Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2008, 20:10   #1
BHPian

1956 Fiat Millecento restoration and overhaul

Hey all, i have a 1956 Fiat Millecento 1100, lying around at my Lucknow residence. It has been quiet for almost a decade now. It belonged to my dear grandfather who passed away in 1999 and since then the car has not been started up. It used to be in perfect working order until then.
I was a little kid back then, spent many priceless hours being driven around in it by my pops (as i used to call him ), then some years later had to shift base to Delhi.

Its always in the back of my mind to get it up and running again. Do not want to lose those memories. And it would be a wicked moment to drive the car that i could not even reach the pedals of, in those days.

Tell me friends, what all would need to be overhauled in the car.

As far as i know its engine had been overhauled previously, so was the transmission.

Any information about good workshops which i can approach will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 8th November 2008, 23:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

For starters, u can post some pix so that we can get an idea about the condition of the car, Only then can we give u suggestions!
Old 8th November 2008, 23:42   #3
BHPian

Hi
All your car needs now is:
1> A new or good condition battery.
2> A checking/cleaning of points,rotor and condenser.
3> Overhauling of radiator
4> Replacement of radiator hoses.
5> Replacement of master cylinder,and slave cylinders if you want to drive immediately.
6> Replacement of engine oil,gearbox oil,and differential oil.
7> Complete washing and greasing of the car.
8> A thorough check up of the wiring for any short circuits.(Car can also be started by only connecting battery and mains to distributor.
9> Check up and lubrication of steering linkages.
10> Replacement of the old tires which would have succumbed due to dry rot.
Please feel free to call me if you need any assistance over the phone. My number is 09972596002. I will try to help you to the best of my ability based on my ownership of the fiats.
Goodluck best wishes for getting your vehicle to run.
Cheers
Jammy
Old 9th November 2008, 00:26   #4
BHPian

Hey thanks a lot MM440!!! Really means a lot to me man! yes i will do call you up sometime when i go over there and start work on it.

And JayD, i don't have any pics for now, but i can tell you that the body is in excellent condition, no visible rust anywhere. The tyres as MM440 has rightly guessed are all flat.

Can you tell me MM how much will all that cost me? And yes the last thing i remember is that it won't switch on, it could never be taken to the garage to get fixed again and then my grandpa got ill and time froze with the poor thing :(.

But you have certainly lifted my spirits MM! Thanks a lot man!
Old 9th November 2008, 11:57   #5
BHPian

I also found the thread about restoring the 1956 Fiat 1100 on the forum, but because i have to get mostly overhaul advice, i created the thread.
Will commence with the restoration sometime after its in good working condition again.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post
Hey all, i have a 1956 Fiat Millecento 1100, lying around at my Lucknow residence. It has been quiet for almost a decade now. It belonged to my dear grandfather who passed away in 1999 and since then the car has not been started up. It used to be in perfect working order until then.

Its always in the back of my mind to get it up and running again. Do not want to lose those memories. And it would be a wicked moment to drive the car that i could not even reach the pedals of, in those days.
So, any update on the project? If you share pictures of the car, gurus on the forum can advise you the appropriate course of action, and make a beginning.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear eternalck - please post some pictures of your car including the engine compartment / underfloor to enable us to give full comments. And please don't worry, our comments will be so comprehensive that you will be able to do exactly what we want, although we are sitting sitting 2000 kms away from you, we will remote control your operation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th November 2009, 20:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was a little kid back then, spent many priceless hours being driven around in it by my pops (as i used to call him ), then some years later had to shift base to Delhi.

Tell me friends, what all would need to be overhauled in the car.

As far as i know its engine had been overhauled previously, so was the transmission.

Any information about good workshops which i can approach will be appreciated.

Thanks
Its good to know that you've decided to restore your Fiat and put it back on the road.You have asked about mechanics in Lucknow. Its better to talk to classic car owners there (there are lots of them) as they will be able to tell you more about which garages are good for mechanicals, electricals, paint jobs and so on. Its better to go to mechanics who have been working on Fiats and there should be lots of them there. Sadly the old car mechanics are an endangered species which is dwindling. Fast cars mean fast money and so old car repairs are done satisfactorily by only a few. You say you're in Delhi ,so you can source parts from Delhi. The Mumbai market has lots of spares to sell, but one must have enough time to find them.
New tyres with tubes cost upto Rs 2000 each (MRF Legend). White wall tyres can be made to order and I'll provide their email ids(MRF Ltd) if you are interested.I got my white wall tyres in 2008 from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear eternalck - please post some pictures of your car including the engine compartment / underfloor to enable us to give full comments. And please don't worry, our comments will be so comprehensive that you will be able to do exactly what we want, although we are sitting sitting 2000 kms away from you, we will remote control your operation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Mumbai is famous for remote control that way Dhabhar. But with you and Cyrus around this 1956 Fiat should be able to see its glorious days back again.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th November 2009 at 20:44.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Eternalck,

Lucky you, even your Pull starter system works . The front and rear windshield rubber are available @ jadsons. for 1100 -1300 odd bucks.

AFAIK, you are also going with the Brake system of TVS Girling type, In that case can I have the Scrap brake system . Can I have your contact info?
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Any further updates on your car, cmon man high time you posted some pics.
Old 2nd January 2010, 20:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
New tyres with tubes cost upto Rs 2000 each (MRF Legend). White wall tyres can be made to order and I'll provide their email ids(MRF Ltd) if you are interested.I got my white wall tyres in 2008 from them.
I picked up a set last year from MRF here in Calcutta for my 62 Fiat 1100, a special order they said and the paper work was run through a local dealer who installed them.

Have had a few members here say that they an now discontinued which was confirmed by them. I asked if they would consider a special order if an quantity order would be placed and am waiting for MRF to advise me this Monday or Tuesday. I think my set came from Bangalore.

If not there is a U.S. company that makes a high quality "Porta-wall" product that looks great and are not that expensive F.O.B. their plant in the U.S. If MRF doesn't work out i will provide more information. I brought in a set for my friends 57 Chev hardtop and they fitted up very well.
Old 17th January 2010, 21:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also found the thread about restoring the 1956 Fiat 1100 on the forum, but because i have to get mostly overhaul advice, i created the thread.
Will commence with the restoration sometime after its in good working condition again.
Is the car restored or is it in the same condition ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks