Team-BHP - Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Lambretta Series 2 1968 Restoration Project (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/47211-lambretta-series-2-1968-restoration-project.html)

As I had announced some time back I am embarking on the restoration project of my 1968 Series 2 Lambretta.

The level of restoration is Concourse for which of course I have had to procure parts from England and Italy - all genuine parts.

I will be posting pics and articles on this restoration project for those who are interested.

Cheers!

Am attaching pictures of some of the parts imported from Italy and England.

Also attaching pictures of the shade plates of the orginal lechler color codes re-developed very kindly by APPG India in Deltron codes - have asked them to help with 2k applications now.

Cheers!

Will keep updating this space.

Do either a Red and White combo or a green and white combo. And Damn thats a lot of parts. Also, can we have some pictures of the scooter please.

Hey Cyrus - you are absolutely correct on the color schemes - am planning to do a green and white as thats what this machine originally came with when my dad bought it in 1968!

Scooter pics very very shortly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SA7VA5 (Post 1009987)
As I had announced some time back I am embarking on the restoration project of my 1968 Series 2 Lambretta.

The level of restoration is Concourse for which of course I have had to procure parts from England and Italy - all genuine parts.

I will be posting pics and articles on this restoration project for those who are interested.

Cheers!

Hi SA7VA5. Nice to know that you are restoring a Series 2. I am restoring
a Series 1. I have also obtained some parts from England. Could you please PM part resources and I will do the same. as it may be mutually beneficial.
All the best in your restoration.
I am posting unrestored pics of my Series 1.

Here are the pics of my dad's machine that goes into restoration this weekend with all the parts and paint collected over last 6 months. I had restored it from its previous condition in 1996. But then during the construction at my house this machine got neglected and damaged and ofcourse the previous restoration was commensurate with the spare money I could afford to put on it.

This time its concourse!

Watch this space for the development during the project.

Cheers!

Best wishes to you for restoration.
cheers:
Machine still look in a good condition.

Thanks mate!

Wait till its ready this time!

Here Are Some Pics Of The Machine Under Restoration Now. Enjoy!

Cheers!

Team BHP

Here's an update with Pics.

The Machine has been completely stripped of all components except engine - which allows rear wheel movement.

New tubes have been put in the tires in the front and rear tires and now the machine is just a rolling chassis ready to get into denting and painting.

Denting will now be done with the finest of details to ensure that the body work is in pristine condition.

Once the denting is over the entire machine will be re-assembled to ensure that every nut and bolt fits properly and after ensuring that everying is done properly the machine will be stripped again and put into painting. Green and white from APPG using original Lechler Paint Codes will be painted.

Cheers and keep watching out for more.

Ciao!

@Sav: Nice. This brings back memories. My dad had the exact model Lambretta too. But unfortunately sold it and the last i saw of it, she was sold for Rs 200 as junk by the last owner. It was in single tone grey colour.

Is this a DIY project? I can see a nice tool box on the side. If it is, you will enjoy every moment of this restoration.

Best of Luck in your restoration. I can see that it will come out really great. :)

Yes this is a complete DIY project except for Denting and Painting that will be outsourced.

I can understand your nostalgia as this machine too came close to being sold off by my mom for Rs. 800/- but my intervention and perseverance paid off.

Yeah thats my prized tool kit on the side - have built it up over the years. Many mechanics and experts who have seen it always envy it!

Thanks for your good wishes. Will keep all of you posted on the developments.

Cheers!

Hi,

The machine has been packed off for denting and painting now.

Work on in full swing on parts restoration and upgrade.

Pics of the restored Magneto Dust Cover and buffed Carb.

Other parts now under restoration.

Cheers!

Hi,

The scooter is completely dismantled and undergoing restoration job down to the minutest of details.

The panels have been scraped to remove all paint and primer and denting is on at the moment. Each bolt hole is being filled up and recreated in the correct location, size and shape to accomodate original nuts and bolts. No oversize nuts and bolts are being used - everything is standard.

Post denting each panel is being sent into sand blasting for even satan finish on the bare metal. Every body crack has been welded with the correct metal type and machine is now in the clean up stage.

Original Lechler New White shade has been purchased in 2 coat formulation and a modified British Racing Green has also been purchased along with High Build High Solid Clear Coat of PPG that has a lasting gloss and added protection has also been purchased.

Rusted areas are getting the Phosphoric acid treat that eats away rust and leaves a desirable phosphate coating on the bare metal.

The kick starter has been reshaped to ensure that damage over the years has been taken away and the part has been sent for chrome plating.

Seats have been sent for leather wrapping in Italian style stitch.

New Rear Shock Absorber of the Original Spec has been sourced with Chrome Springs and black painted body.

The original bend pipe of the exhaust is being fabricated now in Stainless Steel to ensure that no corrossion takes place now and the Exhaust Muffler and Tube itself is being specially fabricated in Stainless Steel.

Its getting more exciting by the day!

Wow, this looks awesome! This is exactly how I wanted to restore my lambretta! Give the whole body an antirust treatment.

BTW could you let me know if this phosphoric acid is available in other cities as well? Any pics. of the container in which it comes?

Also it'd help better if you could upload the actual size images here as the extent of the work done can be seen more clearly.

And if I might ask, how much did the fabrication of the bend pipe and muffler cost you? I'm considering doing the same for my scoot.