Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 11:54   #46
BHPian

A replacement order has been issued by the RTO yesterday. This means that the permit can now be used with any other vehicle. The present vehicle will be decommisioned latest by Dec. 3, 2008

I have been trying to get in touch with Speedy's contacts to see if I can revert to the original number.

There was another 1957 taxi on this forum being restored. Any ideas if the owner is planning to retain the number?

Also, the original paint in this car was black. Personally I do not like black, but will look for something close enough.

BTW, this completes my 150th post on this forum!

Last edited by abdriver2000 : 26th November 2008 at 11:58. Reason: 150th post
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:43   #47
BHPian

I have not been able to follow up in the past week due to the incidents in Mumbai. I am still not able to establish contact with the person suggested by Speedy.

The cab goes off the road tomorrow.

Someone has told my dad that even if we get it converted to a private vehicle, we will not be able to drive it in Mumbai. I doubt if that is true but it has got my dad very worried.

I really don't know how to go about this now. Please help me!
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:18   #48
BHPian

No responses :(

The caretaker friend has also lost his only source of income from today. I am searching for an OMNI in the price range of 1-1.2lacs. It should not be more than 5 yrs old. I have searched on Carwale and Sahiauto but could not find any good deals.
Old 4th December 2008, 11:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
No responses :(

The caretaker friend has also lost his only source of income from today. I am searching for an OMNI in the price range of 1-1.2lacs. It should not be more than 5 yrs old. I have searched on Carwale and Sahiauto but could not find any good deals.

Very sad and unfortunate, but this was expected sooner or later.

Any news of the Goverment petition ? If they fail to do so, cabs can get back on the road.

For the Omni part, I will try too.
Old 4th December 2008, 12:49   #50
BHPian

Dear AB,

I just read the entire thread today and trust me you have brought me to tears. I know the attachment that a person can have to a car, especially a bawa(being one myself). I cried the day i had an accident in my dads 17 year old M800 so i can imagine the emotions attached to restoring your car

All i can say is my wishes are with you and please do keep us posted on the progress on the car.

Cheers,
Perez

P.S: needless to say, the car has been maintained immaculately in true bawa style All the best.
Old 4th December 2008, 15:49   #51
BHPian

Kavesh: What is this Govt. Petition? I have no clue about this
Perez: Thanks for the wishes. It is the support of team bhp people that is helping me pull through these difficult times.
Old 4th December 2008, 17:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

That is sad to hear Ab. I had sent you a Pm with the persons mobile number. Did you get it. There would still be a way to transfer the car to a regular car for sure. I am sure there would be many people trying to do this and keep the car on the road or sell it to smaller towns.
Old 5th December 2008, 10:26   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
That is sad to hear Ab. I had sent you a Pm with the persons mobile number. Did you get it. There would still be a way to transfer the car to a regular car for sure. I am sure there would be many people trying to do this and keep the car on the road or sell it to smaller towns.
Speedy: Can you please send the number again. I have not received it yet. I have been calling the WIAA landline numbers but he is always on the field it seems.
Old 5th December 2008, 11:02   #54
BHPian

Kavesh: Is this the PIL you were talking about?

Heartbreak as taxis sell as scrap for 12K
Old 5th December 2008, 17:11   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Kavesh: Is this the PIL you were talking about?

Heartbreak as taxis sell as scrap for 12K

No, the state goverment had to reply to a PIL, stating what is the other alternative available for the cab drivers rendered jobless.
Old 6th December 2008, 17:54   #56
BHPian

The PIL hearing has been postponed to 11 Nov.
Old 8th December 2008, 11:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The PIL hearing has been postponed to 11 Nov.
They are testing your and our passions Yaar!!!
Old 8th December 2008, 13:07   #58
BANNED

Hey,

There are so many yellow boards getting transferred as white boards in Bangalore.

If its an old vehicle and if its a taxi, you can convert to private and get a new number, atleast you get to retain the vehicle.

If its a new car and also a taxi, you can convert them back to private with a new registration number, but you need to pay taxes as per new car registration.

See something like the above can be done.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:55   #59
BHPian

I just got off the phone with Speedy's referred person.

According to him, the RTO is only providing new computerized numbers and they are simply not ready to dig old records.

What this means is that no MRZ or MRR numbers but only MH-01 series, even though I have my old RC books.
Also, there is some confusion about plying on city roads. This is the second time someone has told me that the car won't be allowed to travel within city limits.

I asked him what would happen to all the vintage cars or the Fiat Club cars in that case but the response was too confusing.

Now I have 2 options:
1. Wait for 11 Dec. If things go in favor of taxi union, then continue with the taxi as of now.
2. If things go against me, then get it converted to a new number after 11 Dec. I will only do it if the car is provided with a fitness certificate for Mumbai city. That way, I will get to keep the car if not its original number.

Old cars are being scrapped for as little as 9-10K. If I can rescue this one, I will have road worthy car for about 20K, and a lot of blessings from my dad!

PS: I am still looking for an OMNI for our family friend. He is out of his only job. I asked him to drive my car for a few days until some arrangements could be made, but he offered to do it for free, out of respect towards my dad.

Rupesh: Did you mean patience or passion? Actually they are trying both.
Old 19th December 2008, 13:25   #60
BHPian

Guys,

Looks like there is not much hope left for this car. Even if I settle for a new number plate, the car will not be allowed to run on city roads.

In that case, it makes no sense to do a restore, since everyone knows that cars are made to run.

The court case is still dragging, few days at a time. At max, it may allow 3 more months to find another vehicle. My man is making one last trip to the RTO today to find out if there is any tiny ray of hope.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks