Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 14:31   #136
BHPian

Re: 1970 Jawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
Thanks Rahul! I somehow got the impression that it was in MPH (silly of me)...
Both speedos (well, the dials atleast) are pictured in this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1550903

The first one in the pic is the KPH meter that came on the Indian Jawas. The second is the older Czech version. The first one is what you need to keep an eye out for. And if you find two, I call the second

Hmm, Ramesh Thorat I dont know. I'm doing my Jawa work at Mane Auto Works on Tilak Road. Where's Thorat located?

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 26th June 2012, 14:37   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rahul! I somehow got the impression that it was in MPH (silly of me)...
Both speedos (well, the dials atleast) are pictured in this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1550903

The first one in the pic is the KPH meter that came on the Indian Jawas. The second is the older Czech version. The first one is what you need to keep an eye out for. And if you find two, I call the second

Hmm, Ramesh Thorat I dont know. I'm doing my Jawa work at Mane Auto Works on Tilak Road. Where's Thorat located?

Cheers,
Rahul

EDIT: Some server issue, my post is repeated. Mods, please delete this one!

Last edited by voodoochild : 26th June 2012 at 14:39.
Old 26th June 2012, 15:34   #138

I will try to get hold of two of those speedometers (the second for you, Rahul) -- hope it is not a wishful thought. I got the reference of Ramesh from the Jawa Club of India website (the website has been suspended for some time). He is on Nana Peth (phone +91-9823833387). Compared to the previous state of the bike, he has done a good cosmetic job - however, the real assessment will be when the bike hits the road. Perhaps, I will post some pics in July. I still need the following:
  • Rear shocks (got the Yezdi ones for now)
  • Chain cover (again Yezdi cover for now)
  • Speedometer
Old 11th July 2012, 16:58   #139
BHPian

Quote:
I will try to get hold of two of those speedometers (the second for you, Rahul)...
I still need the following:
  • Rear shocks (got the Yezdi ones for now)
  • Chain cover (again Yezdi cover for now)
  • Speedometer
Hey, any luck with your parts hunt? I might be able to help. I'm not able to PM or email you. Contact ASAP!

Cheers,
Rahul

Last edited by voodoochild : 11th July 2012 at 16:59.
Old 12th July 2012, 00:06   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Hey, any luck with your parts hunt? I might be able to help. I'm not able to PM or email you. Contact ASAP!

Cheers,
Rahul
Seems like the speedometer is on the way from Mysore and the rear shocks from Budapest (thanks to ebay). I still need the chain cover. I do not know how to PM you through Team BHP . Could you please drop me an e-mail at masoomparvez@gmail.com with your contact details? I shall call you after that.
Old 20th July 2012, 23:14   #141
BHPian

Dear Lotuseater,

Its Nice to read that you are restoring your jawa; i still get thrilled when somebody is working on there jawa/yezdis/Rk's.

Meanwhile the MPH :----> Miles per hour came with the Direct import Jawa bikes till 62; After that they were KPH the design of the DIAL was same insteal of 80 Max speed it was 140. Manufactured by Yenkay ( N krishnan Industries).
70 & post 70 came with the black dial with a RED COLOUR JAWA embossing below the center that carried on to the RK's with YEZDI embossing.

Everybody here has taken pain hunting , buying and buring there hands procuring spares and i am happy that you were able to get hold of some rare spares.

Thorat mama is a good mechanic; we all are waiting to see pics of your bikes pre and post restoration. Good Luck with it though!

Cheers!
Ranjit Shinde
Old 21st July 2012, 12:02   #142
BHPian

1970 Jawa-dsc003131.jpg

1970 Jawa-dsc00342.jpg

1970 Jawa-dsc00345.jpg.

Some pics for you guys . My current restoration project, 1969 Jawa being done for my friend Arjun. Will post some more when completed
Old 9th November 2012, 09:51   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Some pics for you guys . My current restoration project, 1969 Jawa being done for my friend Arjun. Will post some more when completed
Sir, if the bike is up and running, could we have some pics please?

My Jawa project ran into turbulence with painter, pinstriper etc. This weekend may be productive though.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 9th November 2012, 20:21   #144

Hi everyone,
This is my recent buy-a 1974 Jawa.
Would be great if someone could share your thoughts on it
Attached Thumbnails
1970 Jawa-jawa1.jpg  

1970 Jawa-jawa2.jpg  

1970 Jawa-jawa3.jpg  

1970 Jawa-jawa4.jpg  

Old 10th November 2012, 10:58   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greese Monkey View Post
Hi everyone,
This is my recent buy-a 1974 Jawa.
Would be great if someone could share your thoughts on it
Grease Monkey, nice bike you've got there! There seem to be some non-original bits on it, but then I'm just nitpicking. You've got the original handlebar, the large front mudguard, etc. Silencers seem to be in good shape too! But tell us more! How does she ride? Can you share your experience of finding and buying her?

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: In 1974, the Jawa came with triangular tankpads. Just that one year. See if you can find it somewhere.
Old 10th November 2012, 14:32   #146

Quote:
Grease Monkey, nice bike you've got there! There seem to be some non-original bits on it, but then I'm just nitpicking. You've got the original handlebar, the large front mudguard, etc. Silencers seem to be in good shape too! But tell us more! How does she ride? Can you share your experience of finding and buying her?

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: In 1974, the Jawa came with triangular tankpads. Just that one year. See if you can find it somewhere.

Thanks Rahul,
Yes the '74 model Jawas came with the triangular tankpads. However the existing tank doesn't seem to have provision for the tankpads. Is the tank a genuine '74 tank?
Also off late the bike seems to have some starting problems,the plugs and fuel lines are fine.Any idea what might be the prob?

The following are my impressions of the bike:-
1-There is no gear slip .But there seems to be some slapping like sound/behavior at lower revs.
2-When the engine is running,there seems to be a bit of air escaping somewhere near the fuel key.
3-The left silencer seems to be inefficient.The right silencer is the one that pumps out more exhaust and smoke!.Would a decarb solve this problem?
4-Seems to have the original paint job(non-metallic bottle green?).The vehicle needs a good paint job
5-The front brake is BAD,the rear brake seems alright.

ps: could anyone suggest a reliable mechanic in Chennai?
Old 12th November 2012, 18:47   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rahul,
Yes the '74 model Jawas came with the triangular tankpads. However the existing tank doesn't seem to have provision for the tankpads. Is the tank a genuine '74 tank?
Also off late the bike seems to have some starting problems,the plugs and fuel lines are fine.Any idea what might be the prob?

The following are my impressions of the bike:-
1-There is no gear slip .But there seems to be some slapping like sound/behavior at lower revs.
2-When the engine is running,there seems to be a bit of air escaping somewhere near the fuel key.
3-The left silencer seems to be inefficient.The right silencer is the one that pumps out more exhaust and smoke!.Would a decarb solve this problem?
4-Seems to have the original paint job(non-metallic bottle green?).The vehicle needs a good paint job
5-The front brake is BAD,the rear brake seems alright.

ps: could anyone suggest a reliable mechanic in Chennai?
Looks like you have the tank from an earlier model on your bike. you had best do a decarbonizing of silencer bend pipes and silencers to ensure that you get the best out of your engine. I will repeat what I have said many times in regard to Jawa's/Yezdi's and oils. Please DO NOT use a multigrade oil in your bike..either in the petrol premix or in the engine/g.b. Jawa recomends the use of SAE 50 monograde. Unfortunatly this is difficult to obtain now as only Veedol markets it as HDB 50.
If you can obtain a supply there is nothing like it. If not then use a 50/50 mix of SAE 90 and SAE 40 for the engine /g.b and SAE 40 in the premix.[premix is 50 ml oil to 1 ltr petrol]
Get brake linings checked and replaced as needed 60% braking should come from the front and only 40% from the rear.
get points set correctly as well as advance settings. The Jawa engine will run even if it is almost totally worn out so if your bike is not to bad after doing these small jobs you may not need to do a complete overhaul for some time yet.
Collector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 15:35   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rahul,
Most probably a replacement tank. The '74 tank is one of the most coveted items of the Jawa, I would suggest you carry on with the existing one.

Quote:
As Collector said, thoroughly check the points and ignition timing. Change the points set anyway.

Your queries answered (as best I could):

1) Could be either piston slap (bore-piston clearance exceeded limits) or a gudgeon pin noise (ticking sound?) Either case requires a re-bore in the future.

2) Strange. No fuel leaking? Is it really from the petcock? It could just be a tear in the choke rubber behind the carb.

3) Decarb the silencers (please don't let a fool mechanic BURN them from inside). Use a long flat rod, scrape the innards gently and thoroughly. DO the same for the bend-pipes as well. Makes a world of difference to the sound.

4) Shelve the paint ideas until the mechanicals are sorted out 100%. You dont want spanners nicking your shiny paint.

5) Scrub out the brake drums with sandpaper, renew brake shoes/liners, clean out the brake cams etc.

Follow Collector's advice with the oil. Do it yourself, mechanics will refuse to go through the trouble.

I've emailed you a contact in Chennai. He should be able to hook you up.

Cheers,
Rahul

Last edited by voodoochild : 14th November 2012 at 15:43.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 16:29   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Looks like you have the tank from an earlier model on your bike.
=============
The Jawa engine will run even if it is almost totally worn out so if your bike is not to bad after doing these small jobs you may not need to do a complete overhaul for some time yet.
Thank you for the advise on the oil sir.I'll see if i can find Veedol HDB 50.

Quote:
Most probably a replacement tank. The '74 tank is one of the most coveted items of the Jawa, I would suggest you carry on with the existing one.
=====================
Cheers,
Rahul
Thank you Rahul,
I shall take it to the mech and get everything checked/fixed hopefully during the Christmas holidays.I'm currently stuck with my semester exams

Regards,
Sashaank
Old 15th November 2012, 18:28   #150
BHPian

[quote=voodoochild;2961852.

3) Decarb the silencers (please don't let a fool mechanic BURN them from inside). Use a long flat rod, scrape the innards gently and thoroughly. DO the same for the bend-pipes as well. Makes a world of difference to the sound.

Just scraping the silencers and bend pipes may not be enough. Years of accumulated unburnt oil mixed with carbon can be stubborn to get out. I prefer to use a few ltrs of CTC [Carbon Tetracloride]. With the silencer mouth blocked pour in the ctc and let stand overnight. Thorougly swish the ctc around and pour out .{This waste ctc can be kept till dirt settles and then used again.} Repeat if necessary then get the silencers pressure washed in a 2 wheeler service station.This method will preserve the chrome and prevent thinning of the metal.
Collector is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks