Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2008, 00:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

I vote for the cream colour. My uncle's delight MRD 7529 was a lovely shade of cream. Cyroo you're right, cream looks reeeel classic !
Old 8th December 2008, 23:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hey Behram, any news ? Some updates with pictures please.. a healthy dose of inspiration is needed !
Old 9th December 2008, 08:29   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ravi - MRF6466 work is progressing briskly. I was there on Sunday full day but forgot to take photographs. Sorry. Cyrus, please post some photos soon. It is coming out well. Colour almost finalised as the TATA ACE cream.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2008, 17:51   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all – the status of work completed on MRF6466 is as follows:

The bodywork is complete in all respects. Alignment and shape looks good. Underfloor welding is complete to ensure strength, no squeaks and rattles as well as reasonably decent aesthetics. Now the painstaking work of removing all old paint from the engine compartment has started, for which the engine has been removed out of the car. There was brown colour, a light green under it, the original black under the green and all three are flaking but refuse to come out fully. It is a slow process and I guess I just have to wait patiently. My garage guy is going bonkers and I am becoming extremely unpopular with him (as usual).

However, the major work which I completed last Sunday was that I have replaced the chassis. My shopkeeper was able to dig out a brand new original chassis from somewhere. Don’t ask the price, I can tell you that it pinched me big time and it is not funny but I had no choice as the old chassis was not useable. So I took the new chassis, compared the reference dimensions and found that the deviation was only about 2 mm which is good by any stretch of the imagination. Then I fabricated rudimentary plates from interpolated cross reference dimensions, assembled the same on the chassis and then fully welded the cross members and the various brackets. The chassis was allowed to cool naturally. This prevents distortion. The chassis was then painted in 2 coats of red oxide colour, assembled on the car, taking care for tightening sequence and tightening torque. All the body areas interfacing the chassis are absolutely OK after 41 years, a tribute to correct design. The interfaces were lubricated with high performance grease. Except one bolt which was bad, all original bolts came out perfectly and I used all of them again.

Now I have to put in a new suspension with original spiders / control arms. The brakes will also become new with new master cylinder, wheel cylinders, back plates and liners. Wheel bearings will be new as well, along with brake drums.

Then the car goes for paint. Bahut kaam baaki hai.

Whew!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 17th December 2008 at 17:56. Reason: Remove font
Old 17th December 2008, 22:35   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds great! Pics. please?!
Old 17th December 2008, 23:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Way to go, cheers Behram !
Pictures of the chassis work will be a treat to these tired eyes.
Old 18th December 2008, 00:38   #37

I havent been able to go to the garage in a while now as i am up to my neck in work!! Will definately go tomorrow. So expect some pics tomorrow!! Cya Guys!!
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:10   #38

Here are latest Photos from the Restoration process. As one sees, the car is ready for paint and will be painted this week. The Interior has been treated with a coat of black Paint..
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D-image_311.jpg  

Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D-image_312.jpg  

Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D-image_313.jpg  

Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D-image_314.jpg  

Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D-image_315.jpg  

Old 29th December 2008, 23:40   #39

Just an update. The Engine Goes in Tomorrow. Painting happens Day After tommorrow!! Keeping my fingers crossed!! will be posting Detailed pictures about the engine Implant and paint Process if possible!
Old 1st January 2009, 12:54   #40

The car has just been painted yesterday. It looks stunning.
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
The car has just been painted yesterday. It looks stunning.
Don't write dialogues!!! Please post the photo's as well.
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:46   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

The car was painted on 31 December and now the painstaking process of assembling all new parts like trim etc is underway. Ceat Safety Drive tyres with superselect wheel rims will be fitted tomorrow. Electricals will be the last to go in and will take at least 15 days more to process. We will post photographs soon.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:01   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Don't write dialogues!!! Please post the photo's as well.
Not yet! I will wait till the car is complete and then post pictures. I am heading to the Garage soon anyways. Lots of bits and pieces left to do!!
Old 9th January 2009, 12:24   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all, work completed so far is as follows - all door and door closure trim parts are fitted. As old parts were completely worn out including mechanisms, brand new door lock assemblies and brand new window winders suitable for quarter windows have been fitted (yes, I am fortunate, my shopkeeper seems to be quite motivated by all the business he is getting, he telephones people all over Mumbai and collects parts for me. I collect many things from Nasik also). Glasses have been fitted. Used but quite good condition quarter windows have been fitted as new ones are just not available and the old frames are corroded badly. As I did not want to dismantle the original quarter window glasses, new glasses have been fitted, old ones will be preserved. Front and rear windshield glasses have been fitted. New door trims have been made and are fitted using the aluminium reinforcements which came with the car. As original door handles do not match new winders, new handles have been fitted (I will keep originals safely). New heat insulator has been made and fitted inside the firewall. It covers the original Italian fuse box from the back as this fuse box is now just a dummy, I will be using Maruti 800 fuse box for all the new circuits like headlights due to the Bosch relays which I will be using for my 140 watts headlights. I have added 3 wires to the harness going to the back, one for the electronic fuel pump and one for a new idea for the engine immobilizer which I will be trying for the first time. The harness has been taped completely. A brand new roof trim has been fitted. Old headlights (one is broken), original aluminium tail lights (lenses need to be changed), small lights and original round side signal lights have been fitted temporarily as the complete electrical work is remaining. Battery, battery holddown bracket, battery cables have been fitted. A temporary but fully taped wiring harness has been made to enable cranking, starting ignition and charging systems to operate till the full wiring is in place. A brand new front PU seat has been purchased and it is being re-upholstered today. The original rear seat is alsao getting reupholstered. The original seat covers were there inside the rear seat, although spoilt quite badly. I will keep them at home. They are in light and dark grey combination. The fuel tank was painted, a new tank shield was obtained after a great deal of difficulty and the tank has been fitted. A new Ucal Facet electronic fuel pump has been fitted alongwith Maruti van fuel filter. New fuel pipes are routed to ensure perfect operation and clipped as required. The degassing tank was painted and fitted, using Maruti Zen heater hose clips. The original radiator, which was modified for recieving the degassing tank circuit was painted and fitted. Degassing tank pipes have been clamped as required. Original front and rear bumpers (the thin ones, the rear being the long one with original side supports) were polished and have been fitted. It took around 3 hours to align the long guards perfectly. It is a painful exercise but the end result is worth it. A new 3 mm thick aluminium sheet plate powder coated in white colour was made for the number plate, which was then hand painted and fitted below the front bumper with new brackets. I am trying to salvage the original rear number plate with my painter painstakingly removing the old haphazardly applied painted paint (and cursing me for it) but it seems 50/50 that it will be successful, otherwise I have a new aluminium plate ready. An absolutely original aluminium grille (I have 4 of them) was polished and fitted using M6*1.0 fasteners. Radiator side covers were fitted after fitting the grille. Brand new wiper wheel boxes of Lucas TVS have been obtained. They will be fitted shortly alongwith a brand new wiper motor which is being obtained from Chennai. New engine oil was filled. The engine fired on the first crank and idles / accelerates properly. A brand new steering gear has been fitted, alongwith a new firewall rubber. 220cc of SAE140 oil has been filled in it as per specification. A new gear lever is being obtained as the old one has rusted badly. All gears operate perfectly. The rear suspension has been overhauled but I have not touched the original leaf springs (tapered leaves) as ride comfort is very good.

I do not think there is anything left to do now except fit the seats and get the electricals done, which in any case takes a lot of time. First drive this Sunday - hopefully! Photographs after completion.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th January 2009, 14:49   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The original rear seat is alsao getting reupholstered. The original seat covers were there inside the rear seat, although spoilt quite badly. I will keep them at home. They are in light and dark grey combination.
I thought, the car originally being black, the seat covers would come in red?? Or some tan colour (as I've seen in some black delights)

Most Viewed