Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 20:52   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
If the tyres were missing, its most probably scrapped by now!! :( Sad situations sometimes....
You were right it is no longer there. Really sad situation.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:04   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - reviving this thread. MRF6466 is safely parked in Pune from June 2010. So safely, that an enterprising rat ate away the alternator wiring connector and the petrol pipe after the fuel pump. . As there was no battery in the car, no possibility of a short circuit. I have renewed these parts temporarily and started the engine, which starts with a flick of the ignition key, idles beautifully, accelerates briskly and throws a lot of water from the tail pipe. I will replace the complete alternator wiring again this Sunday.

After the cover is off (I use a Honda City car cover for all my cars, it fits perfectly), the car needs a good wash also.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 13:20   #123
Senior - BHPian

@ Dhabhar Sir - you mentioned that the car remained idle since 2010 and that it starts and idles perfectly - but what about the petrol in the tank? Do you keep the tank full or, drain the petrol before it goes into hibernation?
Old 21st June 2012, 16:44   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sumantra - hello after a long time. Earlier, in all my cars, I used to keep fuel lines routed to be able to connect a jerry can in series before the fuel pump but this time I did not do so. I started on the June 2010 petrol which was inside the tank. Old petrol smells a little funny and feels sticky to touch otherwise performance is not affected. Also, physically I remove the battery from the car when it goes into hibernation (longer than a polar bear I suppose), so there was no battery in it. Between my 4 cars, I have 3 batteries only. They all circulate because my left hand drive was in regular use, so it is OK. I connect the battery, start the electronic fuel pump which is there in all my cars, wait for a good 5 minutes to fill the fuel pump / carburettor, then flick the ignition key and the engine roars to life.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - this jerry can method was used by us to conduct city fuel consumption test in those days in PAL. It takes less than a minute to connect / disconnect.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 17:04   #125
BHPian

BEHRAM sir good to know that even after almost 2yrs, car did not hesitate to start with negligible efforts.

I have a similar situation here, as my S1 Petrol model - 95 is dormant from past 8 months. Now i am going to relocate it to my Native from Pune and need to get it ready for highway running about 400 kms odd.

Planning to change all the oils (engine oil, break fluide - which is almost drained, differential oil need to check) so couple of things on my list now.

Last edited by S1FIAT : 21st June 2012 at 17:05. Reason: changed wordings
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:11   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1FIAT View Post
I have a similar situation here, as my S1 Petrol model - 95 is dormant from past 8 months. Now i am going to relocate it to my Native from Pune and need to get it ready for highway running about 400 kms odd. Planning to change all the oils (engine oil, break fluide - which is almost drained, differential oil need to check) so couple of things on my list now.
Dear S1FIAT - I work in Pune only. Please PM me your mobile number, we can meet. I will guide you in totality. Don't change things just like that.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:38   #127
Senior - BHPian

Dear Behramji, One question. I have a SS80 which I don't want to be taken out in the monsoon season; you know about the Kerala monsoons. How to preserve the battery.
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:02   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]

PS - this jerry can method was used by us to conduct city fuel consumption test in those days in PAL. It takes less than a minute to connect / disconnect.
Jerry can in series method seems interesting. Let me know how you do it with an electronic fuel pump. Was under the impression that its possible only with a mechanical fuel pump in the engine bay.
Have tried that once with my trusted mechanic, the pipe was routed through the firewall to a bottle held in the passenger cabin.
On that test run my S1 gave 13 kmpl in city traffic. Test costed just Rs. 45, that was the price of a litre of petrol.

Behram- Now you know why I was so reluctant to let it go.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:40   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Jerry can in series method seems interesting. Let me know how you do it with an electronic fuel pump. Was under the impression that its possible only with a mechanical fuel pump in the engine bay.
Dear Kavesh - simple. As you know, in all my fiats, the electronic fuel pump is in the spare wheel well. The additional connection is made before the mechanical fuel pump by routing a long flexible pipe through the speedometer cable hole in the firewall and when the test is to be conducted, by electrically disconnecting the electronic fuel pump. The car runs on the mechanical pump. I have conducted Mumbai - Pune - Mumbai highway fuel consumption test also with the car running merrily on the jerry can, 152 kms each way.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 12:13   #130
Senior - BHPian

i was watching VH1 today and suddenly found something interesting

MRF 6466 was featured in this music video (i think)

Old 1st October 2012, 16:31   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - We (my son Cyrus and I), took MRF6466 out of hibernation for the Pune Vintage Car Fiesta held on Sunday 16 September. This is what happened:

Early morning 0600 hrs below my building (I live on the 6th floor), Cyrus started the car. It roared to life and brought a smile to my face, just to hear the roar 6 floors up! Around 2 hours of thorough washing and drying meant that it gleamed like new. Those bumpers and that grille are what makes it stand apart. We started from my house at 0800 hrs, had a quick bite at a good Udupi restaurant and drove leisurely to a petrol pump. With the original Italian engine, coupled to a complete S1 exhaust system consisting of the cast exhaust manifold, twin front pipes, AVL designed original muffler and a 50 mm ID tail pipe, it sounded and behaved like a well tuned thoroughbred all the way but I did not push it. For a first drive after standing for 2 years in one place, it was a hell of a performance. The engine, clutch, transmission, suspension, brakes, everything worked as it should. As always, I remembered my revered teacher, the late Mr.Anil Patel's words of January 1977, which reinforced my belief in myself once again. His words were "Behram, there is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way".

We stopped at a good IOC petrol pump and added 500 rupees worth of petrol. Every start was instantaneous, a flick of the ignition key, resulted in a muted roar every time. As there was a little bit of lane wander due to reduction in tire pressure due to standing for two years, we pumped up the Ceat Safety Drive tires to 32 psi, slightly more than required. The handling got restored, manual steering became power steering! Then onwards, it was a relevation. We majestically entered the "Le Meridien" at around 0900 hrs with a muted roar! We were delighted to meet Dilip Desai, my rally driving mentor, Shrikant Apte, the ever smiling genial gentleman and also Vilas Sunkersett, all from MASA (Maharashtra Automotive Sports Association). For me, it was 1982 all over again, including the repeat of a 1982 conversation, which went like this - "Behram, the way this engine is sounding, is this your full rally prepared A1-A engine"? "No", I said, "it is the Italian engine with the S1 exhaust which is delivering this performance. The engine is original, as yet unopened". We were then guided to the correct parking slot, where we parked in the company of other equally deserving / beautifully maintained / restored cars. After the event, we drove (this time quite fast) back home, parked the car in the stilt garage below my house, removed the battery and covered the car. Till next time, that is!

As I am not much of a photographer, I am taking the liberty of re-posting the photograph which Karl has posted in the event thread on the forum. Enjoy, and any comments are obviously welcome. This is what makes the whole thing worth it!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of MRF6466 - my 1967 Fiat 1100D-fiat09.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 16:39   #132
Senior - BHPian

Behram car looked absolutely superb! Can i urge you to please consider putting on the hubcaps even if powder coated to match the colour of the rims. Will take your car to another level. A drive is definately due why not plan a overnight tripper to some place with our cars. regards Amol
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:02   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Amol - thanks for your comments. I have a good stock of original wheel caps at home, all gleaming, so no need for powder coating. Obviously I do not keep the wheel caps on the car when it is parked, they are sure to get stolen. The small black hub caps as fitted do the job of keeping dust off the wheel bearings perfectly and look quite decent too. But you are correct, next time I will fit the wheel caps when I bring the car for the events. There is a small practical problem. The car is in Pune, the wheel caps are in Mumbai.

After the monsoon, I may take the car to Mumbai for regular use during the dry season, obviously I will have only the black hub caps on it for regular use.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:17   #134
BHPian

MRF 6466 at the Pune MASA Rally 23rd Sept 2012

Congratulations dear Behram and Cyrus,

The picture of MRF 6466 with a super and gleaming bodyline at the Pune MASA event looks stunning.

A wonderful FIAT 1100D to appreciate its professional resto and could be taken to another level with OE silver wheels (my humble suggestion) and hub caps (as Amol suggested).

Cheers,

Rony
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:36   #135
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Behram Sir: All your FIATs ROCK, nothing new about it.

Please finalize a date for the Belgaum meet. We will be there for SURE!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks