Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2008, 15:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I wanted to comment on this thread when it first appeared, but that time I had not signed up, I was tied up and Karl may have been trying to nudge me to sign up as he was taking time to put up some of my posts. He did the right thing.
A few days before Cyrus posted this I was introduced to Mr. Sam at a tyre shop. After introductions about me being a car guy, Sam told me that he has just picked up a convertible Chevy 1959 from Hyderabad Estate off Napean Sea Road and also has a Saab with him. I told him that the Chevy was from Napean Sea Road, it has consequetive digits in the registration and it was red in colour. He said no, not the same car and there is no number. Then I told him that the Saab has either come from gujrat , was red in colour or it was lying in Naaz Cinema compound. He confirmed that the car came from Gujrat. It was offered to me about 8 years ago. Sadly, the Saab in Naaz Cinema got scrapped in Chor Bazar.
From the tyrewallah I went to my friends garage and I told him about this conversation. He told me that he saw this car being towed and the cops stopped it for some reason, the towing fellow was also called back, some trouble had taken place. Naturally I wanted to establish the identity of the car Mr. Sam spoke about and made a call to a friend of the owner whom I also know but am not in touch. It turned out to be the same car. And for the number, you can see the pictures. SO draw your conclusions.
This 1959 Chevy Impala convertible is a one owner car, direct import left hand drive, but 6 cylinder. Now the sons, two brothers own it. Our mechanic had done the mechanical work around 5 years ago and then the owners lost interest. So probably some brake work may have come up. This car will most likely never be sold, and hopefully the owners will complete the restoration this time. The car is indeed from Napean sea Road and I have known about this car since at least 25 years. I had to buy another one since this was not comming.
This particular model is the most iconic of these Chevy's and we all die to have one. A couple of years ago one such Chevy travelled from Kashmir to a collection in Bhubaneshwar. There must be more 59 Chevy convertibles, please inform. So far three.
Harit, I have seen one '60 convertible[original] standing in a garage in Pune. Part work was done and then the owners lost interest. Also red in colour. Not for sale.
Old 17th December 2008, 16:52   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Harit, I have seen one '60 convertible[original] standing in a garage in Pune. Part work was done and then the owners lost interest. Also red in colour. Not for sale.
Was that at camp/east street? If im not mistaken, that car has been completed, now deep blue, and part of a big collection in Bombay.
Old 26th December 2008, 01:19   #33
BHPian

Here's a nicely restored Impala
Attached Thumbnails
My evening with an Impala......-image078.jpg  

My evening with an Impala......-image076.jpg  

My evening with an Impala......-image077.jpg  

My evening with an Impala......-image080.jpg  

Old 1st December 2009, 11:40   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend recently sent me these pictures of a freshly restored and beautifully accessorised 1959 Chevrolet Impala in Bombay. I remember the car in Pune (I'm sure Ram will too, he had written an informative post on the same), but the look is now totally transformed, especially with that continental style spare wheel kit.
Attached Thumbnails
My evening with an Impala......-001.jpg  

My evening with an Impala......-002.jpg  

My evening with an Impala......-003.jpg  

My evening with an Impala......-004.jpg  

My evening with an Impala......-005.jpg  

My evening with an Impala......-006.jpg  

Old 1st December 2009, 13:44   #35
BHPian

My pic of the same car, theres a Hindustan 10(i think) and another old car(not sure what, as it was covered) parked nearby, probably belong to the same person.

This car used to be at a garage near Lilaviti Hospital a little while ago.
Old 1st December 2009, 13:48   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
My pic of the same car, theres a Hindustan 10(i think) and another old car(not sure what, as it was covered) parked nearby, probably belong to the same person.

This car used to be at a garage near Lilaviti Hospital a little while ago.
It is owned by the garage near Lilavati.

The cars in the next compound are a Hindustan 14 and Austin 7 sedan. I think MRG and GJA respectively.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
It is owned by the garage near Lilavati.

The cars in the next compound are a Hindustan 14 and Austin 7 sedan. I think MRG and GJA respectively.
Karl, You will remember this was one of the 2 cars we picked up from BUB. Unfortunately the person who took this car sold it off, and now see what a beutiful car its transformed into. Offcourse at a very high cost. The conti kit alone costs $2500 there in USA.
Old 1st December 2009, 17:50   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Karl, You will remember this was one of the 2 cars we picked up from BUB.
Absolutely, here is the car when we had seen it in Pune, with our very own Ram standing by it.

My evening with an Impala......-01.jpg
Old 1st December 2009, 21:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a lot of people went to see these 2 cars at BUB, I was also in the reckoning had to let go because of parking issues.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:48   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Looks like a lot of people went to see these 2 cars at BUB, I was also in the reckoning had to let go because of parking issues.
Is that car up for grabs?

Please do let me know, a very dear friend is on a lookout for a 1963 Impala.
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

I made contact with the owner and he said he wants to keep her since he sold off his '65 Impala a year back!! But ..... If someone offers a fancy price he would sell her. Fancy could be 20 lacs +.
Infact I am considering selling my '60 if someone pays a Fancy price. Since I also will face parking problems sooner or later.
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

My friend at that time this car was in pair with scoobys biscayne, when i went to check them out unfortunately at that time there was a andolan against me and my cars in my building and I had to let go. I regret this to this date.
Old 6th December 2009, 15:30   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some more pics of the 59 Impala under discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
My evening with an Impala......-01.jpg  

My evening with an Impala......-02.jpg  

My evening with an Impala......-03.jpg  

Old 19th December 2009, 11:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are some more pics of the 59 Impala under discussion.
Would anyone like to see how the car looked before she was worked upon? These pictures were taken in the country side, about 12(?) years ago, then she went to Nagpur, Pune, wherever and now in Mumbai. The transformation is amazing. And yes, this is positively the very same car.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
My evening with an Impala......-chevy-impala-59.jpg  

Old 19th December 2009, 11:51   #45
BHPian

this is outstanding restoration work done, wish I could be the owner.... Where I can get a good vehicle to restore ? Any ideas in around delhi ?

Most Viewed