Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2005, 14:29   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal
not too sure what SL this was i just fell for it though. can u give a link or add a pic here ajmat please
w107 built between 1972-1989
Old 4th April 2005, 17:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Seen this car many a times, but I've never ever got to take pics of it. Will try my level best next time I see it. The car is in top condition and is restored perfectly. Low suspension, wide tyres, that huge Merc logo, splendid!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablywacky
and if i am not wrong this car is stationed somewhere near reclamation in Bandra.
You are not wrong its from Bandra.
Old 5th April 2005, 22:16   #18
ken

Wow... she looks beautiful.... nice pics man!
Old 7th April 2005, 23:42   #19
BHPian

hey did sum1 say they see it in lonavala.If thats true then its most probably fali dhondy's car.hes got quite a collection includin a really old rolls royce.has a ferrari 308 gts which he uses in lonavala
Old 17th August 2006, 15:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

the white 190 is sam katgaras...a regular feature at the rallies...shes a beaut...as is this recently restored similar 190sl...legend has it that this was gifted by mercedes to nehru...she used to sport the display plates "190 SL" till recently i recall...snapped her at this years VCCCI rally in bombay...

Old 17th August 2006, 15:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

and this is fali dhondys fab merc 230sl...also a regular at the rallies, she recently did a bombay to delhi event if im not mistaken...

got these pics a few years back at a lonavala rally

and i shot this lovely merc from bombay at the pune rally 04...

Old 14th December 2006, 01:29   #22
BHPian

i keep hearing rumors of a gullwing in north india. there was at least one in delhi till the late fifties/early sixties,as my father distinctly remembers iseeing t. as he says, its not a car you can ever forget in your life. such is its visual impact
Old 14th December 2006, 08:53   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
i keep hearing rumors of a gullwing in north india. there was at least one in delhi till the late fifties/early sixties,as my father distinctly remembers iseeing t. as he says, its not a car you can ever forget in your life. such is its visual impact

greetings awini, welcome aboard...i too consistently hear rumours of a gullwing here, but down south somewhere...so we can all keep dreaming of a barn find all original preserved gullwing gracefully ageing in a farm somewhere remote....
Old 7th August 2007, 02:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

your right karlos this sl used to belong to nehru and then changed hands till it reached mr dossa and now is owned by mr kama.
there is a gullwing in india have seen the car personally so i can confirm it. cant reveal anymore details as the owner does'nt want it known for reasons best known to him. his father had bought the car from a priest in shillong.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:18   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
there is a gullwing in india have seen the car personally so i can confirm it. cant reveal anymore details as the owner does'nt want it known for reasons best known to him. his father had bought the car from a priest in shillong.
Ah, the plot thickens. I had heard this fascinating tale about a missionary priest being gifted a gullwing back in the day for some favours done, but he never touched the car after getting it. Give us some more details, however subtly you can.
Old 7th August 2007, 11:51   #26
Team-BHP Support

Gullwing alert rings again. Speedy you got to atleast tell us a part of India where the car is kept. Don't reveal anything else. Last we heard was that a Gullwing was lying in an open field buried half way.
Old 7th August 2007, 13:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

cant do that i'm under oath from the owner saw it at his wedding by mistake in the garage and had taken photo's too. he made me empty the roll, was heart broken but i had to respect his sentiments. his father paid a fancy amount in the days for the car. it was in cream with red seats. everything original. this my friends i talk about in 92 when i had seen it dont know its condition now
Old 7th August 2007, 13:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
cant do that i'm under oath from the owner saw it at his wedding by mistake in the garage and had taken photo's too. he made me empty the roll, was heart broken but i had to respect his sentiments. his father paid a fancy amount in the days for the car. it was in cream with red seats. everything original. this my friends i talk about in 92 when i had seen it dont know its condition now

Fair enough I suppose. To each his own. But in 92 the car was in good running condition you mean? Thats something!
Old 7th August 2007, 14:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great pics dippy and fantastic sighting
Speedy which part of India was the marriage you attended?
I heard about the gullwing somewhere in the south and the latest one was that some dealer in Delhi has picked it up for 16 lakhs... I died laughing as i know that this particular dealer has a penchant for telling yarns the size of which even the yarn manufacturers would envy.. all crap tough. I will believe it when i see it... about this one in the south that is. C'mon speedy where did you attend the wedding? where? where?

Last edited by V-16 : 7th August 2007 at 14:08.
Old 7th August 2007, 14:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

his father used to take the car for drives. my friend was not allowed to touch the car as he is rough in his driveing. it was immaculte his father had people from the mercedes old timer centre come down to service it with spares. in short karlos it was like kept in a showroom. the cars garage had marble flooring. need i say more

Most Viewed