Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2009, 23:20   #211
BHPian

Ravi,
A couple of comments having just download the great photos into my photo album and my favorite are the shots with the lights on.

I noticed your road clearance was quite high. Was it set up that way or will it settle down a little? Did you put new shocks in and if so what type?

On our car they had added extra leafs to the rear springs which to my eyes didn't look that great as the back end was to high. I had Sanjay remove the extra springs but as he couldn't find the rubber bushings that the bolts go through, he put in something else that is so tight that the car rides like an unloaded truck. I put in about 120 lb sand bags in the trunk to try and loosen things up with out a lot of success.

Any chance someone can help me sort this out?
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-dscf0018.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-3.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 1st May 2009 at 23:24. Reason: add a photo
Old 1st May 2009, 23:26   #212
Senior - BHPian

Excellent job Ravi. The car just looks great. When do i get to hop on for a ride.

We should actually take my car and yours for a ride together. That will get some attention
Old 2nd May 2009, 00:41   #213
Senior - BHPian

Inspiring !

Guys, all your comments are really really inspiring, and are the stuff that makes it worth all the efforts one goes through in a resto ! Thanks all of you, from the heart.
The journey however, is far from over, and has only just begun ! My engine bay is still quite a mess, and needs to be sorted. (Rony, Behram, Adheesh.. help !). The suspension needs work. Detailing is required in many places, and so forth.
But I guess this is what the essence of owning a classic is. A journey that lasts forever, a work in progress, a story that goes on and on.
@ Rony - So which car will give 6839 company this sunday ? Thanks for your comments man !
@ Suren - Chief, you gifted me a brand new grille and set the ball rolling - remember ?!?
@ John - Thanks again John, your comments on my journey are really "special" ! About the suspension, yes, I do have a similar issue of extra leaf springs. However, my mechanic says it'll be sorted once the car is properly loaded and run. The sand bags are a good idea. I believe Gogi (V-16) had a similar issue with his special.
On the "restoration costs thread" - i think this is a great idea. Team BHP is all about camaraderie and sharing. I am all for creating a thread in which actual costs incurred on parts, sourcing, labour, etc as well as overall costs of a resto are shared. I think this is a wonderful idea. Before starting my journey I was myself apprehensive about the probable costs that I may have to incur, and such a thread will be of great help to newcomers as well as first timers to any particular model..
@ Gogi - thanks a ton mate, looking forward to seeing your 'special' this sunday !
Meanwhile, some more pictures - The Bus that you see in picture number 3, gave us a real scare. While we were clicking away, this monstrosity passed us, and the next second we heard a sickening " THUP.. CRASH !" One of the glasses of the bus just fell off, and shattered on the road.. Had it happened TWENTY FEET before, it was curtains for MRX 6839. And had it happened TEN FEET before, it was curtains for Adheesh Parelkar and Ravi Nene . Providence saved us, as did the good luck 6839 has brought !
Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-dscf0022.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-dscf0021.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-dscf0016.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2009, 13:24   #214
BHPian

Ravi Sir,

Excellent job on the car. She has turned out to be a real beauty. As your tin work guy once said " Maske Jaise Lagna Chahiye." or something to that effect! Sure looks like MASKA!
Hats off to the amount of time, effort and energy you have dedicated to the restoration of the car.
Great pics too. Keep them coming and have a nice time at the meet on the 3rd.
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:45   #215
Senior - BHPian

Car looks great bro nice paint finish. Please upload some snaps of the dash and engine bay
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:16   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Woooowww Ravi!! Excellent yAru!! Your hard work has ultimately paid off, through and through!

As for the glass crash from the bus, I'm glad that was a close call!

'wonder if someone by any chance sung the song "Teri pyaari pyaari soorat ko, kisi ki nazar na lage...chashme baddoor.." before you took the car out?
Old 2nd May 2009, 21:28   #217
Senior - BHPian

@ Gautam - Thanks buddy. Hope to see you at the FCCCI meet !
@ Wasif - Thanks a ton man ! Hey the engine bay's still to be worked on, not worth showing off. That I guess will be the phase two of this project, along with the interiors and mechanicals.
Couldn't get too good pics of the dash, but here goes.
@ Shyam - Thanks mAmu ! Actually when I saw her I burst into the following song - with - dance sequence -
"AE meri zohra jabee
Tujhe mAloom nahin,
Tu abhi tak hain haseen Aur main jawaAn..
Tujhpe qurbAn meri jaAn meri jaAn !!"
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-dscf0028.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-dscf0030.jpg  

Old 10th May 2009, 21:29   #218
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Ravi, she is indeed looking beautiful. Was away from the forum for a few days and hence missed this thread. congrats on a job (very) well done!! once the interior is complete i'm sure she'll look even better. Please do post some larger pix.

P.S: I think we've started a real trend for two tones on the forum!
Old 10th May 2009, 22:00   #219
Senior - BHPian

Lovely job Ravi. I have so many fond memories of this car. Have had so much fun with it. I'm glad it is with someone who really values the machine and cares for it. Hope to see her in the flesh soon

Well done. This is nostalgic.
Old 11th May 2009, 08:44   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ravi - so, when do we see the "jali" behind the front seat?. I am trying to get hold of the aluminium beading above the net for you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th May 2009, 00:24   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Wow! Ravi, she is indeed looking beautiful. Was away from the forum for a few days and hence missed this thread. congrats on a job (very) well done!! once the interior is complete i'm sure she'll look even better. Please do post some larger pix.

P.S: I think we've started a real trend for two tones on the forum!
Thanks Jay. We'll need to have a "TeamBHP white and blue meet" pretty soon .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Lovely job Ravi. I have so many fond memories of this car. Have had so much fun with it. I'm glad it is with someone who really values the machine and cares for it. Hope to see her in the flesh soon
Well done. This is nostalgic.
Hey Dips, your feedback is most valued ! Let's take her for a spin one of these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ravi - so, when do we see the "jali" behind the front seat?. I am trying to get hold of the aluminium beading above the net for you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I'm desperately waiting to have the net on the seat ! What a world of difference it makes to the look. I can never thank you enough for giving it to me . Wow the aluminium beading will be "sone pe suhaga !"

Last edited by SuperSelect : 12th May 2009 at 00:26.
Old 12th May 2009, 02:01   #222
BHPian

Ravi,

Away from the forum for a few days and your baby is born.. rather reborn. Congrats man, she is gorgeous.

Enjoy.
Vijay
Old 17th May 2009, 22:34   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Ravi,

Away from the forum for a few days and your baby is born.. rather reborn. Congrats man, she is gorgeous.

Enjoy.
Vijay
Hey thanks Vijay ! Btw what's the status on your dear Padmini ? Do post some updates.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:14   #224
BHPian

Yes sir.. First coat of paint is on the car..will try and post the pics on the thread tomorrow.

Vijay
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:56   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@ Gautam - Thanks buddy. Hope to see you at the FCCCI meet !
@ Wasif - Thanks a ton man ! Hey the engine bay's still to be worked on, not worth showing off. That I guess will be the phase two of this project, along with the interiors and mechanicals.
Couldn't get too good pics of the dash, but here goes.
@ Shyam - Thanks mAmu ! Actually when I saw her I burst into the following song - with - dance sequence -
"AE meri zohra jabee
Tujhe mAloom nahin,
Tu abhi tak hain haseen Aur main jawaAn..
Tujhpe qurbAn meri jaAn meri jaAn !!"
Excellent job done SS. I think its the patience and the motto "just do it" that paid off. Hope your car's engine bay job will also get done soon.The car looks like a factory fresh example.
True it is! QURBAAN -Tujhpe Qurbaan Meri Jaan, Mera Dil Mera Imaan,Yaari Meri Kehti Hain, MRX 6839 pe karde Sub Qurbaan!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd June 2009 at 20:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks