, did you get my pm regarding the numberplate base-plate?
Old 28th July 2009, 11:26   #111
BHPian

Stanher

Hi Stanher,

Thanks a bunch!

Your number plate base - I got it made twice but didn't like it so I have not updated you. I am again getting it done and if it doesn't happen I will try and source a new one for you.

Why dont you ask Sidman to get you one through his friend Arun. He may be able to help you with an actual one off a scoot.

My effort is going on in the meantime.

Other job is also progressing - :=)

Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 28th July 2009, 11:53   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
With the meticulous attention to detail and surgical cleanliness this restoration is accompanied by, I simply cannot comprehend ever riding this machine - it would be criminal to muck up the undersides!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Thats something on my mind as well - how and when to ride this machine! But then the precision and cleanliness is required for concourse resto jobs and I dont want to compromise quality for time.
Perhaps you didn't understand what I wanted to say. Quality is top notch no doubt, time is not the concern. Care and attention to detail is so good that it would pain me if you ever did start using the machine. The insides are clean enough to eat out off, show quality. Using it would destroy the virginity of it.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:57   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
WOW Saurabh. Just awesome. Where are you sourcing body hardware kits from? Are you using stainless steel ones? Also were the original side panel chrome badges Aluminum or chromed steel? Man I cant wait to get started on my machine. I agree with Karl where are you going to ride this beauty? I can see a future Lambretta museum comming up in Delhi

Do post brands of things like rubberised sprays etc which you are using for the inner side of your mudguards. It helps to record brands you prefer on your thread for posterity.

Again congratulations on all your babies and ones to come in the future.
Thanks Mole!

I told you that I will go to any length to make this by one of the best restorations ever on a Lambretta and keep it to original specs which is why I am not even upgrading the electricals to 12V and retaining the standard 6V system.

The hardware kits are all imported from England and Itally and are all stainless steel. I dont want to spoil the resto by using standard iron products as they will rust over a period of time and leave blemishes on paint and other parts.

I will start posting pics of the material that I am using such as spray's etc. so that people can benefit from it. Most of the material is imported - am going in for the best in my opinion.

Come on now - its time you started on your resto.

Wait till you see my badges and other stuff come on. Its all original Innocenti material - no aftermarket remakes or fakes. If it aint go no Innocenti original logo its not on my machine - check out the Gearbox end - plate - even thats now the original Innocenti plate. All gears are original API that I managed to find in an Old Godown of an erstwhile API Dealer (he was kind enough to let me rummage through it) The Clutch Bell is also original API. The Layshaft, Cluster Gear Bush are all genuine SIL. Chain is genuine Rolon which I got in its original packing. The Lower Chain Guide is steel bird and upper chain guide is a nylon guide for high performance engines from Scooter Restorations, UK. The entire clutch system is from Surflex Italy. The Crank is a genuine API Crank which I found in the same godown. The piston is USHA and the rings are mahle.

All the bearings are FAG or SKF and all needle bearings are Shaefler/INA, Germany. All the oil seals are ROLF - original suppliers to Innocenti.

The Packings are all Banko Royale - OE Suppliers to API in India and bonded using genunine SUZUKI BOND.

All high torque nuts & studs sealed using LOCTITE 242 threadlock liquid - you can see the blue colored liquid in the picturesof the gearbox end plate below.

All the engine chain case studs are genuine parts from Scooter Restorations, UK. They have been chrome plated.

The kick start bush are Scooter Restoration, UK bushes and the kick stop is original Innocenti Italy.

The coil is DUcati Itally original so is the electrical hardware that goes in along with it.

All oils are courtesy Valvoline who have been kind enough to send me the oils on a gratis basis for this high involvement resto work.

The special high temperature grease came in from a grease exporter in Manesar. He exports it under various brands and is perhaps the best. He has been kind enough to send this on a gratis basis for this project.

All cables are Friction Free Nylon Inner Lined Imported Cables.

Original Innocenti engraved CEV headlight glass has been brought in mated to the genuine lambretta H/L Rim.

All rubbers are imported from Italy.

All gearbox shims have comein from England as they are available in different thicknesses in England. So while fitting the gearbox you can choose the one with the correct thicknesses as Innocenti was very very particular about shim thicknesses which help you fix the correct spacing between the end plate and the top shim on the top gear. Same goes for the shim that goes under the rear sprocket.

All paint is PPG and so are the chemicals and other primers used under the paint.

Will share more as we go along.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03058.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03059.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03032.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc02986.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03063.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03013.jpg  

Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project-dsc03010.jpg  

Old 28th July 2009, 12:16   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Perhaps you didn't understand what I wanted to say. Quality is top notch no doubt, time is not the concern. Care and attention to detail is so good that it would pain me if you ever did start using the machine. The insides are clean enough to eat out off, show quality. Using it would destroy the virginity of it.
Hey Karl - I completely understand your statement and I echo it.

Even I am wondering how often I would be able to use this machine.

Actually my plan is to take it out once a month on a sunday when its nice and bright and sunny and use it on the main roads only and then park it again.

Take it for autoshows and bike shows and then let it be the cynosure of all eyes.

I particularly like what you say about the "Virginity" of my machine. very strong sentiment and I completely share it my friend!

Cheers!
Old 28th July 2009, 12:45   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This is bloody awesome, Saurabh! Mods, excuse the unparliamentary language...it is required, in this case! I too have the same request as Amol...specially the rubberized spray for the mudguard undersides. Please give me more details about the brand of rubberized spray, as I want to use it on my scoot too.
Cheers and ,
Sidman
Old 28th July 2009, 12:51   #116
BHPian

Hey Sidman! Thanks for your appreciation mate!

I will try and take the picture of the rubber spray and post it tonight.

Feel free to ask me for other sources and materials and consumables. Will be happy to be of help!

And thanks for the that thumbs up mate!

Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 28th July 2009, 14:00   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sidman! Thanks for your appreciation mate!

I will try and take the picture of the rubber spray and post it tonight.

Feel free to ask me for other sources and materials and consumables. Will be happy to be of help!

And thanks for the that thumbs up mate!

Cheers!

Saurabh
Mind blowing retoration and attention to detail. And then the use of OEM Parts, not even repro wow.

Also tools and supplies that u have used for the resto will hold equally good for cars also. Will be a good guide for others.
Old 28th July 2009, 14:25   #118
BHPian

Hey Manish!

Thank you for your appreciation - this is what keeps me going on with all the energy and focus on this one.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 28th July 2009, 21:25   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mole!

I told you that I will go to any length to make this by one of the best restorations ever on a Lambretta and keep it to original specs which is why I am not even upgrading the electricals to 12V and retaining the standard 6V system.

Come on now - its time you started on your resto.
I believe you when you say you will go to any length, I am waiting for the monsoon to end before I take up this task. Besides which I have a given a huge list of parts to my parents who are in Europe at the moment and I will wait for them to get me back the parts I need to start the job.

Will keep you posted about what they actually bring back.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:01   #120
BHPian

Hey Mole - wish you all the success in your resto job!

By the time they bring back the parts why dont you start with dismantling the scoot, inspecting the parts and chassis and correcting / repairing things.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks