Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:47   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MRF 6466 at the Pune MASA Rally 23rd Sept 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Congratulations dear Behram and Cyrus. The picture of MRF 6466 with a super and gleaming bodyline at the Pune MASA event looks stunning. A wonderful FIAT 1100D to appreciate its professional resto and could be taken to another level with OE silver wheels (my humble suggestion) and hub caps (as Amol suggested). Cheers, Rony
Dear Rony - I am waiting for the rains to end, then the left hand drive goes for a full strip down restoration once again. I have a set of super select wheels which will go on the left hand drive. I will not paint the wheels silver because I just do not like silver wheels (they just look too bland and ordinary on any car, not only on Fiats), but I am OK with Millicento Cream wheels. With this wheel color, what color do I paint the car? Please think and let me know. The roll cage will remain, but it will get a black leather cover.

Some of my choices are - 1. Car in Maruti 800 Bayer Cream color (biscuit color) with black wheels and black B and C pillars. Then seats can remain black leather as they are now. 2. Car in shining non-metallic black color with Millicento Cream wheels but then I'll have to redo the seats in cream leather which is a big hassle to do besides cost. I can't have the car and seats both black. This is the reason why I paint the wheels black. I have clarified before also.

Dear Karthik - let's do the Belgaum trip in winter, it will be wonderful.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:22   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM
Dear Karthik - let's do the Belgaum trip in winter, it will be wonderful.
Dear Behram i too agree that silver wheels do not look good, hence my suggestion for black hubcaps on black rims, I genuinely think the car will look amazing.

Anyways as far as Belgaum goes how about Fiat and volkswagen club combo drive will be very good fun. Regards Amol
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:29   #138
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - We (my son Cyrus and I), took MRF6466 out of hibernation for the Pune Vintage Car Fiesta held on Sunday 16 September. This is what happened:
Great going Behram ji, your dedication to cars is amazing, we have a lot to learn from you take care and preserve ours.
Old 19th October 2013, 20:13   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all – after remaining in hibernation for one year, it was time to use MRF6466 all over once again. This time, the run was from Pune to Nasik (225 kms) where my restored Super Select MRY3112 was parked (in hibernation) for the last two years. The idea was to swap the two cars, MRF6466 moving to Nasik and MRY3112 moving to Pune. So, the preparations started for “operation swap” on Sunday 13 October, this being my only day off.

The first job was to clean and start the car, fill some fuel and pump up the tires. As none of my hibernating cars have batteries in them (there is no point, they would just run down), I had planned and brought two batteries with me from Mumbai, where I have two un-restored and therefore normally used cars. So, on a rather warm Saturday evening, I removed the car cover, gave it a good wash with a sachet of Sunsilk shampoo (costs nothing, gives amazing results), connected one of the batteries, switched on the electronic fuel pump (all my cars are so equipped), waited for 5 minutes to fill the fuel pipes and the carburettor and cranked the engine. It started immediately and settled down to a muted roar, its usual trademark. I am very apprehensive of taking out my cars in the evenings when traffic is at its worst, so as not to take any chances. Took a small round inside my housing society, went to the friendly neighbourhood tirewallah just outside the society gate, pumped up the tires to 27 psi and parked it for the night. I decided to add fuel at one of the 24 hours open petrol pumps on university road in the morning. The tires seemed to be perfect after pumping them up with 32 psi last year; I had to actually let some air out.

The plan was to start from my house at 0430 hrs. Normally Pune / Nasik takes 4 hours, I planned for 5. Considering city traffic, I should be OK to hit Nasik at 1000 hrs. Considering 3 hours to clean, start and fuel MRY3112, I planned to start back for Pune at 1300 hrs, stop for a sumptuous Gujarati Thali (I love Gujarati food) at the motel in Sinnar at 1400 hrs, hit Pune by 2000 hrs due to higher evening traffic and reach my house by 2100 hrs. One of my very good friends was to accompany me on the trip. I was to pick him up at 0515 hrs at Chinchwad, a good 30 kms away from my house. I never travel out of any city without my complete tool kit. So I packed everything and kept it ready for D day! Set the alarm for 0330 hrs and hit the sack.

On D day, I started from my house at 0440 hrs. Drove slowly out of my society for the first two kms, hit the petrol pump, added 1000 rupees worth of fuel, saw the fuel gage settle down to a comfortable half tank level and set course on the old Pune Mumbai road towards Chinchwad. Picked up my friend at 0530 hrs and turned right at Chinchwad. We set course for the 4 lane Pune Nasik highway, turned left, paid Rs 25 as toll and then I started to push it. Slowly at first, then faster and faster, revelling in the smoothness of the drive, the feel of the thin steering wheel, the growling exhaust note, the “clack” sound of the gears engaging etc. It was poetry in motion all over again.

Soon the table top 4 lane road ended and we were on a typical two lane highway from Rajgurunagar onwards, all the way to Nasik Road. The time was 6 o’clock and it was still dark. The original Lucas TVS headlights did a brilliant job, illuminating the road ahead. We started overtaking trucks just like in the good old days, overtaking in 3rd gear and cruising in 4th gear. Daybreak happened somewhere before Narayangaon, it was very pleasant and quite cool. We saw villagers huddled near small fires, looking so cute! Ale Phata soon came and went (this is the junction from which you turn left to go to Kalyan via the famous Malshej Ghat, a road we use for all suspension set-up and handling exercises, it is one of the best roads in Maharashtra to test suspension performance). We had already covered 100 kms. With somewhat growling stomachs, we stopped for an early breakfast at the local Vithal Kamat Hotel. Two Medu Vada Sambar + two chai at Rs 140 were a shade too much but we weren’t complaining. The vadas were good, though! MRF6466 was the only car in the huge parking lot, the hotel was just opening!

From Kamats, we passed Guhaghar, crossed over into Nasik district and soon hit Sangamner, just 60 kms short of Nasik. The 30 kms stretch of road from Sangamner to Sinnar is a driver’s delight, full of gentle curves and ghats; the handling on curves up and down was perfect. MRF6466 still has the original 4 leaf Italian springs of 1967, made of tapering thickness towards the ends (beam of uniform strength), which is unique to Fiat 1100Ds only, these springs are not there on the Presidents / Padminis. Soon we crossed Sinnar, and then it was the usual chaotic traffic all the way upto Nasik, even though it was Dassera and a Sunday. We took the left turn at Nasik road signal, crossed Devlali (a very cute cantonment town, my all time favourite) and arrived below the new flyover at Pathardi Phata at Nasik at 0955 hrs. We reached MRY3112 exactly at 1000 hrs, exactly as per plan. We had covered some 225 kms. The fuel gage fell down a little from half and stayed there, the water temperature gage never exceeded 80 degrees C. Good!

So, we got down to “un-hibernate” MRY3112. We removed the cover, brushed off the dry dust, connected the second battery, switched on the electronic fuel pump, waited for a good 5 minutes to fill all the fuel lines and the carburettor and cranked the engine. It started immediately but this was not a muted roar. It was a trademark full blown growl. This engine has my rally stage 1 piper camshaft. A new neighbour was pleasantly surprised. He just could not believe that a car could just start after two years!

We took the car out of the garage. This is a very tricky parking spot, you need to reverse at least 5 times to get out and more than 10 times to get in and park. We parked the car in the sun, opened all the doors to give it some well deserved air circulation. We transferred all the tools and material from one car to the other, cleaned the garage floor and parked MRF6466 in it. It took us almost half an hour to park the car properly. The place is so small; you barely get clearance to pass the car cover between the rear bumper and the wall. The clearance between the bumper and the wall is actually only 5 mm. Even getting out involves some acrobatics! We removed the battery and carried it back in MRY3112.

Then, with MRF6466 safely dry, we gave MRY3112 a good wash. Thanks to my wonderful neighbour, we got pipe water to clean the car and also some delicious omelettes and perfect south Indian filter coffee. Thanks guys, hats off to you!

Well, now it was back from Nasik towards Pune. We once again added 1000 rupees worth of petrol from the Pathardi Phata petrol pump, filled air in the tires and started towards Devlali. The time was 1345 hrs, just 45 minutes delay from plan (but we got the omelettes, which was not in the plan)!

By the time we crossed the railway station bridge at Nasik road, the time was 1400 hrs. Gingerly avoiding the hustle and bustle of a crowded area near the railway station, we hit the Pune highway. We reached the Sinnar Motel at 1430 hrs, half an hour before the Gujarati Thali restaurant closes. We had a relaxed and sumptuous lunch, at 240 rupees a person, it was an absolute steal. The Dahi Wadas were simply divine. We freshened up at the hotel rest room and hit the road at 1530 hrs. Upto Sinnar, I drove slowly, but now the traffic had thinned out, so I started to push it.

This engine comes into its power band after 3000 rpm due to the camshaft. Below 3000 rpm, it delivers normal performance, you won’t feel anything special. We carefully passed a small traffic snarl-up in Sangamner, crossed Guhaghar and Ale Phata. We had planned to stop at Narayangaon for tea. We reached Narayangaon and had wonderful Masala tea at 30 rupees for two cups. It was very refreshing. The time was around 1800 hrs, we were having a relaxed drive and a wonderful time. Day gave way to night after Narayangaon. The German Hella Xenon Gas Discharge headlights of MRY3112 lit up the road, but they do not illuminate as well as I want them to. I am going to changeover to my tried and tested 140/110 watts bulbs with 84 strand specification Finolex wiring and two Bosch German relays, individual for each beam, high and low, fully taped and soldered! This is a must for full night driving which I always prefer over day driving.

We hit the 4 lane road at Rajgurunagar, passed Chakan signal with a loud growl (to admiring glances from local villagers, one guy on a Bullet was particularly impressed) and hit Chinchwad at 1945 hrs. My friend got off here, and then it was a very careful drive, all alone through the spine of Pune city all the way to my house. By the time I parked MRY3112 in my stilt parking, removed the battery, covered it and went home, it was 2100 hrs. I had covered 450 kms and never even felt it!

Whew, that was one hell of a drive which I shall always remember and cherish. What next? MRY3112 goes to Mumbai for a couple of days for the headlights. They have to be done because there is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way.

Then comes November. Be prepared for a surprise.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - my friend has taken some photographs, I'll try and post them shortly.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 20:40   #140
Senior - BHPian

WOW! MRF6466 and MRY3112 seem to be in perfect health. Only if I were to be @ University Road, Poona on Saturday. Could have seen 6466. Now only if my Fiat 1100D MMU5324 were to be as perfect as 6466 and 3112. Mr Dhabhar, I have a few questions-

1] Post an early morning cold startup, for how much time should a FIAT 1100 be idled?

2] Did the Padmini S1 really come with a Catalytic Converter? If yes, what would be the prices of a Catalytic Converter and a degassing tank respectively.
Old 20th October 2013, 11:26   #141
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir,

Incidentally we too owned a 1964 Italian Fiat and the registration number was MRY 3430. My father sold her just a couple of years back for a mere sum of 15,000/- (the only reason was that she was standing in our society compound and there was no space left for parking our other cars).

Please let me know whenever you are planning for a Nasik trip next time. I would love to meet you and the Fiat ofcourse !!
Old 21st October 2013, 23:38   #142
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir,

Never knew that yenkay made speedometers also for premier i thought it was PAL all the way. PUNE <-----> NASHIK drive is usually hectic as lots of crossing and small villages and thanks to the local bikers who think they are driving in there backyard and not on highway. It takes close to 4 to 5 hours to complete the drive if you start late in the morning after days break great that you started early morning. Also you could have tried driving to kalyan and from there to pune to get the feel of open roads to stretch the car a little bit. Also you missed the Misal Pav at Alee Phata

Great Ride though and hats off to your cars to scale the highway and climb the sinnar ghat after 2 years in Hibernation

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:35   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Now only if my Fiat 1100D MMU5324 were to be as perfect as 6466 and 3112. Mr Dhabhar, I have a few questions - 1] Post an early morning cold startup, for how much time should a FIAT 1100 be idled? 2] Did the Padmini S1 really come with a Catalytic Converter? If yes, what would be the prices of a Catalytic Converter and a degassing tank respectively.
Dear FINTAIL - hello to you. I work in Pimpri, I will be delighted to meet you and see MMU5324, I'll guide you in totality. Answers to your questions are as follows:

1. If compression, lubrication, cooling, carburation and ignition systems are perfect (refer Premier Padmini Technical Information thread which defines what is perfect), you can drive off immediately after starting. If these parameters are not perfect, the car won't allow you to drive it properly, so you will have to nurse it till it wakes up.

2. The S1 started sometime in 1993 without the catalytic converter but with the cross flow radiator and degassing tank, although its engineering documentation was released in 1990 as RDS/90/PP/1 (RDS means Release Delete Schedule). From 1995, in order to meet the 1996 emission norms, it was fitted with a catalytic converter, I do not know its price. Degassing tank is no longer available new, you may pick it up from the scrap market if still available, prices are now ridiculously high for no rhyme or reason.

Dear jawabiker / 350biker - I would have loved to meet you guys. Please PM me your contact details, I'll pre-inform you when I come to Nasik next time, you are most welcome to see my cars. I must have driven the Nasik - Pune - Nasik stretch thousands of times (between Satpur and Karve Road to go and from to ARAI), it is a very nice and relaxing drive. I am not a fan of Misal Pav, I prefer Pav Bhaji instead. . By the way, I am missing the lovely Sitaphal icecream of Dairy Don on College Road and the Gujarati Thali of Shivsagar restaurant near Pathardi Phata where I used to live. See you guys soon!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - work on MRY3112 headlights is on in full swing. I have to meet my daily target, signing off now.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 15:29   #144
BHPian

Quote:
As there was a little bit of lane wander due to reduction in tire pressure due to standing for two years, we pumped up the Ceat Safety Drive tires to 32 psi, slightly more than required.
Dear Behrambhai,

Very well written - I somehow enjoy reading your posts. I have 3 questions:
1. Filling air at a petrol pump will give you wrong readings as the tires would be hot/warm & pressure shown would not be accurate. How do you achieve the correct pressure then in that case?
2. If a car is in hibernation, wont the engine oil deteriorate? Oil that had once been in circulation would obviously not be fresh then wont it loose it properties? What is the usual gap you follow between engine oil change?
3. You say you have electric fuel pumps in all your cars. What is the output pressure they give? I have seen electric pumps give more then 4psi which is more then required for carburetor fed engines & cause flooding. How do you control this problem?

Best regards,
K K Vaidya
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 23:41   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Dear Behrambhai - I have 3 questions:

1. Filling air at a petrol pump will give you wrong readings as the tires would be hot/warm & pressure shown would not be accurate. How do you achieve the correct pressure then in that case?
2. If a car is in hibernation, wont the engine oil deteriorate? Oil that had once been in circulation would obviously not be fresh then wont it loose it properties? What is the usual gap you follow between engine oil change?
3. You say you have electric fuel pumps in all your cars. What is the output pressure they give? I have seen electric pumps give more then 4psi which is more then required for carburetor fed engines & cause flooding. How do you control this problem?
Dear Mr.K.K.Vaidya - simple, fill air in tires when they are cold (your friendly neighborhood petrol pump). Oil has shelf life. I never take chances, I am changing all the oils of MRY3112. If fuel pump pressure exceeds design value, the needle valve will not sustain and you will have flooding. Just put another pump, this one has no serviceable parts.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th October 2013, 08:37   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear all – after remaining in hibernation for one year, it was time to use MRF6466 all over once again. This time, the run was from Pune to Nasik (225 kms) where my restored Super Select MRY3112 was parked (in hibernation) for the last two years. The idea was to swap the two cars, MRF6466 moving to Nasik and MRY3112 moving to Pune. So, the preparations started for “operation swap” on Sunday 13 October, this being my only day off.

I ask the question - Did you have to change the oils of MRF6466 and MRY3112 before starting?

OR

Did you simply crank up both the cars, idle them for a couple of minutes and simply drive away?

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 30th October 2013 at 10:08. Reason: Removing entire quote
Old 8th November 2013, 17:41   #147
BHPian

Behram Sir,

Any info about MRF 2784? Seen here parked in a garage in kalina

Regards,
Ranjit
Old 8th November 2013, 19:02   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawabiker View Post
Any info about MRF 2784? Seen here parked in a garage in kalina
I have seen it on the road once - black colour, Padmini fittings.
Old 8th December 2013, 18:18   #149
BHPian

Help in restoration of a 1966 Fiat 1100D

We have a 1966 Fiat 1100D. It has been with us since 1970. It has been sitting idle for a while for about 4-5 months. The following problems are noted:
  1. The car does not move even when in neutral by pushing. May be a brake issue.
  2. In first gear the car moves but on reverse the car stalls. Very high revving required.
  3. The idling is rough and there is a kat-kat sound. May be the point need a bit of cleaning.
  4. The car was started yesterday by installing a new battery. Make-Amaron,model-black
  5. There is some spitting of rust like residue from the exhaust.
  6. The BONNET DOES NOT OPEN COMPLETELY. Doesn't know how this happened but the cross member under the bonnet is bent and the bonnet touches the wiper area causing paint to strip off.
The following are planned:
  1. Full body respray as the doors, underbody etc have started to rust and rot.
  2. Sort out the rough idling. Please do note that a salvage head was installed about six months back.
  3. Do an interior rebuild.
  4. Get rid of the premier badges and get the original steering, console, grill etc.
The FNG is Jagganath Motors, a small garage in Bapuji nagar, Bhubaneswar.
Will upload the pictures tomorrow.
Old 10th December 2013, 17:27   #150
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help in restoration of a 1966 Fiat 1100D

First check if your parking brake is engaged. Otherwise its common for the brakes lining to expand and jam, so you've got to get the hubs open to see for yourself. Looks like your car will need a lot of attention from what you have posted. Like the clutch. The sound while idling will have to be audibly traced, could also be your waterpump.

Start with some pics please.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks