Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Austin 8 in Kolkata

A scrapper I know called up yesterday about a "60-65 saala purana gaadi hai saab. Gol headlight wala, bonnet ke upar seeng hai". Turned out to be an Austin 8 saloon. The owner is not planning to scrap it, just wants said scrapper to act as intermediary.

Checked out the car yesterday. It had been lying for years on the pavement under cover. Interiors are ok, most original metering is retained. But the body is pretty dilapidated.

How much is the owner asking for it? 1 lakh!. I told him to bring his price down and look at 20-25K levels. He scoffed and said he's already refused an offer of 40K. Any takers?
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
How much is the owner asking for it? 1 lakh!. I told him to bring his price down and look at 20-25K levels. He scoffed and said he's already refused an offer of 40K. Any takers?
If the car isnt too bad and with only minor stuff missing, 40-45k would be a good price IMHO (not that I'm interested btw!)
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
If the car isnt too bad and with only minor stuff missing, 40-45k would be a good price IMHO (not that I'm interested btw!)
Most of the meters and interiors are intact. But the body is pretty screwed up. My opinion is if the owner had to leave it on the pavement for years, he better have done it without putting a cover on it. Obviously he inherited it as an heirloom or something and has no emotional interest in the car, only financial!

OT - I have a lot to answer to you dude. One PM coming up soon!
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you post some pics of this car to help people make up their minds on this.
Old 3rd September 2009, 18:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Exh-Austin-g!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Why don't you post some pics of this car to help people make up their minds on this.
Because:

1. The prospect of "60-65 saal purana gaadi, gol headlight" etc made me drive through half the city to the scrappers place at 10 PM, after office. (Stanher would recall my calls to him at outlandish times regarding the Pennant). Naturally I wasnt carrying a camera.

2. The car's exterior is really bad, and I mean really, really bad. Nothing to make up your minds here, except maybe to count the number of holes in the bodywork.

3. The audacity of the owner, and is being adamant about the price also pissed me off. That said, its his car, so maybe he had a right to be the way he was. Good that I didnt have to meet him, just dialled up and spoke on the phone.

Still, if anyone is seriously interested, I dont mind going down again in the day and taking some pics.
Old 5th September 2009, 01:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well i don't think its worth itand more over its not that desireable for paying even 40k for it since it is in bad condition the scrapper would pay him much less for it.But there is someone who believe in collectioning only austins and is known as "lord Austin" in the vintage car circle.Mayb you could ask him if he was interested.
Old 20th September 2009, 19:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks wasif for the information about cylinder placements. Some more pictures of this Austin 8 now in running condition.
This car has been sold by my friend to someone in Bhopal.My friend also had an 1950's Austin A 30 though not in a very original condition which was also sold to the same buyer.
So the new owner can be identified as "Two Austins And A Gentleman".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks