Team-BHP - A truly lovely afternoon for Steeroid
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   A truly lovely afternoon for Steeroid (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/49505-truly-lovely-afternoon-steeroid-8.html)

Please!
Don't take out those white walls. I will not commit suicide though.

It won't be always pushed hard except when you're around I guess. You may keep an extra set of H rated radials for that purpose alone. May I suggest Advan Neovas? :p

From what has been described on this thread,using those tyres while Steer is driving is suicidal:). Function first, form later!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 1178410)
So yes the whitewalls will remain, but they will change to MRF Legend white-walled cross-plies from the skinny, ribbed MRF Twin-Treads that are currently on them.

Hmm, Im not so sure that MRF made whitewalls in Legend for 5. 20 - 14. Currently as far as I know the only whitewall for Fiat size available in the market is Twin Tread. That too god knows how long.

you will get goodyear power star in 5.20.14. but they donot come with white walls. have you tried ceat safety drives?

my padmini has GY GPS2 in 165/80 R14 - looks good and does the job. period

Oh by the way, I was quite taken aback to see ADJUSTABLE front seats on this vehicle - never thought bench seats could be 'adjustable'.

Other surprises included the Battery Switch, the cool under-RVM cabin light and the reading lamps and roof-mounted grab handles for the rear seats.

There's also a switch with an up and down control - it seemed like a sort of electrical advance/retard switch but it doesnt seem to do anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 1179169)
Oh by the way, I was quite taken aback to see ADJUSTABLE front seats on this vehicle - never thought bench seats could be 'adjustable'.

Other surprises included the Battery Switch, the cool under-RVM cabin light and the reading lamps and roof-mounted grab handles for the rear seats.

There's also a switch with an up and down control - it seemed like a sort of electrical advance/retard switch but it doesnt seem to do anything.

All bench seats of all Fiats are front/rear adjustable. Nobody ever uses the feature, the seats and lever get jammed at one position over time.

Battery switch I assume you mean cutout? They were very popular aftermarket fitments, I too will have them for all my cars. ORVM light was available till around 64, actuated either by door switch or manually. I think grab handles too dissapeared around then.

There are atleast 3-4 toggle switches (up and down). Perhaps it is the original wiper switch which beautifully centres once swithed off. Rarely work these days.

There are so many thoughtful touches throughout - the car had many premium upmarket features when launched, which kept reducing year by year.

Dear Steeroid - NOSTALGIA HERE - your mention of twin carburettor setup in a fiat. I had one and used to drive around very regularly when petrol was 5 rupees a litre (I am talking 1982/83. It was also fitted in MMD6300 which I used for the Himalayan Rally in 1982. It runs beautifully and you have to drive it to experience it. It will return around 7 kmpl. The best part is that I had it in my rally fiat MMY43 alongwith my piper camshaft and my car used to fly. I had to upgrade the brakes to be able to stop.

Now the clincher - I STILL HAVE THE MANIFOLD WITH ME AT HOME. THE CAMSHAFT IS IN MY 1964 SUPER SELECT MRY3112. I think I still have all the jets and venturies also. I will post pictures soon.

Great stuff. It would be worth converting one car.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 1179556)
Now the clincher - I STILL HAVE THE MANIFOLD WITH ME AT HOME. THE CAMSHAFT IS IN MY 1964 SUPER SELECT MRY3112. I think I still have all the jets and venturies also. I will post pictures soon.

Great stuff. It would be worth converting one car.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Hmmm. I can get the cams, not an issue. The question is - are you going to use your twin-carb setup?

If you arent and wouldnt mind selling it, please PM me. I dont really care about the mileage since this baby wont be driven around very often.

I remember these Fiats had a light on the dash that would go on when you were low on fuel, like a reserve light similar to what modern cars have today.

There also used to be a pull knob connected to the accelerator which when pulled would keep the car at a constant speed and one could lift ones leg of the pedal and relax. Kind of like a primitive mechanical cruise control system.

Threre was also a vent under the dash that could be opened or closed which would let fresh air into the car. There used to be a thick hose running from the firewall to the grill on one side of the radiator from where it drew fresh air.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasif
There also used to be a pull knob connected to the accelerator which when pulled would keep the car at a constant speed and one could lift ones leg of the pedal and relax. Kind of like a primitive mechanical cruise control system.

.. are you referring to the choke?? sounds like it

Quote:

Originally Posted by brat001 (Post 1180122)
.. are you referring to the choke?? sounds like it

Nope, besides the choke there was a facility for hand controlled throttle. I think the knob was marked "A". Most of these novelties were thrown out (including the ventilation system) the first time a car was painted or overhauled.

The ventilation system was always removed as its placement after time fouled with the distributor and HT wires placement.

Dear Steeroid - I appreciate your offer on the twin carburettor manifold but I would not like to part with the manifold ever. However, it is not at all difficult to make one. I will giude you shortly as I am pressed for time just now. Also, if you are going to fit an AC, it is imperative that you use the OE compressor mounting bracket and crankshaft pulley otherwise you will face lot of problems. Please PM me.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar